Due to popular request, we are getting a TEST KRAKEN! - Donation drive within.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
My american wife insists on calling them squids - though that's definitely appropriate for the Kraken.
Intreagueing, there is a common slang word in the UK for a pound called "Quid" - I wonder is she heared it once?

Think of it as the UK version of "Buck/Bucks" when talking about Dollars.

Usage:
(At a concert, gig or nightclub) "Eight quid for a bottle of water? They can piss off and so can the horse they rode in on."

Last edited:

SpudNyk

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 19, 2016
RSI Handle
spudnyk
Intreagueing, there is a common slang word in the UK for a pound called "Quid" - I wonder is she heared it once?

Think of it as the UK version of "Buck/Bucks" when talking about Dollars.

Usage:
(At a concert, gig or nightclub) "Eight quid for a bottle of water? They can piss off and so can the horse they rode in on."
She heard it from me as I am British (my avatar should hint as to what part I'm from), she insists on saying squids just to troll me.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
She heard it from me as I am British (my avatar should hint as to what part I'm from), she insists on saying squids just to troll me.
Ah, my mistake. I thought the flags were set when you put in your country but i realized I had mine set not to show at all so it must be where your IP is from - Apologies if I seemed a bit patronizing.

To troll her back I suggest pronouncing "Bucks" as "Bux". They'll never know... until you tell them that's how you've been saying it:

A. "Honey? You you have that five Bux I lent you?"
B. "Yeah, here it is." *hands over five Bucks*
A. "Uh, sorry this is five Bucks. I need five Bux."
B. "wha?"
A. "Bux. With an X. B.U.X."
B. "I'll just keep my five Bucks, then...?" *Puts five bucks back in purse/wallet/handbag/pocket/savings tin/piggybank/tramps hand/shop till/etc*

Okay, that seemed funnier in my head. I think I just lost you five dollars.

SpudNyk

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 19, 2016
RSI Handle
spudnyk
Ah, my mistake. I thought the flags were set when you put in your country but i realized I had mine set not to show at all so it must be where your IP is from - Apologies if I seemed a bit patronizing.

To troll her back I suggest pronouncing "Bucks" as "Bux". They'll never know... until you tell them that's how you've been saying it:

A. "Honey? You you have that five Bux I lent you?"
B. "Yeah, here it is." *hands over five Bucks*
A. "Uh, sorry this is five Bucks. I need five Bux."
B. "wha?"
A. "Bux. With an X. B.U.X."
B. "I'll just keep my five Bucks, then...?" *Puts five bucks back in purse/wallet/handbag/pocket/savings tin/piggybank/tramps hand/shop till/etc*

Okay, that seemed funnier in my head. I think I just lost you five dollars.
Well I do live in the USA now so not a big mistake to make.

This is brilliant, but yes she would look at me with a very perplexed look and I’d be out some beer money!

SpudNyk

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 19, 2016
RSI Handle
spudnyk
Hate to break it to you mate, but if she called them "pounds" then she's no Canadian. Up here we call them "poutines". I thinks she may be a SPAI.
🍁

Or loonies. We really call them loonies. Or "the loonie".
She was from Gananoque they're a special bunch, I thought it was all loonies and toonies and for some reason poutine came from new york fries (Canada it's still a strange place, but we love it all the same ;) )

Forgot your password?