Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon

Here we go folks.

In issuing the new regulation, the Department of Homeland Security cited what it called China’s “suppression of independent journalism.”

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Heres the thing that throws a lot of people for a loop.

When you look at reported numbers for Arizona of new cases, you see this:

1589064998507.png

And then you read what Gov Ducey said earlier in the week:

1589065045653.png

So are the cases declining like the Gov said, or are they climbing like the John Hopkins site is saying?

Or is this some sort of weird Shrodinger's experiment?

Reactions: Radegast74

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
My understanding is that a lot of jurisdictions are eager to open up but did they properly shut down in the first place?

A number of areas have been really half hearted in shutting down. They either haven't been doing it properly or aren't enforcing lockdown restrictions. Meanwhile a number of people have turned this from a health issue into a political one. They're trying to make a political point (of what I don't know..something about being liberated so they can dine in at Wendy's or something) by not heeding basic social distancing guidelines or wearing PPE when available.

My point is that you either shut down or you don't. Half assing it is just gonna prolong the whole ordeal. At that point you might as well try to pull off a Sweden.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
The thing about us here in AZ, is that there is increased testing going on the last week or two, so numbers are going up. We also had a very.....basic stay at home order (stay home, or don't we won't fine/arrest you) along with it still being the snowbird season so lots of older people coming and going.

Best part is my work decided it is time for us to return to work, which being in the automotive field is great because we all know how well people keep their cars clean.....

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
My understanding is that a lot of jurisdictions are eager to open up but did they properly shut down in the first place?

A number of areas have been really half hearted in shutting down. They either haven't been doing it properly or aren't enforcing lockdown restrictions. Meanwhile a number of people have turned this from a health issue into a political one. They're trying to make a political point (of what I don't know..something about being liberated so they can dine in at Wendy's or something) by not heeding basic social distancing guidelines or wearing PPE when available.

My point is that you either shut down or you don't. Half assing it is just gonna prolong the whole ordeal. At that point you might as well try to pull off a Sweden.
There used to be a saying, "that's like the pot calling the kettle black", it maybe doesn't make sense now that everything is stainless steel, aluminium(yikes) and ceramic.

You do understand that Canada has not done a stellar job at containment of the disease itself? I've been watching it as closely as I watch the numbers in Texas. All I can say is when I look at the numbers in Quebec and Ontario, and see that the disease is outperforming both California and Texas, I'm more than concerned. I have more than a few family and friends who live there.

Reactions: Bambooza

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Heres the thing that throws a lot of people for a loop.

When you look at reported numbers for Arizona of new cases, you see this:

View attachment 15828

And then you read what Gov Ducey said earlier in the week:

View attachment 15829

So are the cases declining like the Gov said, or are they climbing like the John Hopkins site is saying?

Or is this some sort of weird Shrodinger's experiment?
This is a classic example of trying to ram a policy down everybody's throats, without actually really looking at the data to guide a decision. Apparently, you are making a mistake if you look at the data:

This was covered in the Washington Post, as well, but it is behind a paywall...he supposedly then brought back the experts, at least in some capacity, after an outcry.

Reactions: Vavrik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Study about the virus infecting the intestines and causing diarrhea, which was not among the widely publicized original list of main symptoms if I remember correctly.

Imagine having a fever and diarrhea and thinking it's just a stomach bug, not the virus so you don't get tested... +1 reason why the numbers are way off.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Study about the virus infecting the intestines and causing diarrhea, which was not among the widely publicized original list of main symptoms if I remember correctly.

Imagine having a fever and diarrhea and thinking it's just a stomach bug, not the virus so you don't get tested... +1 reason why the numbers are way off.
It was known to go there ages ago, i recall hearing about that at the beginning of March. I don't think they widely publicized it t the time as its just such a common symptom it would be difficult to test every case...

...that said if its a safer way of getting Covid-19, as in it doesn't go near the lungs and it's not life threatening diarrhea, could intentionally contracting it in the bowel be a better way of getting immunity...?

View: https://youtu.be/CKjaFG4YN6g?t=27

Last edited:

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
So here in Florida, it seems were starting to re-open some things in most counties starting tomorrow. My Family, all over 70 has been leaving the house and going to the grocery stores or any place that would allow them in seriously almost every single day. They never wash their hands or take any precautions. My aunt 84, only wears a mask because she didn't want to be the only one not wearing one. My grandmother 76, and grandfather 92, went out to eat at their favorite restaurant the other day so I guess they already opened some places up. So I think if there was a big swimming pool full of organic material that is made up entirely of COVID-19 they would be compelled to go jump in it. I think I've been more at risk sitting in the house with both my aunt and grandma coming in and out and bringing stuff home all the time than I would have been if I went to as many nursing homes I could in a day to give group hugs.

I just want to get back in the gym bro.

"BuT iT's FoX nEwS" its local news, chill.

EDIT: Looks like phase 1 started on the 4th for a lot of places. Its hair salons and stuff opening for us tomorrow, but other places like palm beach county are starting phase 1 tomorrow. Haven't looked at "phase 2" and what that consists of yet.

Last edited:

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The thing about us here in AZ, is that there is increased testing going on the last week or two, so numbers are going up.
Well thats a good thing!

More testing will allow them to identify potential hot stops and close down those areas instead broad blanket shut downs.

Downside is that as the virus spreads over the broader population, the South Korea numbers of a 0.6% mortality rate means there are going to be a lot more elderly dying before we get to a vaccine.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
There used to be a saying, "that's like the pot calling the kettle black", it maybe doesn't make sense now that everything is stainless steel, aluminium(yikes) and ceramic.

You do understand that Canada has not done a stellar job at containment of the disease itself? I've been watching it as closely as I watch the numbers in Texas. All I can say is when I look at the numbers in Quebec and Ontario, and see that the disease is outperforming both California and Texas, I'm more than concerned. I have more than a few family and friends who live there.
Oh I understand this completely. Canada is one of the places I'm referring to (specifically Quebec). It's also in Quebec where a number of telecommunications towers were set on fire because '5G causes Covid'. The province has it's fair share of 'Liberate' protesters, kooks, and conspiracy theorists as does any place really....even my province. Very early on I posted what was then one of the first media covered 'Liberation' protests and it happened right here in Vancouver, Canada. In no part of my post did I say US or States, I used the term jurisdictions. I'm not smug about this at all as I have friends and family in both New York, California, and many other parts of the US. I also want the US to recover asap because my industry is dependent on that.

I don't think this is a country versus country thing anyway. I have a feeling this has more to do with Coast versus Coast. The East Coast has been hit hard where the West Coast has been left relatively unscathed. I'm still puzzled as to why that's the case. My unscientific theory is that the West was getting more travelers from Asia (Quicker to lockdown) than the East which received more travelers from Europe (Slower to lockdown). Trump to his credit was quick to ban travel from China. In hindsight, I believe this was the right decision.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
UK numbers from today May 10th:

Total confirmed 219,183 with 3,923 new, total dead 31,855 with 269 new.

Chartorama10-05-20.jpg

Todays status "Buzz Words" comes from the the COVID-19 catchphrase "Stay Home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives" the PM (who has had more catchphrases than Mr. Chips) and the government have been tubthumping being changed to "Stay Alert, Control The Virus, Save Lives" suggesting social distancing can Jeff off and the NHS can go to hell, apart from the bit where they said this doesn't mean we can stop social distancing because ""Stay alert will mean stay alert by staying home..." begging the question if they mean the same thing why bother changing it...?:

I suspect the Alert thing is to rebrand to go along with their new 5 level alert system. Level 5 is systems overwhelmed and disaster, level 1 is virus gone all is well. We are currently at level 4, looking to reduce measures and restrictions to level 3. I have immediately started calling this the DeafCon rating because although the new slogan says to look at it no one is going to understand or listen to it even if it does have a point.

The status outlook comes from the airline industry being given notice that the UK will be bringing in 14 day quarantine for all incoming passengers - they will be turned away at boarder checks if they cannot prove they have a private residence to shelter in for the two week requirement. Questions have been raised both as to why this wasn't already in place for the last two months while Lockdown was in force, and also why is is being introduced now when Lockdown restrictions are beginning to be relaxed:

EDIT - Oops, forgot the Colorado check-in: One day in (the charts latest entries are for the 8th for cases and 7th for fatalities) so it's way too early to say relaxing restrictions is causing any issues. Remember, gestation can take between 5 and 12 days before symptoms present:

1589139344264.png

1589139403850.png

Last edited:
  • o7

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Incomplete data suggest Germanys R rate (the infection reproduction rate) has risen above 1 person, to 1.1.

The R number basically means at 1, one infected person infects one more person so if 100 people have COVID-19 100 other people will get it - keeping the population of infected at a constant level.

At 0.9 those 100 people would only infect 90 more, shrinking the population of infected, but at 1.1, 100 infected will infect 110 other people growing the population of infected people.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Oh I understand this completely. Canada is one of the places I'm referring to (specifically Quebec). It's also in Quebec where a number of telecommunications towers were set on fire because '5G causes Covid'. The province has it's fair share of 'Liberate' protesters, kooks, and conspiracy theorists as does any place really....even my province. Very early on I posted what was then one of the first media covered 'Liberation' protests and it happened right here in Vancouver, Canada. In no part of my post did I say US or States, I used the term jurisdictions. I'm not smug about this at all as I have friends and family in both New York, California, and many other parts of the US. I also want the US to recover asap because my industry is dependent on that.

I don't think this is a country versus country thing anyway. I have a feeling this has more to do with Coast versus Coast. The East Coast has been hit hard where the West Coast has been left relatively unscathed. I'm still puzzled as to why that's the case. My unscientific theory is that the West was getting more travelers from Asia (Quicker to lockdown) than the East which received more travelers from Europe (Slower to lockdown). Trump to his credit was quick to ban travel from China. In hindsight, I believe this was the right decision.
Thank you for clarifying. I think I've become a little overly sensitive because of my position here, I haven't been able to travel home since 2013 until this year because of illness progression. Then when I'm finally allowed to travel, this happens - during my first trip. It's been just a little surreal.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
yep, despite day to day cases constantly increasing, my state (NC) lifted restrictions last Monday. 25% capacity on all businesses basically.

I fully expect this to completely backfire and make the situation worse, but seems like grandma dying is preferable to going without a haircut.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Doctors offices are hit very hard by this too. People are having a hard time seeing a doctor because of covid.

“Patients are foregoing necessary preventive and even acute care out of fear of exposure. Medical practices are struggling to keep their doors open as volume collapses. The nation faces a second wave access crisis when the pent up demand for non-COVID-19 care is released and the rest of our healthcare system is offline as a result of the pandemic.”

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Well, this is one of the concerns I've been having...treating COVID19 patients takes a toll on the healthcare workers, and the lack of PPE early in the crises (and maybe on-going) has also had an impact:
As usual, if you can't get behind the paywall, just dump your cookies that start with "nyt"

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon

Over 60 Bills - That basically says America is up in arms.

Resolutions and Bills Introduced in the House:

• H.R. 6665: To direct the Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of Health and Human Services, to submit a report on the actions of the World Health Organization to address the spread of the virus responsible for COVID-19.
  • H.R. 6444: Stop China-Originated Viral Infectious Diseases Act of 2020. This bill limits the immunity of foreign states from suit in the United States.
  • Cheney Introduces Bill Renaming Chinese Embassy Street “Li Wenliang Plaza”: This bill honors the late Dr. Li Wenliang of Wuhan who warned about COVID-19 before being silenced by the CCP.
  • Rep. Stefanik & Sen. Hawley Resolution for International Investigation of CCP: This House resolution calls for an international investigation of the CCP’s cover-up of the early spread of COVID-19 among other actions.
  • No CHINA Act: H.R. 6386 prevents appropriated money, including coronavirus relief funds, from being disbursed to businesses owned by the Chinese government.
  • Countering Chinese Attempts at Snooping (CCAS) Act: calls for the Secretary of State to create a list of organizations that are under Chinese influence and that help China in areas like surveillance.
  • H.Con.Res. 97: This establishes the Joint Select Committee on the Events and Activities Surrounding China’s Handling of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus.
  • H.Res. 919: This resolution condemns the United Nations’ decision to appoint China a seat on its Human Rights Council.
  • H.R. 6482: This legislation aims to protect Our Pharmaceutical Supply Chain from China Act of 2020.
  • H.Res. 944: This resolution expresses the sense of the House of Representatives that the People’s Republic of China should be held accountable for its handling of COVID-19.
  • H.Res. 909: Supports an international investigation into the handling by the Government of the People’s Republic of China of COVID-19 and the impact on the people of the United States and other nations.
  • H.Res. 907: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the Government of the People’s Republic of China made multiple mistakes in the early stages of the COVID-19 outbreak that heightened the severity and spread of COVID-19.
  • H.Res. 922: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that all nations should permanently close live wildlife markets and that the People’s Republic of China should cease spreading disinformation regarding the origins of COVID-19.
  • H.R. 6208: Protecting American Space Assets Act: This bill directs the President to develop a strategy to protect the space assets of the United States.
  • H.R. 6405: Chinese Government COVID-19 Accountability Act: This legislation directs the President and Secretary of the Treasury to develop a strategy to seek reimbursement from the People's Republic of China.
  • H.Res. 917: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the United States should withhold the contribution of Federal funds to the World Health Organization until Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus resigns.
  • H.R. 6471: Dr. Li Wenliang Congressional Gold Medal Act: This bill awards a Congressional Gold Medal to Dr. Li Wenliang for his efforts to save lives in light of COVID-19.
  • H.R. 6598: SOS ACT Act: This legislation preserves national security by providing guarantees to investors for investments in businesses at risk of predatory economic tactics by the CCP.
  • H.R. 5932: Ensuring Chinese Debt Transparency Act of 2020: This bill ensures greater transparency regarding the terms and conditions of financing provided by the People's Republic of China to member states of the international financial institutions.
  • H.R. 6519: To amend title 28, United States Code, to provide a civil action against a foreign state for deliberate concealment or distortion of information concerning an international public health emergency, and for other purposes.
  • H.R. 5927: Safe Medicine Act: This legislation directs the Secretary of HHS to study American dependence on unsafe Chinese pharmaceuticals and strengthen the FDA to mandate drug recalls in the case of contamination.
  • H.R. 5846: Neutralizing Unfair Chinese Export Subsidies Act of 2020: To provide for working with allies to seek increased compliance by China with certain OECD export credit standards.
  • H.R. 6406: American-Made Protection for Healthcare Workers and First Responders Act: This bill requires PPE to be included in the strategic national stockpile and for the Federal Government to procure equipment from United States sources.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Restrictions have loosened slightly here in Victoria. We’ve had 10 cases identified in the last 24 hours.

The changes to our restrictions are as follows.
  • 5 visitors (non-residents) allowed at home, up from one.
  • Outdoor activities limited to 10 people - includes household members.
  • Work from home if possible. Considering kids aren’t back at school this is essentially irrelevant.
  • Bootcamps up to 10 people are allowed (plus instructor). Groups of up to 10 people are allowed outdoors. 1.5 meter spacing still applies.
  • Golf is allowed again.
  • No indoor sport unless it’s in your home. No gym 😭
  • Hiking, fishing, boating allowed. No camping, and the 10 person limit applies to groups.
  • Funerals can now have up to 20 mourners indoors. Up to 30 mourners outdoors. Contact tracing records must be kept.
  • We can exercise in the park but kids can’t use playgrounds or skate parks

Forgot your password?