Crusader Spirit

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
I think the Mercury should've had this design, sleek and streamlined from inside and out. the internal layout was a bit messy and left some to be desired. the lack of second entry/exit was also kinda disappointing - it's larger than the Freelancer, but only one entry point? as the current president of the USA once said: "come on, man!"

Reactions: Vavrik

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
I think the Mercury should've had this design, sleek and streamlined from inside and out. the internal layout was a bit messy and left some to be desired. the lack of second entry/exit was also kinda disappointing - it's larger than the Freelancer, but only one entry point? as the current president of the USA once said: "come on, man!"
If you look at some of Sarah's original concept work for the MSR, it was much more streamlined. It got chunky during the build to add the crawl spaces.

Edit - Sarah's Artstation page of the MSR : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4bREZl

The game does need more of those ships which are efficient for 1 or 2 players to travel around and find mischief. IMO this area is the long-term win for CIG to get people into the game and playing together without having to invest large amounts of time or money. It will probably be the class that brings them back day-on-day.
SEE: Cutlass Black

The C1 needs a remote turret.. this is a serious flaw in what otherwise looks like an excellent design both visually and functionally.
The E1 is... ?? Much less expensive than the Phoenix or 600i Touring for it's niche of the corporate business jet/low key dropship. Where/what is the gameplay?
The A1 could turn out to be a very popular ship, depending on how they decide to tune it. On first glance it looks balanced enough to be worth using.

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
If you look at some of Sarah's original concept work for the MSR, it was much more streamlined. It got chunky during the build to add the crawl spaces.
I think it also had the second entrance at one point in those drawings. I can't remember that far back lol. I just remember the pushback about it from backers.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

Edit - Sarah's Artstation page of the MSR : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4bREZl

The game does need more of those ships which are efficient for 1 or 2 players to travel around and find mischief. IMO this area is the long-term win for CIG to get people into the game and playing together without having to invest large amounts of time or money. It will probably be the class that brings them back day-on-day.
SEE: Cutlass Black

The C1 needs a remote turret.. this is a serious flaw in what otherwise looks like an excellent design both visually and functionally.
The E1 is... ?? Much less expensive than the Phoenix or 600i Touring for it's niche of the corporate business jet/low key dropship. Where/what is the gameplay?
The A1 could turn out to be a very popular ship, depending on how they decide to tune it. On first glance it looks balanced enough to be worth using.
If you look at Sara's original concept work, the inside doesn't fit in the outside. The most obvious point is the room next to the cockpit.

The only part of the new MSR I dislike is the servers in the entry hall. If they put the chair in the deadend part of the hallway, and the servers in the room where the chair now is I'd consider it almost perfect.

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
I think they could've kept the whole layout of the mercury in one floor and maybe keep the high ceiling throughout it all. that would give the feeling of being very spacious and lead to deleting that elevator that sticks out like a sore tumor in the cargo bay thus giving it more space.
and maybe even enable the engineering room to move. I think it's a bad idea to put engineering right next to the main (and in the mercury's case, only) entry point.
also possibly moving the servers to the cockpit access corridor so that it doesn't waste space.

yes. that's an excellent idea. moving the data stores to the cockpit access corridor can do so much for streamlining and cleaning up the mess that is the mercury's internal layout. just think about it for a minute. all that space taken up by the datastores...

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
If you look at Sara's original concept work, the inside doesn't fit in the outside. The most obvious point is the room next to the cockpit.

The only part of the new MSR I dislike is the servers in the entry hall. If they put the chair in the deadend part of the hallway, and the servers in the room where the chair now is I'd consider it almost perfect.
Not in the images show here, no. That internal concept mesh was a first pass based on the smaller size that the ship was sold at, iirc 38m. Not that it matters in any way, but I prefer it to what was eventually built.

Agree with you on the servers. The IT geek in me is boggled that someone thought putting servers in a walkway was an acceptable idea.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Agree with you on the servers. The IT geek in me is boggled that someone thought putting servers in a walkway was an acceptable idea.
Nah, bro. If I've spent a week making my cabling look sexy, I don't wanna hide that shit in a closet.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Not in the images show here, no. That internal concept mesh was a first pass based on the smaller size that the ship was sold at, iirc 38m. Not that it matters in any way, but I prefer it to what was eventually built.
The interior fits in the top down orthographic projection. The angle on the exterior, especially in the room at the front, near the cockpit, doesn't allow for the full height walls in the interior.

Just thinking about force reactions being applied as someone traverses that hallway, and the resulting electrocutions and data loss.

AccidentProne8

Space Marshal
Apr 12, 2015
RSI Handle
accidentproneeight

Now you see, the idea is, if there's an intruder stealing your data, you can turn off the gravity and play a special game of electrocution pong by bouncing them on and off the servers.

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
At the moment I'm just hoping the $Aus will go up again - Between the release of the concept ships and my having funds available, the exchange rate had headed in the wrong direction, so it's looking like I may have to make do with CCU's for them, rather than buying one or more outright (6 months insurance using credits isn't worth it), particularly with IAE on the horizon.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So does anyone know how big this thing is going to be...? I assumed Cutlass or Freelancer-ish but I've seen a lot of confusion about and it seems like it's going a bit 600i but from the community side rather than CIG side this time...?

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
So does anyone know how big this thing is going to be...? I assumed Cutlass or Freelancer-ish but I've seen a lot of confusion about and it seems like it's going a bit 600i but from the community side rather than CIG side this time...?
The original announcement was Cutlass\Freelancer sized, but it's looking a bit bigger since then:
Cutlass is 29 * 26.5 * 10
Freelancer is 38 * 23.5 * 9.5
Constellation Taurus is 61 *26 * 14
MSR is 56 * 51 * 16

MOLE is 45 * 25 * 15

C1 (at present) is 46.5 * 43.5 * 10
(from https://media.robertsspaceindustries.com/j4r43bk1u8hk0/source.pdf)

So it's looking like it'll be close to 2 Mole's side by side in size, but not as tall... Seems to take up a lot of space for the utility it provides, compared to the other options (or looked at another way, you get a lot more ship for your $\aUEC)

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
At the moment I'm just hoping the $Aus will go up again - Between the release of the concept ships and my having funds available, the exchange rate had headed in the wrong direction, so it's looking like I may have to make do with CCU's for them, rather than buying one or more outright (6 months insurance using credits isn't worth it), particularly with IAE on the horizon.
from what I'm hearing from political commentators on youtube, australia is headed for much much worse... so brace yourself 😅

Forgot your password?