Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Can we just admit this is "endemic" at this point and treat it as the flu. This is not a planet killer... 3 years in I think we kinda know what we're dealing with.

Reactions: Bambooza

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Can we just admit this is "endemic" at this point and treat it as the flu. This is not a planet killer... 3 years in I think we kinda know what we're dealing with.
It's definately endemic, no doubt about that - but treating it like Flu isn't going to work quite yet.

Where I am the national Health Service is expiriancing winter scale pressure - in May.

You can try to treat it like Flu but it is still a far distance from being purely seasonal in nice predictable waves, if indeed it ever gets to that point. It may be more transmisable and the waves will be governed by how long indevidual immunity from exposure lasts and on mutations rather than the weather.

Reactions: ColdDog

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
btw weather normally does not affect the transmission of a virus. It does impact our habits, which can increase or decrease the chance of an infection depending on the properties of the virus.

Don't mix up the definition of endemic and pandemic (or epidemic.)
  • endemic refers to where something is found (I mean it could be a squid or a species of duck instead of a virus)
  • epidemic and pandemic refer to the scope of out of control infections by a virus or bacteria. They have nothing to do with the word endemic.
Saying a virus is endemic simply means it is becoming part of our ecosystem. It may remain there for 1, 10, or possibly millions of years. During that time, it could become an extinction event. At the moment, with the immature state of virology, shear dumb luck is all that prevents that.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
endemic refers to where something is found (I mean it could be a squid or a species of duck instead of a virus)
How many years does it take to discover COVID-19 before it is found?

Edit - Endemic means that the virus is known, like the flu. We develop vaccines yearly to try to combat it, just like the flu virus (the flu shot never works but keeps pharma in business. It is a shot in the dark, we know it will mutate, and most every time, it does it becomes weaker because of less hosts). Bottom line, we're going to have to live with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I just had Covid. It was....unpleasant. 10/10 would not have it again.

It's currently rampaging through my crew. It's a revolving door of Covid absentees at the moment lol.
Great to hear you're on the other side of it. My workplace had the revolving door issue a few weeks back. Having just been to the petrol station and been the only one of 20+ people there with a mask I'm not surprised.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I just had Covid. It was....unpleasant. 10/10 would not have it again.

It's currently rampaging through my crew. It's a revolving door of Covid absentees at the moment lol.
I had it after being fully vaccinated. The illness was a piece of cake for me, I sneezed two or three times. But it's now 6 months later and I've still got lung problems.

• o7
Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I had it after being fully vaccinated. The illness was a piece of cake for me, I sneezed two or three times. But it's now 6 months later and I've still got lung problems.
Yeah I was fatigued for the first couple of days and coughed nonstop for about 10 days after day. It’s been 17 days since I tested positive. I’ll get the odd cough here and there but I’m mostly recovered, relatively mild I suppose. I’m triple vaxxed and all that.

I think I’m gonna hit the gym hard when my show ends in June. Do some cardio and powerlifting again. I think that’ll help me shake the rest of the lingering side effects plus I need to get back in shape anyway.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Missed this one from a couple of days ago due to current world events:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
New article from today:

Ya, they were never ahead of the virus and it is fully expected that it was greatly underreported given the increase in deaths per quarter is higher than the average for previous years. I stand by my statement last year that this virus was far more infectious than they realized and not nearly as lethal as reported. It's also going to become part of the yearly flu cycle and there is no reason it shouldn't be included in the yearly flu shot.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
UK, and £4 billion GBP of panic-bought PPE fro. The early COVID crisis to be destroyed as it is substandard and can't be used medically:
You know, there might be some industrial uses for that stuff other than burning it. I mean there are a few industries who might be interested in dust masks and for protective gear for disposable gloves for cleaning the leu.

Forgot your password?