Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Why should I sell my house when I paid for it, live there, pay my taxes and housing prices are too high to move let alone allow young people to buy it?
You shouldn't, but the issue comes in with the prevention of multifamily houses in the general area so that there becomes a significant scarcity of places to live. On top of that artificial limitations on market adjustment in regards to price-fixing in the form of yearly adjustment percent increases (how much the government can increase the value of the land yearly thus how much taxes are owed is decoupled from the market value of the land, rent control etc) while it prevents people from being priced out of their home it also prevents the market from correctly adjusting to the demand and allowing for significant inflation of housing caused by artificial scarcity.

That's crazy thinking.
That's why we drink more alcohol.

Our economies were crashing before COVID, most people live on debt owed to lenders. Endless government spending on war and intervrntions have weakened the dollar. Social security being in a general fund often raided by congress. 401k a scheme to make corporations rich and placate people into thinking they are saving for retirement instead of burdening companies to set asside for worker pensions. Trickle down economics giving tax breaks to the rich making the rich richer and not trickling down the wealth and tax payer funded corporate bailouts have gutted the middle class.

We can go on. but it isnt a generational problem. The problem is largely deregulation coupled with rising manufacturing competition from India, China and elsewhere.

COVID merely is bringing about the inevitable sooner, identifying the problem for us as the rich report record earnings and bonuses DURING and after the crisis.

Im not against being rich, but the system is broken.

Correct lots of country's economies were indeed on the verge of crashing prior to covid and so it did not take much to crash them, and even those that were not given the dynamics of a global economy will get pulled down with everyone else. There are lots of things that go into some of the topics you have touched on and the end result is a lot of speculation and economists attempting to explain how things work with their own crafted models.

While you are correct that there is a great deal of class warfare (well more just two classes anymore) there is also a generational stratification that I was attempting to showcase as it tied back into the conversation about covid and the repercussions on the younger generations for the benefit of the older generations as pointed out by @ColdDog. While I do not think that those unable to contribute to a country's GDP should be fed to the wolves there is something to be said that they also shouldn't be treated like kings on the back of their children.

While this is an interesting topic I would suggest it would be more beneficial to split it off into its own thread if there is any interests.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Interesting article from JAMA:

Interestingly, splitting the time period into two (March 2020 - December 2020, then Jan 2021 - October 2021):

Here are the leading causes of death for both time periods, in a rather busy table:
View attachment 23173
Super interesting to see the 2021 data and '19 ranking in thr top 5 for 15 to 24 year olds and every age group afer that, was not expecting.

Rise in indirext deaths was expected as the health systems struggled to cope and COVID deaths may have been attributed to other illnesses.

I presume critics could just claim prexisting conditions were the major factor especially in the yoingest age groups and they would have died anyway as the article does not mention it?

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
A bit of sad news this morning. CrashTD lost his father to COVID complications this morning. He was fighting for a while, was in ICU, got off intubation but too much damage was already done. Our thoughts with you!

View attachment 23174
Scincerest condolences to CrashTD, friends and family.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Omicron sucked bad, but only took us 4 or 5 days to get through with no hospitalizations. But ever since (had it in Feb), I need a jacket if I'm in anywhere below 75F for more than about 5mins. Also, any time I even get remotely sick now (head-cold, mystery 48hr virus, anything...), all my joints hurt like a banshee for 4-5 days, and I move like a 90yo.
Thanks for your expiriance, hope those Long effects lift soon and glad to hear they are not more impactful.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Yes.

It's not to say that some will still achieve greatness even despite the hardships that they have faced. But how much further would they have been able to go if not held back 2 years and the rest there has been a significant drop in what kids have learned and accomplished as well as a considerable lack of motivation having experienced uninterrupted freedom from any responsibility. While my oldest was just entering kindergarten and my wife stays home with the kids and so the impact wasn't as drastically its still noticeable in the difference in her education experience and social development compared to her sister who did not do distance learning while in kindergarten. And then I look at family members who have high school students with both parents who work and the outcome was as if the teen was off doing drugs as the commitment and drive for school while present before is completely gone.

But it's the same story played out in many other areas with the older generation enslaving the younger generations by economic means through taxing by social security, medicare, 401k, refusing to sell houses or allow other houses to be built nearby. So they have wisely set up a system that allows them to profit off the work of their children and children's children while having never had to pay much to themselves. And while it works as long as future generations continue an exponential growth like any good pyramid scheme it's not sustainable.

But to tie it back into the last two years the current economic woes are just the starting groans of the system failing. You cannot shut down the world's economy without having to pay the price and in this case, we borrowed heavily against our children's future in the same way we have been borrowing against their future for a long time and we are starting to see those bills come due. And looking back in history I am sure we will experience a great deal of economic and political turmoil like was seen after major wars in the countries that fought them. And in fact, these are the conditions that easily give rise to dictators and atrocities. Humanity will recover and life will go on but the question is still valid, was it worth it? Did any of the actions do anything to save anyone? Or would have done nothing resulted in the same virus outcome but a far more stable economy?
I don't believe those two years are unrecoverable however do understand why consensus is that they are. But I say not in todays era. The early 1900's and the 40's, no they didnt have the infrastructure but since the 2000's we are living in the Information Age and we have the tools to make sure the impact is minimised. It'll just take time (proably more than 2 years) and a little money to run the programmes and that lifetime impact can be negated. We just have to actually do it.

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
A bit of sad news this morning. CrashTD lost his father to COVID complications this morning. He was fighting for a while, was in ICU, got off intubation but too much damage was already done. Our thoughts with you!

View attachment 23174
That's very sad news. Also want to wish my condolences to Crash & his family.

Anecdotally, I've known more friends/co-workers to have COVID in the last month than at any other time. I'm a nerd, and don't have many friends, and my friends probably aren't representative of the population at large...but I do hope people are careful out there! I think the biggest problem right now is complacency...the new BA4 & BA5 variants are highly (!!) transmissible, and starting to become the dominant strain. Wearing a mask is definitely not a bad idea!

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
I respect your opinion and i have a question - Do you consider those childrens 2 years truly unrecoverable?
Yes (stop). There are certain things in life you can't take back and one of them is your experience as a child. These experiences define who you are later in life. You learn how to communicate, love, critically think. This is human development and it has been this way 200,000 years. In the past 40 years, of those 200k, we have had computers, game consoles, and smart phones - technology improving at a log rhythmic rate. Do you honestly think this is normal to have a child isolated behind a computer all day? I would say no, its not. Kids should be out playing basketball with their friends and learning history from their teachers with their friends around for support. Not in some inhumane isolated environment. People have not evolved to handle this mentally yet (isolation with computers). So, I say, progress is coming fast, faster than we can biologically evolve. We have been taught to take the easy way and we have machines do our work for us, but human biology does not change as fast as technology. So, I say, we're going to have a generation of children to be adults with serious problems. This is already evidenced by the suicide and crime rates.

Look, I lost my father when I was 5. I grew up dirt poor in a rented trailer. I learned from my peers how to act (still working on that part) and what to do. I went to the military right out of high school, all my friends went to college. I followed their lead and here I am, doing pretty well as another over educated dummy and raising my family the best I can. Just because you took a different path does not mean it is the best path - there are many paths... but children need stability (proven fact).

My best friend, his daughter was so distraught by losing her senior year of high school/friends that she tried to kill herself last summer - she was so depressed she got caught up in drugs and the wrong crowd during the lockdown. She was an A+ student, headed to an academy and went sideways. Second, I lost my cousin to a fentanyl overdose... so, I think I have seen this misery up close and personal.

I blame society, and yes, I think the worst is yet to come - a bunch of unsocialized people entering a world that is chaotic where there are no rules... math is not math, history is not history... what the hell does this do to a person who already has no foundation? I'm not a psychologist but I am pretty sure the answer to my question is pretty bad.

Reactions: Bambooza

LurchLord

Space Marshal
Apr 30, 2016
RSI Handle
LurchLord
Speaking of 2 years, after being careful and socially distant since Rona started AND getting my 3 Biontech-Pokes, I am nevertheless now part of the German Rona Statistics.
No matter what you do, no matter how careful you are, it WILL get you at some point.

Back to bed for me, good night.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Speaking of 2 years, after being careful and socially distant since Rona started AND getting my 3 Biontech-Pokes, I am nevertheless now part of the German Rona Statistics.
No matter what you do, no matter how careful you are, it WILL get you at some point.
My wife came down with COVID last Friday... so, here we are again. 2nd or 3rd time for me, even with the vaccinations. I'm use to it at this point.

Reactions: Bambooza

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Back to bed for me, good night.
Thanks for letting us know, take care and have a good time catching up with your TV shows!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
That's very sad news. Also want to wish my condolences to Crash & his family.

Anecdotally, I've known more friends/co-workers to have COVID in the last month than at any other time. I'm a nerd, and don't have many friends, and my friends probably aren't representative of the population at large...but I do hope people are careful out there! I think the biggest problem right now is complacency...the new BA4 & BA5 variants are highly (!!) transmissible, and starting to become the dominant strain. Wearing a mask is definitely not a bad idea!
Indeed people are becoming complacent and returning to their regularly scheduled lives, it's also why covid really is no longer showcased in the media and has become more background noise. As I have said since the beginning this virus while elevated over the common cold will become just one more of the seasonal flu we live with and while I am still shocked at the herculean effort that went into global lockdowns and other efforts to try and curb the spread of the virus to questionable effect we are now just starting to see the costs we will have on our lives for years to come.

But I have little hope the lessons have been learned as short-mindedness seems to be the common rule, For instance, how quickly here in the USA people blame Biden for the current gas prices, and while he had limited responsibility for it as it was mostly a ramification of the prior years over surplus and issues with finding places to store the crude, its still sad to see him trying to blame it on Russia.

I still would like to see studies that look at the data and show if the lockdowns did anything and if mask-wearing really has any impact in the wild on virus spreading rates. The other question is if it does, is that a good thing or does it just prolong the situation and hampers society's economic future. We have already seen the impacts on children living in sterile environments and the repercussions of communities not being exposed to global viruses when a virus does show up.

This is not to downplay the sadness and pain this strain of covid brought, but to ask the question. Did we do more harm than good with our actions over the past few years, would it have been better to have done nothing at all? Was there any improvement in the outcome or would it simply have played out the same way no matter what we did or did not do?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I still would like to see studies that look at the data and show if the lockdowns did anything and if mask-wearing really has any impact in the wild on virus spreading rates.
This data has been out for a long time already, just look at Australia which had some of the toughest lock downs. Care to guess what dates the lock downs happened and when they were lifted? Its not rocket science. The less large scale interactions, the less spread, the less infections, the less deaths.

1657304643178.png

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
This data has been out for a long time already, just look at Australia which had some of the toughest lock downs. Care to guess what dates the lock downs happened and when they were lifted? Its not rocket science. The less large scale interactions, the less spread, the less infections, the less deaths.

View attachment 23175
You are glossing over how easy omicron was to spread and how many countries with and without mask mandates and social distancing all had significant bumps at the same time. This graph even if not taking into account different strains also ask the question if Australias lockdowns did anything or if it simply pushed the infection down the road as it seems as soon as the last lockdown ended they spiked while other countries have shown a tapering off over the same time period.

1657306041443.png

1657306128998.png

Even when we take a look at other southern hemisphere countries due to cold weather seems to increase virus loading we see the same general trend.

1657306192577.png

From this one could easily say that lockdowns do not protect the population simply delay it. I am sure there is far more to the story, but the question still stands do masks work? Lockdowns as shown by Australia do in fact work at slowing down/preventing the spread (at what costs) but cannot be kept up indefinitely which seems to be required as the graph by @Montoya shows as soon as the lockdowns end the spread of the virus and death counts trend upwards. So while it can be said lockdowns work in the short term they do nothing to reduce the total deaths due to covid just delay when it happens.

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
You are glossing over how easy omicron was to spread and how many countries with and without mask mandates and social distancing all had significant bumps at the same time.
And you are glossing over several things as well. You can't be selective in your argument and not allow selectivity from others.

You are also wrong about the purpose of wearing a mask. Do you remember what that was for? Apparently not from recent comments... but I think you actually do know. You're just not discussing it because it does not match your narrative.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
If the argument is "masks do nothing" the I will refer you to my sister who works at an airline. Soon as they dropped mask requirements, a huge number of flight attendants started catching covid to the point that they were getting short staffed. Im not sure how this is even a debate.

Anything that stops your cough and spit from flying into my face will be helpful.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
And you are glossing over several things as well. You can't be selective in your argument and not allow selectivity from others.

You are also wrong about the purpose of wearing a mask. Do you remember what that was for? Apparently not from recent comments... but I think you actually do know. You're just not discussing it because it does not match your narrative.
We have indeed had many conversations over the past few years about the purpose of masks and their usefulness in preventing the spread of viruses. My stance has always been while N95 masks without any airway bypass, worn correctly and not touched can statistically significantly (p-value greater than 0.05 ) reduce the chances that the infected individual will spread the virus onto others. But that outside of perfect lab conditions in the general population there have been lots of studies that show both limited if any impact as well as studies that show significant impact and that the debate has not been settled simply decisive (tribal cherry-picking that supports their view). It has been my view that very few people are wearing an effective mask correctly and that most mask-wearing is more security blanket/virtual signal (both mask-wearing/ non maks wearing) than an effective means of prevention. Lockdowns have proven a short-term effective means of slowing down/preventing the spread of the virus but at what costs and does it permanently reduce or simply delay? And my stance on lockdowns is it simply delays at a significant cost.

If the argument is "masks do nothing" the I will refer you to my sister who works at an airline. Soon as they dropped mask requirements, a huge number of flight attendants started catching covid to the point that they were getting short staffed. Im not sure how this is even a debate.

Anything that stops your cough and spit from flying into my face will be helpful.
Anecdotal evidence glosses over all the variables that come into play. Even best-case lab tests show only a small decrease in cross infection and so it would be more realistic to assume that the strain and close proximity as well as if they were verified cases or assumed cases based upon symptoms, the other aspect is the randomness of infection could simply be they would have become a hot spot with or without masks and thus the randomness of infections has to be scaled over a larger population to see its true metric.

Reactions: ColdDog

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Anecdotal evidence glosses over all the variables that come into play.
Im not sure if you need to hear this or not, but if you dont want to wear a mask, go for it, nobody is going to be upset.

Me personally, if there are two identical stores side by side, one is full of people wearing masks, the other has nobody wearing masks, all coughing and wheezing... Im going into the store with people wearing the masks. I dont need a peer reviewed study to decide if I want to breath your spit and coughs into my mouth.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
So while it can be said lockdowns work in the short term they do nothing to reduce the total deaths due to covid just delay when it happens.

During the initial waves there were a lot of deaths because ERs got overwhelmed and we were not sure how to deal with it. As more people got the vaccine, death rates dropped. To say that lockdowns did nothing but delayed the spread would be true, but that delay allowed a great percentage of the population to get vaccinated and have less severe symptoms, like not dying.

Im not sure what the debate is here, are you saying that doing nothing vs doing something would be yield the same results in terms of total people dying from the start of the pandemic to today?

Forgot your password?