Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
What’s a little grim is the mortality rate goes up even as the number of infections decreases. People who have been fighting the disease in intensive care either recover or their immune system is overwhelmed.

A more useful measure might be how many of those infected require hospitalisation - data we don’t have access to yet. Our modelling should be released later today.
The estimates (really, "guesstimates") are that about 20% of the COVID-19 patients experience severe symptoms, and then about 3% (of the total, so we are talking maybe 16% to 18% of the 20%) need the ventilation. But yeah, we need better tracking and follow-up to know exactly.

Regarding mortality, since it takes up to 5-7 days to show symptoms after being infected, and then it can take upt to 5-7 days to either recover *or* get worse, and then in hospital it can take 1 or 2 weeks to either recover or die (look at Boris Johnson -- wasn't he self-isolating for almost a week before going to the hospital), the "bad outcomes" of the people getting infected this week will be the ones dying at the end of April/beginning of May.

Reactions: Bambooza

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
UK figures reported today 7th April.

The reporting page indicates that several hospitals were not able to report by time of going to press. As such the numbers are not an accurate representation, it has also been made clear in news articles today even daily fatalities are not accurate as some figures are held over the weekend only coming in during the week, some times as late as Wednesday.

At this point I have to accept that my charting is not going to be an accurate reflection of what is going on and can only be a running total to date.

So: Total confirmed, 55,242. Total fatalities, 6,159. Sharpest rise in deaths yet with close to 800, however with late reporting this could be combined three or four days worth.

Chartorama07-04-20.jpg

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
I feel you may have misinterpreted my phrasing, please point out where you got the impression I was not concerned about Mr Johnsons well being and I would be happy to correct you.
Oh my gosh... I was just trying to make you feel better. I never said you disliked PM Johnson. I have no idea where you stand on politics or care, I was making the point that his infection transcends politics.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Oh my gosh... I was just trying to make you feel better. I never said you disliked PM Johnson. I have no idea where you stand on politics or care, I was making the point that his infection transcends politics.
In that case my apologies for misinterpreting your comment 🙂

And yes indeed it does transcend, a very good word for it. My thoughts are with him as they are with everyone touched by the contagion in various ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColdDog and Vavrik

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I think there's a bit of irony that Boris Johnson has Covid19. He was very vocal about his dismissal of the whole thing, even arguing to let the virus run it's course so as to build up 'herd immunity' in the British public.

I for the record, do dislike Johnson. That said, I do wish him all the best and a speedy recovery. No Nation deserves to be without it's leader at a time like this.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I think there's a bit of irony that Boris Johnson has Covid19. He was very vocal about his dismissal of the whole thing,
As the Governors of many states have found out, the virus does not care about their personal opinions.

Boris was downplaying the virus like a champ. I chalk it off to 50% ignorance, but also 50% hopefulness and an attempt to prevent the masses from freaking out about it. He took the gamble, it was a bad one.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
The worst part about Boris getting the virus, at least unless it gets worse for him, is that the UK needs leadership now more than ever.

Regardless of your view on the Monarchy, Her Majesty’s public address was inspiring and timely (I am an avowed Monarchist. Someone fulfilling a public service role they were bred for, who can plan for more than the next election cycle, is an asset).

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
11wks of lockdown?

Those are rookie numbers! We can do 12 weeks easy!
It's a hard lockdown though. Probably the most draconian in the World. You're not allowed to go out, even to buy groceries or attend funerals. There were delivery services set up for people but otherwise you're basically under house arrest.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
UK figures for the today 8th of April.

Again the numbers have a disclaimer that they were not complete by the time the report was due.

60,733 total confirmed, second highest rise with 5,492 since last report. 7,097 total fatalities, new record raise with 938 since last report.

Chartorama08-04-20.jpg

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
As at 6:00am on 9 April 2020, there have been 6,052 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia. There have been 96 new cases since 6:00am yesterday. Of the 6,052 confirmed cases in Australia, 50 have died from COVID-19. More than 323,000 tests have been conducted across Australia. 263 of current cases have been admitted to hospital of which 87 are in an ICU. 2,813 cases have been classified as recovered.

The median age of all cases is 47 years (range: 0 to 100 years). The median age of deaths is 80 years (range: 55 to 94 years).

The rate at which cases increases on average each day has fallen over the past fortnight from just over 13% to around 2%. However, it is too soon to tell whether this trend will be sustained.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Reactions: Vavrik

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
We had our first death early this morning, Man was in his 70s and from the description I think he was the 9th confirmed case we had in the city. The other day news went out that 3 people, 1 from hospital and 2 from quarantine had been released. As of yesterday there were no new cases but 142 tests pending.

Reactions: Vavrik
Forgot your password?