RSI Handle
Radegast74

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
UK Prime Minister, his wife, and the Chancellor of the Exchequer (main money man in the UK) all receive Lockdown breach fines for attending a party in the seat of Government at a time when gathering in groups inside or outside was strictly prohibited by laws they themselves helped put in place.

Johnson becomes the first known Prime Minister to break the law and receive an legal penalty for it while in office.

The Ministerial Code, which is a set of rules politicians agree to adhere to, includes a requirement which states any minister found to have lied to parliament should resign for the good of the position (they said no parties, the police fine says otherwise) - with a catch that the resignation should be sent to the Prime Minister who gets to choose if they go or stay.

Both the Prime Minister and the Chancellor of the Exchequer have declined to follow this common agreement.

It is expected that PM will receive more fines as the police investigation continues with one source expecting another three. The fines double for each new offence so repeated offences become more and more expensive.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
That's an interesting article @NaffNaffBobFace
It really caught me, I was surprised to see the 505 days figure and the concept of an 'occult' infection, made me wonder if people who had/have Long COVID were still infected in some deep-tissue way but we're no longer shedding?

Reactions: Vavrik

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
I went to Disney's EPCOT theme park yesterday so I figured I'd tell you what I saw. I kid you not, I think it was 1 in 300 people were wearing a mask, maybe less, and hardly any staff had masks on as well. I don't know why I expected anything different. I almost didn't get into the park as they told me they usually only take park reservation tickets because they have been at capacity every single day since about July last year.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I went to Disney's EPCOT theme park yesterday so I figured I'd tell you what I saw. I kid you not, I think it was 1 in 300 people were wearing a mask, maybe less, and hardly any staff had masks on as well. I don't know why I expected anything different. I almost didn't get into the park as they told me they usually only take park reservation tickets because they have been at capacity every single day since about July last year.
Yep, I went to put deziel in the car yesterday and of the 9 people at the station only I had a mask on. Just because it isn't law anymore doesn't mean it's not wise or indeed not reccomended to do still...

...ah, well. First to adopt precautions, last to abandon them :-)

Hope you had a great time at the park!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Roundup of interesting recent articles:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I wonder when the USA if ever will follow suit.
One would hope so, or what are Public Spending Audit Offices for? :)

The UK Track and Trace system spent £34 billion. As of this moment that's $42.5 billion in the almighty dolla.

Some local councils ran a local track and trace system and got success rates around the 90% mark where the national scheme fluctuated wildly between 40% and 80%, I've seen reports they spent around £900k on local tracing so lets square that at a nice round Million£ as an average spend.

From what I've been able to Google up, there are 398 local councils in the UK, so £398 million at a million per council if it had all been done locally with those assumed numbers, vs £34 billion for the national initiative as a whole...

If we are lenient and accept some aspects of the national initiative were used by the Local schemes, double that 398 million and then add another 5 billion just for the shits and giggles of it, there is a loooot of missing money there...

I'm wondering if the Audits can eventually track it all down? Where in the hell did £34 billion bugger off to?

- EDIT -

Because an idle mind is the Devils plaything, I types some letters into an engine of online search and found the following fact checker saying no one knows how much was spent and it was only the budget which was £37 billion, and may not be the actual money spent:

So there we go, expected spend was merely £20 billion. Still a bit more than local initiates could assumed to have been :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I wonder when the USA if ever will follow suit.
Judging by how much the UK seems to have spent in total... my wallet is a little happier that we didn't.
But hot damn, we could do a lot with £37 billion (what's that... like, $47 billion! ) I mean as long as you remove the Government make work projects from it.

btw the cost of writing the software itself and all it's maintenance, service hosting costs etc. should only be a fraction of that total. The rule of thumb is 2%, but even that seems ... higher than the stars. Something tells me this needs an audit.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
One would hope so, or what are Public Spending Audit Offices for? :)

The UK Track and Trace system spent £34 billion. As of this moment that's $42.5 billion in the almighty dolla.

Some local councils ran a local track and trace system and got success rates around the 90% mark where the national scheme fluctuated wildly between 40% and 80%, I've seen reports they spent around £900k on local tracing so lets square that at a nice round Million£ as an average spend.

From what I've been able to Google up, there are 398 local councils in the UK, so £398 million at a million per council if it had all been done locally with those assumed numbers, vs £34 billion for the national initiative as a whole...

If we are lenient and accept some aspects of the national initiative were used by the Local schemes, double that 398 million and then add another 5 billion just for the shits and giggles of it, there is a loooot of missing money there...

I'm wondering if the Audits can eventually track it all down? Where in the hell did £34 billion bugger off to?

- EDIT -

Because an idle mind is the Devils plaything, I types some letters into an engine of online search and found the following fact checker saying no one knows how much was spent and it was only the budget which was £37 billion, and may not be the actual money spent:

So there we go, expected spend was merely £20 billion. Still a bit more than local initiates could assumed to have been :)
So way more than 34 buggered off into the void. The same happens in the states with lots of line items given to specific targets for reasons most pertaining to lobby support buried in 100's of thousands of lines of law. While you could spend years digging into and reading the laws the end result after you throw up your fist in frustration is realizing that no one cares. That life goes on that tax money inevitably goes on to buy political favor and pay for keys (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rStL7niR7gs
). Which really just ends up with three options. Be frustrated with the lack of power, play the political game and hope you don't get usurped before you grow old, or realize you are just one in many billion and keep your head down in hopes you are not one of the unlucky few who get trampled.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Judging by how much the UK seems to have spent in total... my wallet is a little happier that we didn't.
But hot damn, we could do a lot with £37 billion (what's that... like, $47 billion! ) I mean as long as you remove the Government make work projects from it.
Remember the old joke? "A couple billion here....a couple billion there...soon you're talking real money..."

Forgot your password?