Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - reports from around the world from today Thursday 9th of July:

- UK: Hot on the heels of the UK Governments announced plans to incentivize employers to keep people in jobs, two major high-street chains announce a combined 5,300 redundancies. Chancellor says "Sadly we won't be able to protect every job."

- Slovakia: Country looks at options including reintroduction of restrictions as it records its single highest day of infections since April at 53. The country has a total of 1,851 recorded cases with 28 deaths.

- US: Unemployment drops from 14.7% in April to 11.1%

- Italy: The main hospital in the city of Bergamo, one of the worst hit places in the outbreak, has no caronavirus patents in intensive care after a stretch of 137 consecutive days with cases.

- World: World Health Organization to set up a review of the global response to the pandemic.

- Iran: A record jump in deaths with 221 recorded in one day, the highest yet.

- Africa: Concerns are raised of an impending 'Storm' as COVID sweeps the country.

- Romania: 624 patents who were under mandatory admission to hospital with positive COVID tests discharge themselves as the move was found to be legally against their human rights, their return to communities raises fears of not being able to contain potential transmission.

- Greece: Country on knife-edge of reintroducing restrictions as selfish few continue to flout rules even though they have been relaxed.

- World/US: 12 million cases around the globe. US accounts for one third of them.

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Half the issue in the US now is that we've politicized the pandemic. It's no longer a unified effort to do what's best for the health of our society, it's now a divided "us vs them" attitude. I have co-workers who are openly calling it a farce and refusing to wear masks or practice any form of precautionary behavior.
I don't want to politicize this thread any further but screw it, I blame the guy at the very top.

Calling it a hoax, pushing drugs that don't work, shoving the medical experts aside, saying that wearing masks means you oppose him, pushing for states/business to reopen against the CDC's advice. etc, etc. When does one say enough is enough? Rightly or wrongly, people look to National leadership for their cues as to how to behave in a national emergency like this. In this case, leadership is not only non-existent it's actually causing harm.

Meanwhile the borders are still closed and that's affecting a lot of peoples' livelihoods (mine included).

I'm not even American and I'm hopping pissed.

Last edited:

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
We had done so well. Page 4 shows current actives.

“We don’t have definitive evidence that it has been a single super spreader. What we have [is] evidence that the current outbreak is possibly looking more like what we call a “point-source outbreak”, where there was a tapering off of cases and then now the cases have gone up … One of the possibilities that can do that is a person who is particularly infectious who attends multiple areas or multiple places.”

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
I was trying to find a way to say this without being weird about it, but my aunt had to go bury my uncles and her sons ashes the other day. She said the guy there at the cemetery told her he's only had one COVID patient hes had to bury since this started.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I was trying to find a way to say this without being weird about it, but my aunt had to go bury my uncles and her sons ashes the other day. She said the guy there at the cemetery told her he's only had one COVID patient hes had to bury since this started.
Sorry for your loss there.

As for the caretaker, the numbers are just ramping up now, if he has not seen many, he will soon.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today Friday 10th July:

- UK: Government considers making face coverings mandatory in shops to help keep transmission to a minimum.

- Scotland: Face coverings made mandatory in shops.

- UK: Company with links to senior government officials given research contract at a value of £840,000 without it being put out to tender.

- Australia: Reduces number of admissions to the country to 4000 a week.

- France: Official death toll passes 30,000 becoming the sixth country on earth to reach grim milestone.

- Japan: Cases gather pace as it appears the virus enjoys a resurgence, however not yet at the point they would recall a state of emergency.

- Russia: Country reports excess deaths in May 2020 were 11.9% higher than in May 2019.

- Italy: Plans to continue state of emergency drawn up in hopes prolonging it will put the country in a better place to deal with the contagion going forward.

- Hong Kong: Fresh outbreaks see all schools closed.

- Columbia: Capital city Bogata goes back in to lockdown.

- US: Disney World to reopen with restrictions despite rising cases in Florida. Wags suggest replacing "The happiest place on earth" with "The most contagious place on earth".

- World: Rapper Eminem in collaboration with Kid Cudi to release song which takes aim at people who refuse to wear masks with the following lyrics:

Bunch of halfwits up in office.
Half of us walking around like a zombie apocalypse.
Other half are just pissed off and don’t want to wear a mask and they’re just scoffin’.
And that’s how you end up catchin’ the shit off ’em.

and

I just used the same basket as you shoppin’,
now I’m in a fuckin’ casket from you coughin’.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today Saturday 11th July:

- Belgium/UK: Belgium issues travel advice to citizens not to visit city of Leicester in the UK, as it settles in to its status as first UK city to go into localized lockdown.

- US/Japan: Dozens of marines stationed at two bases on the island of Okinawa (Marine Corps Air Station Futenma and Camp Hansen) test positive for COVID-19 with some reports suggesting over 60 cases although specific number has not been released.

- India: Cases pass 800,000 and rising.

- Russia: Nearing 750,000 cases.

- US: Bill Gates calls for any eventual treatments developed for COVID-19 to be made available to countries that need them most, not just the highest bidder saying replying on Market forces would prolong the pandemic.

- Iran: President makes it clear shutting down the economy for a lockdown is not an option, the country can't afford to do it in the face of continuing sanctions. Weddings and other large gatherings banned in face of stricter restrictions.

- UK: Experts welcome suggestions face coverings may be made mandatory in shops as they think it will lower transmission, however make it clear the move is in addition to, not a replacement of, social distancing and the eyes which do not get covered by masks are still an infection point.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
You guys see that 37yr old that died two days after testing positive?

Fucking disaster...

View attachment 18060
That's unfortunate. I hope his passing serves as a warning to people who dismiss this virus and still don't treat it seriously.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Better late than never I suppose

I wonder what his millions of supporters who have been refusing to masks have to say now? The mental gymnastics they must perform to justify each others' behavior is astonishing. Curious to see how they're going to 'pivot'. Like seriously dude, just start selling MAGA branded masks or something, make a profit if you have to. I don't care. Just wear the damn things.

In all seriousness though (and politics aside), I'm glad he's finally relented. PPE, testing, contact tracing, and eventually a vaccine. That's the only way to beat this.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
Better late than never I suppose

I wonder what his millions of supporters who have been refusing to masks have to say now? The mental gymnastics they must perform to justify each others' behavior is astonishing. Curious to see how they're going to 'pivot'. Like seriously dude, just start selling MAGA branded masks or something, make a profit if you have to. I don't care. Just wear the damn things.

In all seriousness though (and politics aside), I'm glad he's finally relented. PPE, testing, contact tracing, and eventually a vaccine. That's the only way to beat this.
He is losing the veteran fan base slowly, last thing that would make them all jump ship is him visiting the most critically wounded without any protection. This is all a PR move, because if he gave a terminally ill or ICU patient COVID, he would be done for.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
He is losing the veteran fan base slowly, last thing that would make them all jump ship is him visiting the most critically wounded without any protection. This is all a PR move, because if he gave a terminally ill or ICU patient COVID, he would be done for.
I have a lot of veteran and active service buddies. None of them support him. Most of them did at one point but he's since lost them all.

Buddy of mine is a company grade Officer in the US Army currently posted overseas. He recently told me what Trump did at Lafayette Square during the protests is unforgivable. His biggest nightmare is that he'll be brought back to the US and ordered to deploy against American civilians. I think his support for him buckled during the whole Eddie Gallagher fiasco and it's since evaporated.

Yeah it'll definitely be bad PR if there's a Covid19 breakout at Walter Reed after him and his entourage leaves.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
I have a lot of veteran and active service buddies. None of them support him. Most of them did at one point but he's since lost them all.

Buddy of mine is a company grade Officer in the US Army currently posted overseas. He recently told me what Trump did at Lafayette Square during the protests is unforgivable. His biggest nightmare is that he'll be brought back to the US and ordered to deploy against American civilians. I think his support for him buckled during the whole Eddie Gallagher fiasco and it's since evaporated.

Yeah it'll definitely be bad PR if there's a Covid19 breakout at Walter Reed after him and his entourage leaves.
Luckily anyone in the armed forces has the right to disobey unlawful orders, so hopefully if the national guard or active duty get sent out again for protests and ends up getting in trouble for defying any orders to harm US citizens, the courts are smart enough to side with them.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
The mental gymnastics are impressive, some say the best they have ever seen. So many people say its the best ever, everybody says that.

And gems such as:

View attachment 18088

Honestly, I dont mind it if it makes people wear masks! :D
At this point, I don't even care if he makes an outrageous statement like he invented PPE and facemasks or something. Just wear it, set a good example, and bring those goddamn Covid19 cases down.

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
NY looking good here, but they are expecting a second wave due to all the surrounding states seeing massive spikes. Its just a matter of time.

View attachment 18089
Ah yes...the much dreaded second wave. My old man's been trying to get me to stop going to my gym after he found out there was a single case at a gym in his neighborhood. I mean people can't stay indoors forever. Anyway I'm more likely to get it at work or at one of the strip clubs downtown lol.

Forgot your password?