Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
I have come to my senses... no need to try to show a different path. I have resigned to finishing AC Valhalla and will soon forget the the crappy world of global governance (power given is tremendously hard to take away... so I leave it to the sheep to decide) and conquest when I begin playing cyberpunk... I have realized that cyberpunk is the world I want to live in. Yes, I bought cyberpunk today... because I see infinite lockdowns and depression on our horizon. So, I will continue to drink my beer and be pacified from reality with this game of death, drugs, and power.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Sunday 29th of November:

- World: 62,586,806 confirmed cases and 1,457,319 confirmed deahts.

- World: passes 62 million cases, we passed 61 million on Friday meaning 1 million more cases in 2/3 days.

- UK: Government spokesman warns UK risks a third wave "if we don't get balance right"... which suggests this second wave was the balance not being got right coming out of Summer in to Autumn.

- Iraq: Children return to school for the first time since February.

- Turkey: Sees record high daily deaths.

- US: New York to start reopening Schools on 7th of December.

- Spain: Medical staff protest in Spain against cuts which they say have effected their ability to cope in the COVID-19 pandemic.

- France: Court orders government to lift restrictions on church gatherings after backlash from the clergy.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I have come to my senses... no need to try to show a different path. I have resigned to finishing AC Valhalla and will soon forget the the crappy world of global governance (power given is tremendously hard to take away... so I leave it to the sheep to decide) and conquest when I begin playing cyberpunk... I have realized that cyberpunk is the world I want to live in. Yes, I bought cyberpunk today... because I see infinite lockdowns and depression on our horizon. So, I will continue to drink my beer and be pacified from reality with this game of death, drugs, and power.
Bit melodramatic but we're in agreement there! Screw Covid...Cyberpunk in less than two weeks! Choo Choo!

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
This is how we're opening up to international travel again.

All arrivals will have to quarantine for 14 days.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Monday 30th of November:

- World: 62,924,259 confirmed cases and 1,462,989 confirmed deaths.

- World: Moderna applies for emergency regulator approval in the US and EU for their vaccine with confirmed 94% efficiency rating and claimed to be 100% effective at preventing severe cases.

- US: Number of people being treated in hospital for COVID reaches record high of 93,238.

- US: Several high profile pandemic and virus experts have indicated the gathering and travel rush over Thanks Giving may place an extraordinary strain on the hospital system on the run up to Christmas.

- World/Disney: To lay off another 4,000 employees.

- Russia: Delivers first public batch of Sputnik V vaccine to a hospital south of Moscow.

- Vietnam: Sees first local transmission in 89 days.

- Canada: Extends international travel ban to 21st December for the US and 21st January for the rest of the world.

- Turkey: Announces weekday curfews and weekend lockdowns.

- UK: New Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi warns although COVID-19 Vaccines are not to be made mandatory, people who decline one without a valid medical reason may find life in general rather difficult as Restaurants and other public places may bar entry to those who choose to not protect themselves and those around them.

- World: OPEC members agree to extend cuts to oil production until March “There is consensus at the OPEC level ... on extending the current 7.7m barrels per day (bpd) cuts until ... the end of March,”

- UK: First two weeks of November see police hand out 1,977 fines for breaching Lockdown.

- Germany: Implores other EU nations to cancel Ski Season and keep resorts closed "It doesn't make sense to undermine national contact restrictions... by starting the ski season too early,"

- UK: Government rules public Grotto Santas don't have to wear face masks, but children are not allowed to sit on their knee.

- China: Doctor beaten up when he attempted to stop two men from entering a hospital without face masks.

- Hong Kong: New wave sweeps in, with new restrictions put in place rapidly to counter.

- Star Wars: Dave Prowse, the Actor (but not the voice) of Darth Vader dies with COVID-19 after a short illness at the age of 85. His daughter commented “It’s horrible that Covid restrictions meant we did not get to see him and say goodbye,"

Reactions: Vavrik

PeppaPigKilla

Admiral
Sep 15, 2019
RSI Handle
PeppaPigKilla
- UK: New Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi warns although COVID-19 Vaccines are not to be made mandatory, people who decline one without a valid medical reason may find life in general rather difficult as Restaurants and other public places may bar entry to those who choose to not protect themselves and those around them.
And this is policed how ? Guys tripping

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
And this is policed how ? Guys tripping
They are looking at the option of an "Immunity Passport" using QR codes and apps linked to a database.

"We are looking at the technology. And, of course, a way of people being able to inform their GP that they have been vaccinated.
But, also, I think you’ll probably find that restaurants and bars and cinemas and other venues, sports venues, will probably also use that system - as they have done with the app.
I think that in many ways the pressure will come from both ways, from service providers who’ll say ‘look, demonstrate to us that you have been vaccinated’.
But, also, we will make the technology as easy and accessible as possible."

PeppaPigKilla

Admiral
Sep 15, 2019
RSI Handle
PeppaPigKilla
Im not against vaccines, i've had them. I am not going to be running out to get this one either and i dont think i will be the only one. I wonder how this will impact people who work at these venues or need to attend these places for work purposes. I think this might fall flat on its ass

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The school next to my wifes workplace has a confirmed cluster of COVID cases and is now closed for a fortnight.

Some of the kids who share classes with confirmed cases go into my wifes workplace for a before and an after school club which looks after them between the parents dropping them off in the morning until school starts, and between the end of school and parents picking them up after work.

Children have virtually zero risk of serious complications, but they do carry it, they do pass it on between each other. Families are getting it because asymptomatic children carry it into the class and then between each other and it gets carried back out of the classes back into the homes where it infects the adults who can get massively sick.

Now we are waiting to see what's going to happen.

I do not live in the US. This is not about Donald Trump. No one cares about him here, he doesn't matter here, his re-election means nothing here.

And yet the virus is now knocking on my door.

Oh, and look, the potential for lasting lung damage has been identified which could even be present in people who did not require any hospital treatment:

This is the reason why some countries didn't screw about when tackling COVID-19. No one knows what the long term complications of COVID are going to be. Who knows perhaps in three years time everyone who caught it's pancreas will crap out and there will not be enough insulin to go around and we'll have another wave of deaths. Would they be counted as covid deaths? They wouldn't have COVID anymore, would they? Just blame the dead of eating too many sweeties and let history move on.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Tuesday 1st of December:

- World: 63,478,019 confirmed cases and 1,472,917 confirmed deaths.

- World: Passes 63 million cases, we passed 63 million on Sunday meaning 1 million more cases in 2/3 days.

- US: Controversial COVID Special Advisor to the President, Scott Atlas, resigns.

- UK: Government Cabinet Minister Michael Gove contradicts Immunity Passport statement made yesterday by Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi, indicating there are no plans to implement such a scheme, however also added: "[businesses have the] capacity to make decisions about who they will admit and why".

- Germany: Town of Hildburghausen to mass-test 8,000 children and 1,000 teachers after mass outbreak shuts the school system there.

- US: Study finds people with suppressed immune systems who contract COVID are able to incubate spread the virus for up to two months.

- Turkey: Sees record high daily deaths, for the 9th day in a row.

- World: United Nations indicates the number of people needing humanitarian aid has risen by 40% due to the pandemic.

- Spain: The opening of a new COVID hospital in Madrid is met with protests.

- UK: Debenhams Department store, a company just 2 years younger than the United States Of America, to close with 12,000 jobs at risk.

- UK: Pioneering MRI imaging technique identifies COVID-19 scarring in the lungs of patents suffering Long COVID where the organs don't transfer oxygen and carbon dioxide from the lungs to the blood stream as effectively - suggesting lasting damage. Studies are being prepared to investigate further.

- Netherlands: Face Masks now mandatory in public for all over 13's.

Reactions: Vavrik

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
And yet the virus is now knocking on my door.
There is always a virus or disease knocking at your door. Heart disease is real, so is the common cold. Back to the children. Here is what the Mayo Clinic has to say.

Why do children react differently to COVID-19?

The answer isn't clear yet. Some experts suggest that children might not be as severely affected by COVID-19 because there are other coronaviruses that spread in the community and cause diseases such as the common cold. Since children often get colds, their immune systems might be primed to provide them with some protection against COVID-19. It's also possible that children's immune systems interact with the virus differently than do adults' immune systems. Some adults are getting sick because their immune systems seem to overreact to the virus, causing more damage to their bodies. This may be less likely to happen in children.

How likely is it for a child to become sick with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)?

While all children are capable of getting the virus that causes COVID-19, they don't become sick as often as adults. Most children have mild symptoms or no symptoms.

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Children's Hospital Association, in the United States children represent about 10% of all COVID-19 cases. Research suggests that children younger than ages 10 to 14 are less likely to become infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 compared to people age 20 and older. Hospitalization rates for children are also much lower than for adults. However, if children are hospitalized, they need to be treated in the intensive care unit as often as hospitalized adults, according to research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

My concern is that kids not being in school will cause significant long term damage to their social and well being. Point is there has be a balance, some acceptance of risk.

Social Distancing and Isolation
The research has been clear on this one for years: isolation and loneliness is bad for our health—both physical and mental. According to a meta-analysis co-authored by Julianne Holt-Lunstad, PhD, a professor of psychology and neuroscience at Brigham Young University, lack of social connection heightens health risks as much as smoking three-quarters of a pack of cigarettes a day…every day. “There is robust evidence that social isolation and loneliness significantly increase risk for premature mortality, and the magnitude of the risk exceeds that of many leading health indicators,” Holt Lunstad says.

The coronavirus has obviously exacerbated the problem. Right now (as of May 8), almost 200 million people in the Unites States are under some kind of stay at home order, with most face-to-face socializing limited to members of their own households. That is, if they’re lucky enough to not live alone like 35.7 million Americans do. And, even in states where restrictions have been lifted, many people are still staying at home.

All this alone time is killing our mental health in general. Here’s an in-depth report on how coronavirus affects the most common mental illnesses. One of the biggest concerns is suicide. All of the experts who study suicide for a living agree that social connections play a role in suicide prevention. Both suicidal thoughts and ideation are associated with isolation and loneliness.

This is a good read and I think it lays out the psychological effects well.

Reactions: Bambooza

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
There is always a virus or disease knocking at your door. Heart disease is real, so is the common cold. Back to the children. Here is what the Mayo Clinic has to say.

Why do children react differently to COVID-19?

The answer isn't clear yet. Some experts suggest that children might not be as severely affected by COVID-19 because there are other coronaviruses that spread in the community and cause diseases such as the common cold. Since children often get colds, their immune systems might be primed to provide them with some protection against COVID-19. It's also possible that children's immune systems interact with the virus differently than do adults' immune systems. Some adults are getting sick because their immune systems seem to overreact to the virus, causing more damage to their bodies. This may be less likely to happen in children.

How likely is it for a child to become sick with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)?

While all children are capable of getting the virus that causes COVID-19, they don't become sick as often as adults. Most children have mild symptoms or no symptoms.

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Children's Hospital Association, in the United States children represent about 10% of all COVID-19 cases. Research suggests that children younger than ages 10 to 14 are less likely to become infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 compared to people age 20 and older. Hospitalization rates for children are also much lower than for adults. However, if children are hospitalized, they need to be treated in the intensive care unit as often as hospitalized adults, according to research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

My concern is that kids not being in school will cause significant long term damage to their social and well being. Point is there has be a balance, some acceptance of risk.

Social Distancing and Isolation
The research has been clear on this one for years: isolation and loneliness is bad for our health—both physical and mental. According to a meta-analysis co-authored by Julianne Holt-Lunstad, PhD, a professor of psychology and neuroscience at Brigham Young University, lack of social connection heightens health risks as much as smoking three-quarters of a pack of cigarettes a day…every day. “There is robust evidence that social isolation and loneliness significantly increase risk for premature mortality, and the magnitude of the risk exceeds that of many leading health indicators,” Holt Lunstad says.

The coronavirus has obviously exacerbated the problem. Right now (as of May 8), almost 200 million people in the Unites States are under some kind of stay at home order, with most face-to-face socializing limited to members of their own households. That is, if they’re lucky enough to not live alone like 35.7 million Americans do. And, even in states where restrictions have been lifted, many people are still staying at home.

All this alone time is killing our mental health in general. Here’s an in-depth report on how coronavirus affects the most common mental illnesses. One of the biggest concerns is suicide. All of the experts who study suicide for a living agree that social connections play a role in suicide prevention. Both suicidal thoughts and ideation are associated with isolation and loneliness.

This is a good read and I think it lays out the psychological effects well.

Thanks, and what about the bit about Trump which was a strong leading point of the video you shared?

Reactions: ColdDog

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
I do not live in the US. This is not about Donald Trump. No one cares about him here, he doesn't matter here, his re-election means nothing here.
Uh... in 19 minutes of video his name was invoked 6 times and that seems to be the only thing that triggered you... not the suicides of the kids... I suppose selective listening is a gift.

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?