Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

AccidentProne8

Space Marshal
Apr 12, 2015
RSI Handle
accidentproneeight
Just for clarity, the issue is the lack of evidence of due diligence on the part of the company with respect to their own claims about the product i.e. a manufacturer cannot advertise or promote a controlled substance using language that insinuates something that is unsupported by their filings (evidence required) with regulatory agencies.

These rules apply in almost all countries and include anything that's usage includes putting in or on your body. Food, drugs, cosmetics, etc. are all generally included. Things like clothing can be, if they are made from substances that are controlled.

The fine for making an unsubstantiated claim is hefty in most countries.

I work in a controlled substance industry, for 25 years - either for the regulatory agencies or directly with the companies they regulate.
Oh, are you thinking there might be some kind of liability coming down the pike? Somehow I doubt it, corporations get away with murder.

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Oh, are you thinking there might be some kind of liability coming down the pike? Somehow I doubt it, corporations get away with murder.
I think that's what the attempt is about in the Netherlands anyway. In the drug industry, murder is an option but it has to be in the drug's published material.... that actually makes it kind of OK. lol.
Go figure. There is often a dual purpose for some of the regulations, one is to control the industry, the other is to assist with promoting the industry.

Reactions: Bambooza

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I'm always looking for data that show us something (maybe) about the effects of the pandemic. I thought this was interesting, the 2021 life insurance payments made to survivors increased over the 2020 payments. The interesting bit is that the 2020 increase from 2019 represented the biggest year-to-year increase in payouts since the 1918 influenza pandemic. So, some serious shit...

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Aloha space cadets,

As the months progress the part of the world I am in moves toward autumn and the prospect of COVID -19 once again comes in to focus, headlines this morning discussing vaccine drives and potential waves:

It's likely as predicted by many from the start it would become just another awkward flu style issue to contend with.

On the private vaccination purchase article, it's a bit odd for me here in the UK I mostly pay over-the-counter for medicines which target symptoms like pain killers, hayfever tablets etc. Buying medication that is preventative or treating ailments is different as I've already paid for what is deemed required through specific National Isurance tax and general taxation and provided via the NHS, so it can't be deemed required for the majority.

If a major non-lethal wave does occur I'm left wondering if the $100 or so per dose would save the country money in the long run as it would prevent lost productivity through sick days...?

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
If a major non-lethal wave does occur I'm left wondering if the $100 or so per dose would save the country money in the long run as it would prevent lost productivity through sick days...?
Good to keep some attention on this topic, @NaffNaffBobFace. Surely that's an emphatic yes, if that really is the whole cost of vaccinating a patient. According to the ONS, "Average weekly earnings for total pay was £648 and for regular pay was £603 in April 2023". Being purely mercenary about it - which is absolutely not the right ethical or political basis for deciding whether or not to run a mass-vaccination programme against covid - the return on treasury investment for vaccinating everyone, even the return in GDP, seems borderline. I'm not sure the expected reduction in loss of tax revenue due to people being out of work due to a bout of winter covid justifies the cost, and even the reduction in loss of GDP it should create is probably not break-even. But I really hope that's not how we decide things. when you factor in the reduction in pressure on hospitals and the impact on hospital staff and on patients being treated for other things, and the potential to save some lives, prevent misery and suffering and just 'doing good', it feels like an easy 'yes' to me. It is surely worth funding another round of mass vaccinations before winter, and not just for the most vulnerable.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Given the mutations and reports of limited effectiveness of the vaccine nor any deviation between those who have been vaccinated and those who haven't compound by vaccine complications risks and thus your left with limited if any benefit beyond the current suggestion of vaccinations of the vulnerable.

It's the same outcome of the yearly flu shot and while many take it the studies do not show it has and measuserable positive impact on the flu season beyond the psychological impact some have with feeling like it does. While the placebo effect shouldn't be discounted as a positive result it could be achieved safer with a saline solution shot.

As for covid it's been around for ages and will be around for many more years to come and whole this strain was slightly elevated in its fatality at the start its fallen back in line with its family.

As such if you feel getting a vaccine will make you feel better then by all means as the risk of complications is low, but don't be surprised when you still get covid. Just like you still get sick after the flu shot.

Or get the swine flu as that cold seemed to supercharge ones immune system as it was years before I had the sniffles from the common cold again.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Private sales of COVID vaccines appear to take a step closer to reality in UK:

"Some employers might want to offer the vaccines to their staff" - that may well be the source of much private spend on vaccines, especially for critical staff members who the cost of the vaccine would be insignificant compared to the loss 2 weeks off sick would incur.

Being purely mercenary about it
Well, this is what I've learned about modern life since 2019 - It's pretty much all about the money. If you can't present a case which results in more cash moving post-action (or defence of the cash moving at the moment) no action will be taken regardless of ethical or moral angles or arguments... and it always was.

Last edited:

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
Well, this is what I've learned about modern life since 2019 - It's pretty much all about the money.
Yeah, ofc you're right. I don't see that changing, but it would be nice to think it isn't the only basis for a policy decision. To @Bambooza's point I could change my mind if the evidence does show insufficient public and economic benefit from a mass vaccination programme. I'll look into that some more.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Well, this is what I've learned about modern life since 2019 - It's pretty much all about the money. If you can't present a case which results in more cash moving post-action (or defence of the cash moving at the moment) no action will be taken regardless of ethical or moral angles or arguments... and it always was.
Sad, but true...

...meanwhile...I just started reading this article:

Reactions: Bambooza

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Sad, but true...

...meanwhile...I just started reading this article:
The thing is most of that profit is not from a paycheck but from the windfall from long held stock options, vesting and scheduled selling typically to diversify their stock holding. If you look at their paycheck income while high its typically much closer in size from their employees. So it's not so much they get a bonus or eye watering paychecks so much as their stock grants and corporate success pushes their stock options to astronomical heights and in fact you too could have benefited by buying stocks in Moderna.

I to benefit from yearly stock grants that vest over a four year period. If I am fired or quit any stocks not vested are lost. And while I do not have as much of an impact on stock prices as a ceo would I enjoy the ups and cry a little when it drops.

As for ceo stock options its typically strucked slightly different with vesting at the end of a period or after specific goals are met and as much as there are huge windfalls there are plenty who loose out big because the company tanked.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Last edited:
Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik
Forgot your password?