Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Yep, you can get the flu from a bird, reptile and other mammals. The H1N1 pandemic that started in 1918 came from infected pigs. Everyone thinks that's all it did, but the H1N1 virus reached epidemic status in 1977 in the Soviet Union, and there was a fortunately short pandemic in 2009. They find local infections more often. What that means is that it's still with us somewhere.
Ah, swine flu. I picked that up at PAX prime, have to say that was the worse cold I can remember having.

Reactions: Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID-19 is beginning to cripple the UK travel again, this time because so many staff are off sick:

Police start to issue fixed penalty fines to Government employees who partied through Lockdown:

New Symptoms added to the UK's official watch list:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So masks off, everything back to normal because we can learn to live with it, except 100 flights are canceled because everybody is catching covid...
Anyone who thought no precautions = strong economies didn't consider the effect having 8% of the work force off sick at any one time word have.

Personally I'm waiting for the person who has been off sick with it for 8 days to return to be able to complete a large project. Problem is another team member fell ill on day 5 so even if that first person came back today we're still going to be down for another 8 days, and it's likely when they do return they'll be at 50% capacity until fully recovered so everything is on its arse.

Yeah, no precautions = strong economy... nope. I can't decide which Meme depicts the situation the best but that might just be brain fog...

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Yeah, no precautions = strong economy... nope. I can't decide which Meme depicts the situation the best but that might just be brain fog...
Well, I'm afraid you, and mostly your employer, is going to need to get used to it for a while. For a year, maybe for a generation, maybe for a hundred thousand years. Nobody knows.
But any version so far of Omicron that you get (and if people that close to you are getting it, you were probably exposed) your immunity goes up. As long as Omicron doesn't turn into Godzillacron at some point, it looks like it'll be building immunity in humans.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Well, I'm afraid you, and mostly your employer, is going to need to get used to it for a while. For a year, maybe for a generation, maybe for a hundred thousand years. Nobody knows.
But any version so far of Omicron that you get (and if people that close to you are getting it, you were probably exposed) your immunity goes up. As long as Omicron doesn't turn into Godzillacron at some point, it looks like it'll be building immunity in humans.
I have heard mutterings of Deltacron but no one knows if it is the worst parts or best parts of both mixed together - seems to be as if not more contagious as Omicron though.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I have heard mutterings of Deltacron but no one knows if it is the worst parts or best parts of both mixed together - seems to be as if not more contagious as Omicron though.
We have been so incredibly lucky so far, most people have no idea. Deltacron has appeared several times with slightly different genetics every time - but it's not been able to outcompete Omicron variants. Here's how lucky we are. Omicron XE, which is outcompeting all other variants of Delta and other Omicron variants is also a recombinant variant. It's a mix of Omicron BA.1 and BA.2.

Can you tell they're running out of letters?

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Might be good news for those with hemophilia.
I would be interested to hear of the results of research in that direction, if COVID exposure increases the number of platelets in the blood it could in time be turned into a form of therapy for the condition...

If however the type of clotting is similar or the same as was seen in limited numbers with the vaccines caused by an autoimmune malfunction, it may not be related though?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I would be interested to hear of the results of research in that direction, if COVID exposure increases the number of platelets in the blood it could in time be turned into a form of therapy for the condition...

If however the type of clotting is similar or the same as was seen in limited numbers with the vaccines caused by an autoimmune malfunction, it may not be related though?
More than likely it's not related nor helpful as typically virus-caused clotting is caused by the hemoglobins already in your blood clumping around white blood cell/virus interactions and not the increased production of hemoglobin needed for those suffering from hemophilia. My more than likely in bad taste joke was just about those who wish their blood would clot

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
More than likely it's not related nor helpful as typically virus-caused clotting is caused by the hemoglobins already in your blood clumping around white blood cell/virus interactions and not the increased production of hemoglobin needed for those suffering from hemophilia. My more than likely in bad taste joke was just about those who wish their blood would clot
No worries, count me as Swooooosh.

Also I was thinking of Thrombocytopenia not Hemophilia. Always get those two mixed up.

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

PeppaPigKilla

Admiral
Sep 15, 2019
RSI Handle
PeppaPigKilla
So almost a year to the day I caught covid for a second time, this time it was different, i was very sick and it kicked my ass, way more than when i caught it last year. Today is the first day with a negative test.

I'm hearing rumors of companies enforcing policies that encourage people to not randomly test so they 'don't know they have it' if they do catch it and are asymptomatic as to not take time off work.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So almost a year to the day I caught covid for a second time, this time it was different, i was very sick and it kicked my ass, way more than when i caught it last year. Today is the first day with a negative test.

I'm hearing rumors of companies enforcing policies that encourage people to not randomly test so they 'don't know they have it' if they do catch it and are asymptomatic as to not take time off work.
Great to hear you got through fine for a second time :-)

I can see you are in the part of the world I am in, I am not surprised to hear the rumours you have picked up about companies approaches, I was under the impression it was the National approach now too?

When they dropped free testing, the need for basic precautions like masks and hand washing, and the requirement to self isolate even if you test positive, I was sure the national approach was now: no more testing, get back to work, "learn to live with it"...?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Last edited:
Forgot your password?