Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I won't say thank just yet, I don't like to "drink to the bear's pelt in advance" (dunno the correct English saying for this one), I'm kinda paranoid like that, sorry :)
I have some family from the Czech Republic and Poland that say something similar. I take it to mean similar to "Don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch"
Always good advice however you say it.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Sorry to break the flow somewhat, but riddle me this:
Today most of the covid restrictions were lifted in Hungary with exception of medical facilities where masks are still mandatory. This is fine.
But
What is the logical reasoning behind allowing me to visit my wife in the hallway of the maternity ward, which obviously results in at least some form of body contact and with most sane people, at least a kiss. But I'm not allowed to see my newly minted half-copy at all, even though I can be present at the extraction process in person and hodl the little bugger!
The levels of bullshit are just comically absurd at this point...
None of the rules ever made sense and it's not like the rule makers were following their own rules so who knows. I am just thankful that all I had to do was wear a mask and was allowed to be in the delivery room/overnight last year.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I have some family from the Czech Republic and Poland that say something similar. I take it to mean similar to "Don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch"
Always good advice however you say it.
Yep, that's the one!

None of the rules ever made sense and it's not like the rule makers were following their own rules so who knows. I am just thankful that all I had to do was wear a mask and was allowed to be in the delivery room/overnight last year.
Yeah, at the beginning some of it seemed to make some sense when the goal really only was to slow down the rate at which hospitals got hit, but then it all went political dick measuring contest with nonsensical rules like bars here had to close by 9pm instead of 11-12pm cos the virus apparently took on the lifestyle of a vampire... (this led to the streets being filled with drunks much earlier then normal and nothing else)

Glad you got in! Congrats on the new pilot(s?)!
I'm still waiting to be called to go to the hospital, I'm not allowed in until the true process starts. The wait is killin me (literally cos last 5 nights I slept 2-3 hours and I've been up for 20 hours at this point lol)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Omicron sub-variant driving rise in COVID cases in UK:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Omicron sub-variant driving rise in COVID cases in UK:
Lots of cases and part of that is that Omicron doesn't care about your vaccination status. But it is not causing nearly as many hospitalizations or deaths as Delta.
What is happening though is that with Omicron and everything else hospitals have to deal with right now (including staff shortages from exposure or symptoms), they can still get crowded.

also this.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZTs1OPHyFU

Who'd a thunk. Going for a few billion more I guess.

"Omicron is the vaccination we never made." (a Ugandan doctor who's name I can't remember said that.)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Missed this one from the 7th of March, MRI scans before and after infection show even mild COVID may change sections of the brain:

Fischmaster

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 29, 2018
RSI Handle
Fischmaster
Missed this one from the 7th of March, MRI scans before and after infection show even mild COVID may change sections of the brain:

Well, I work in a radiology department and questions about specific findings in brain-mris post covid started to pop up recently. We will be collecting experience regarding this topic in the near future, I'm sure but I'm a bit sceptical how practical these findings in this particular paper are. Brain shrinkage can have many causes and without scans pre-2019 you cannot be sure if the findings are in fact preexisting in most cases so I doubt the benefit of having a brain MRI just for the sake of finding "specific" COVID-damages. However tissue damage following micro-embolism sounds probable and was a thesis for pathogenesis of fatigue syndromes before, so naturally you would expect brain damage. I fear we will see kidney damage, as well. I'm not predicting it, but please point out this point in 10 years, should all COVID-infected be in need of dialysis by then, I really hope my thoughts regarding this topic age like milk and fear the consequences if they become true.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Well, I work in a radiology department and questions about specific findings in brain-mris post covid started to pop up recently. We will be collecting experience regarding this topic in the near future, I'm sure but I'm a bit sceptical how practical these findings in this particular paper are. Brain shrinkage can have many causes and without scans pre-2019 you cannot be sure if the findings are in fact preexisting in most cases so I doubt the benefit of having a brain MRI just for the sake of finding "specific" COVID-damages. However tissue damage following micro-embolism sounds probable and was a thesis for pathogenesis of fatigue syndromes before, so naturally you would expect brain damage. I fear we will see kidney damage, as well. I'm not predicting it, but please point out this point in 10 years, should all COVID-infected be in need of dialysis by then, I really hope my thoughts regarding this topic age like milk and fear the consequences if they become true.
I find myself more and more these days saying 'Prepare for the worst, hope for the best'.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
That's pretty much a third of the population of the UK...
It is just about the population of the entirety of Texas.

However, I think news like this isn't exactly helpful. It is not answering some fundamental questions before we say "Oh Holy Shit". And keep in mind that Omicron variants aren't exactly something that can be kept in a bubble I mean if you succeed in doing that, then lets just lock down the entire world for a few weeks and we can be done with the flu and common cold too. It doesn't work like that with a virus that is as transmissible as the 3 Omicron variants. Even in China, they're not locking anyplace down until the surge starts. With Omicron, that is way too late.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
It is just about the population of the entirety of Texas.

However, I think news like this isn't exactly helpful. It is not answering some fundamental questions before we say "Oh Holy Shit". And keep in mind that Omicron variants aren't exactly something that can be kept in a bubble I mean if you succeed in doing that, then lets just lock down the entire world for a few weeks and we can be done with the flu and common cold too.

This would be entertaining. Locking down the entire world for two weeks all colds are gone, everyone celebrates the triumphant group effort over the common cold. Then two months later someone sneezes and once again the flu is among us once again. Not that they were the originator of the flu or some harbor of the flu strains but simply the unfortunate sap who got it from a bird.

But even still we have cases like this where not only was everyone vaccinated but they all had to test negative prior to boarding.

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
This would be entertaining. Locking down the entire world for two weeks all colds are gone, everyone celebrates the triumphant group effort over the common cold. Then two months later someone sneezes and once again the flu is among us once again. Not that they were the originator of the flu or some harbor of the flu strains but simply the unfortunate sap who got it from a bird.

But even still we have cases like this where not only was everyone vaccinated but they all had to test negative prior to boarding.
Yep, you can get the flu from a bird, reptile and other mammals. The H1N1 pandemic that started in 1918 came from infected pigs. Everyone thinks that's all it did, but the H1N1 virus reached epidemic status in 1977 in the Soviet Union, and there was a fortunately short pandemic in 2009. They find local infections more often. What that means is that it's still with us somewhere.

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?