Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
I would have thought you would be strongly against govt officials fudging data, but it seems you are ok with it.
Throw all the stones you want at the US... I'm going to start throwing them back. Here is Canada's mess.

“When I saw the stats, I was like ‘no, that’s really wrong!” she told Global News.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Throw all the stones you want at the US... I'm going to start throwing them back. Here is Canada's mess.

“When I saw the stats, I was like ‘no, that’s really wrong!” she told Global News.

Canada needs to get its shit together!

Quebec is a fucking mess!

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon

Trudeau was responding to a question about a Globe and Mail newspaper story that quoted Canada's ambassador to Beijing, Dominic Barton, as saying China is alienating foreign countries and injuring its goodwill abroad as its diplomats have adopted a heavy-handed approach around the world.

Influential, outside-of-government policy experts invited to advise Trudeau about the economic shock have made the case to the prime minister that Canada’s response must address job losses that have, so far, stung women more than men.

(Lol... stay at home! Let your economy implode USA. Test says.) Trudeau says, put the women back to work!

Even if we suspend normal levels of skepticism for the duration of this outbreak, however, one has to wonder what Trudeau was thinking. He’d been having a fairly good crisis until now, shouldering his duties as husband and father to a virus-stricken family while appearing daily to outline government measures and offer what reassurances were possible.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon

What that saying we learned in econ 101? When the US sneezes Canada catches a cold.

Revised:

When China spreads a virus around the world, US sneezes and Canada catches Covid-19.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
UK numbers for today 19th May:

Total confirmed 248,818 with 2,412 new (this is an estimate), total dead 35,341 with 545 new.

Please note the following from the official figures page:
  • data for the number of people tested is unavailable for pillar 1 – daily and cumulative figures are therefore not reported today. We expect to resume reporting tomorrow
  • the number of daily positive cases is likely to be a small overestimate – any overestimate will be revised in future published figures
Chartorama19-05-20.jpg

Todays status is bought to us by the government spokesman saying there is no guarantee that there will be a swift economic bounce-back once the lockdown is lifted (from the people who gave the electorate the impression that they were good enough to make sure Brexit would not be a problem in regards to the economy or trade 😉) so at least they are not giving any false impressions. How much will be COVID related and how much Brexit related? And how much of the Brexit related will be put on COVID? Who knows. Who would even be able to work that out?

The status outlook comes from scientists fears that CO2 emissions from unrestricted travel may spike up even further than they were previously:

It kind of stands to reason that when people are allowed to move and use their cars again, they will so I don't see science being wrong in that regard.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Todays status is bought to us by the government spokesman saying there is no guarantee that there will be a swift economic bounce-back once the lockdown is lifted (from the people who gave the electorate the impression that they were good enough to make sure Brexit would not be a problem in regards to the economy or trade 😉) so at least they are not giving any false impressions. How much will be COVID related and how much Brexit related? And how much of the Brexit related will be put on COVID? Who knows. Who would even be able to work that out?
Between Brexit, Covid19, and the drop in international oil demand (thus reducing demand in North Sea oil)...I'm surprised the Pound is still holding strong. Canadian dollar has been taking a beating lately due to our economy's dependence on oil exports.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon

If existing shutdowns remain in place through the spring and are gradually lifted over the rest of 2020 while oil prices remain low, Giroux estimates that Canada's real GDP will fall by 12 per cent this year – nearly four times the steepest drop on record. That includes an estimated drop of a little more than $500 billion in the second quarter alone before a slow recovery period begins.

"We're nowhere near back, even by the end of this year, where we were in the first quarter of 2020. It'll take us two years even just to get back to those levels of nominal GDP," Kevin Page, a former parliamentary budget officer, told CTVNews.ca via telephone Thursday from Ottawa.

"That's just an unbelievable adjustment. We've not seen anything like that before."

The outlook
The policy response cannot stop the economic pain. Our base case forecast is for a recession, with a 4–5 percent contraction in 2020. Were it not for the policy stimulus, the decline would be dramatically larger. There is, regrettably, still enormous uncertainty. When will containment efforts prove successful? When containment is lifted, work is unlikely to return to normal, but what will the new normal be? There are worries that we could have waves of infection. In other words, containment could be lifted and then reimposed for a time. Given the magnitude of the initial contraction in the economy, it is highly likely that any relaxation of containment will cause a rebound in growth. But after that initial jump, the pace of growth is likely to be slow as economies deal with the legacies from the deep recession. It also seems highly likely that the future will be characterized by considerable volatility in both economic and financial conditions.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon

“Two thirds of Canadians (66%) believe the Government of the People’s Republic of China should take responsibility for its role in the COVID-19 outbreak,” Research Co. announced on its website Tuesday (March 24).

“This includes majorities of Canadians who voted for the Conservatives (76%), the Liberals (66%) and the New Democrats (61%) in the 2019 federal election,” added the company led by president Mario Canseco.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Lol... I'd play the SouthPark "Blame Canada" video, but its not covid-19 related.
Eh.

You gotta realize that we don't really have the same kind of patriotism you guys have down there. If you say something bad about Canada, we just shrug and say, 'Yeah so what?' Hell if you trash Trudeau, I'll probably agree with you. We're kinda famous for our apologetic and self deprecating ways.

I suppose the Brits are sorta like that too. Her Majesty's mug graces both our currencies after all. Old Liz keeps it real.

Just don't say shit about hockey or the quality of our maple syrup. Them's fightin words.

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari

“Two thirds of Canadians (66%) believe the Government of the People’s Republic of China should take responsibility for its role in the COVID-19 outbreak,” Research Co. announced on its website Tuesday (March 24).

“This includes majorities of Canadians who voted for the Conservatives (76%), the Liberals (66%) and the New Democrats (61%) in the 2019 federal election,” added the company led by president Mario Canseco.
Well....yeah lol.

Forgot your password?