Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
This is an interesting video, no way to prove 100%, but this guy says that patient zero was most likely a researcher studying corona virus in bats who accidentally got infected.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpQFCcSI0pU
I think it's time to invite @ColdDog back to the discussion. Most countries have their strategies in place now, politicians appear to have stopped trying to pin the blame for their lack of action on X,Y or Z and are just executing the plans of action they can now. Might be time to start discussing the evidence and chain of events / chains of ignorance.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I think it's time to invite @ColdDog back to the discussion. Most countries have their strategies in place now, politicians appear to have stopped trying to pin the blame for their lack of action on X,Y or Z and are just executing the plans of action they can now. Might be time to start discussing the evidence and chain of events / chains of ignorance.
Man I was still hoping things would go sideways and it would mutate into some sort of zombie virus.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
There may still be value in making and wearing masks. Yes, the actual SARS-CoV-2 virus particle thingee is nanometers in diameter, BUT, it is most likely transmitted through droplets of snot, spit, whatever, and those are going to be larger and potentially filtered out by cloth or whatever.

If it truly is aerosolized, then we are pretty much all fucked...

See this article:
Everything you can do to keep from breathing air directly, especially in a crowd is better than nothing. But I still stand by the problem. If you have aerosol particles suspended in the air, they can be inhaled by the negative air pressure of breathing even behind a surgical mask and cause infection. But they are better than nothing. Even homemade masks are better than nothing.

By the way, posting articles from behind the New York Times pay wall is useless to many of us. We cannot access the articles without a subscription, and have very little incentive to get a subscription. I for example, live well over 1600 miles and half a continent away.

Reactions: Radegast74

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
UK numbers for April 3rd.

38,168 total confirmed.
3,605 total have died, a rise of 684.

Chartorama03-04-20.jpg

No need for closeups on the lines today, they both have the same angle of uplift as the previous day.

UK government spokesman says not going out this weekend is an order, not a request. New promises of hundred thousand tests a day, currently seeing 10k a day and still only in the hospital system, it's like they read my updates lol, real spread in the UK is still not much more than guess work until widespread testing takes place.

Reactions: Vavrik

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Everything you can do to keep from breathing air directly
Yes, hold your breath until its all over.

, especially in a crowd is better than nothing. But I still stand by the problem. If you have aerosol particles suspended in the air, they can be inhaled by the negative air pressure of breathing even behind a surgical mask and cause infection. But they are better than nothing. Even homemade masks are better than nothing.

By the way, posting articles from behind the New York Times pay wall is useless to many of us. We cannot access the articles without a subscription, and have very little incentive to get a subscription. I for example, live well over 1600 miles and half a continent away.
But yes @Vavrik is right most masks have leakage around the face mask boundary that allows unfiltered air to be breathed in.
If you really want to be protected then you need to protect all of your mucus membranes and so something like this often used by pesticides and booth painters would be ideal.

download.jpg

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Paywall Solution --> go to your browser prefeerences, and search for all cookies from NYTimes (I just do a search for "nyt", change for each website), empty them, and voila! Article is now free to read!

A lot of places (NYTimes included) are also making all COVID-19 related articles free if you just register.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Paywall Solution --> go to your browser prefeerences, and search for all cookies from NYTimes (I just do a search for "nyt", change for each website), empty them, and voila! Article is now free to read!

A lot of places (NYTimes included) are also making all COVID-19 related articles free if you just register.
I'll give it a try, thanks!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Heading into the second week of April, this is where things start looking really bad.

The next two weeks are going to be really ugly.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
View: https://youtu.be/W6d3twpHwis

lol. I'm not the only person that looked at my vacuum cleaner bags and wondered if you could make a mask out of them.

. Hmmm,.,I bet with a few mods I could make a ventilator out of this shop vac. I'm going to need a test patient. Any volunteers?
I recommend only breathing time-sterilized air. Fill a few compressed tanks with delicious air, and then let them sit for at least 24 hours so the surface life of the pathogen can tick by and viola! Perfectly safe to breath atmosphere you can carry around with you. Just make sure your eyes and earholes are covered too, or you would contract via those.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
UK numbers for 4th April.

41,903 total confirmed, noticeable drop in number of new confirmed cases.
4,313 total dead, raise of 708 on yesterday which is another record high.

Chartorama04-04-20.jpg

And now for a special guest appearance from the total number of persons tested:

Totals Tested To Date.png

Noticeably steady on the amount tested per day with 183,190 tested in total in the UK to date. There doesn't seem to have been a ramping up of efforts to detect what COVID-19 is doing outside the most serious hospitalized cases i.e. out and about in the general population.

Now, to put the 183,190 total tested in context the population of London is generally accepted to be 9 million or there about. This is 2.03 percent of that population.

Unfortunately 183,190 is the number for the whole of the United Kingdom. The population of the UK currently stands at 67 million, making the total number of persons tested for the pandemic virus just 0.27% of the population.

🤔

In other news someone official today said if everyone stays home in the lockdown we may have relaxed (but not redacted) measures by May.

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Heading into the second week of April, this is where things start looking really bad.

The next two weeks are going to be really ugly.
In line with that, in addition to staying home to avoid the virus, don't do anything stupid or risky...if you have to go to a hospital, you are probably going to come back home with something worse. And if you flatline at a hospital, or arrive at a hospital DOA, they likely aren't going to do anything to resuscitate you. There is a huge shortage of protective gear, and giving CPR/intubating you is a really messy procedure...they need to be wearing full protective gear, and if they odds are bad, they just aren't going to waste anything.

Here is a newspaper article that starts talking about that:

TL;DR--> stay home and play video games. And tell your wife & kids to just play video games, too!

Because of COVID-19, when an ambulance arrives at a hospital, medical staff who respond must don full protective gear in case the patient is sick with the virus.

Performing CPR on a patient who does have COVID-19 places health workers at risk, because repeatedly pushing on the patient’s chest can release dangerous virus particles into the air.
Gausche-Hill said the policy simply spells out what the agency has always recommended — that paramedics wait and stabilize patients before driving them to the hospital.

However, the county’s previous policy did not say paramedics should wait any period of time after a patient regains circulation to take them to the hospital, and the revised protocol is labeled “guidelines for transport versus termination during the COVID-19 pandemic.”
In New York, paramedics are also being advised that patients who have gone into cardiac arrest and cannot be revived in the field should not be brought to the hospital.

The organization that coordinates the city’s emergency medical services issued new protocols this week amid a crush of COVID-19 patients flooding hospitals and straining the 911 system.

“Emergency Departments are severely overcrowded, and transporting patients pronounced on the scene only increases ED workload and potentially exposes ED staff and patients to COVID19,” the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of New York City said in a press release.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
As at 3:00pm on 4 April 2020, there have been 5,548 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia. an increase of 198 new cases since 3:00pm on 3 April. Of the 5,548 confirmed cases in Australia, 30 have died from COVID-19. More than 287,000 tests have been conducted across Australia.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
As at 3:00pm on 4 April 2020, there have been 5,548 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia. an increase of 198 new cases since 3:00pm on 3 April. Of the 5,548 confirmed cases in Australia, 30 have died from COVID-19. More than 287,000 tests have been conducted across Australia.

The interesting bit about watching the Australian cases is that it appears that the virus just won't "disappear" in the summer months. It appears that you instituted social distancing measures nationally on March 21st, so maybe this is what is having an impact?

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
The interesting bit about watching the Australian cases is that it appears that the virus just won't "disappear" in the summer months. It appears that you instituted social distancing measures nationally on March 21st, so maybe this is what is having an impact?
Physical distancing is having an effect (many of the workforce are working from home) is but I think this is also heightened awareness of personal hygiene playing a role.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST

This is a profound problem now,” Carr says. “For even the most simple-minded of our rightwing economists, understanding the implications of these matters surely now demonstrates the importance of us developing a more economically complex society and a more sovereign nation.
“This situation should prompt a rethink of our approach over the past several decades to move away from domestic manufacturing towards a reliance on imports,” she said. “This may save money in the short term but it is costing us now. In a wealthy country like Australia, it is unacceptable to risk the lives of health professionals because we do not have the facilities to manufacture simple materials such as masks and swabs.”

Last edited:
Forgot your password?