Elite: Dangerous

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Wow, I picked up a copy of the beta for 75 dollars, definitely worth it. It's hell to figure out how everything works, and how to get your account in gear, but once you do; it's as close to Star Citizen we'll get until 2015.

Everyone here should buy this game. If not early in the beta period, then in the full release. It's a great way for us to hone our piloting skills, as well as get together as a group.
Anyone who wants to hook up in game, find me at Cmdr Grammargestapo

Also, if you do get it, I recommend hooking up with our Elite TEST unit, TEST Fleet, on their website. They handle the Elite: Dangerous subsection of TEST at this website http://testfleet.enjin.com/home

Last edited:
Reactions: Kovakx

Kovakx

Lieutenant
Jun 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Kovakx
Hah, I bought this over the weekend as well. Then, after an hour of trying with a mouse I screamed at my computer and left the house, only to return an hour later with a joystick.

Whilst I can do reasonably well with keyboard and mouse in AC, Elite was an exercise in frustration, especially given the already steep learning curve. Once you have most of it figured out it's not that bad, but the initial experience can leave you wondering if you just wasted your hard earned creds. Before you even boot the game up first time watch some youtube and read the flight manual.

Once I got the joystick up and running it was a dream, the game is awesome and as GrammerGestapo (go on you know you want to correct that GG ;)) pointed out it's the next best thing until SC is finished. It also made SC more enjoyable for me as well with a joystick so it was money well spent, though now I find myself wishing I had cash for a HOTAS set up!! Maybe next year.

Choppanob

Space Marshal
Jul 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Choppanob
Aye... i also have this game for a few days now.
I already planed to get it besides SC, because the first Elite was my first space sims that i played, and first game i got hooked on as far as i can remember.
Haven't realy played it yet... i also just got my X55 HOTAS (finally), so i'm still working on the keybindings and settings for it.
And after that, it's time to work on my first VoiceAttack profile and settings (and a TrackerIR is on its way)

I also need to read up on the tips and tricks and vids on youtube before i start, there isn't really a ingame tutorial as of yet.
And the first time i went into game, i already got my first ship scrapped by only trying to figure out the controlls (made a shot in protected space... so the space station used me as target practise)

So it's a good filler and trainer for me to get back into the space/fly sims, and get used to a stick again (been a long time that i used one in gaming)
When i'm a bit more used to it, and got my controlls and settings in order... i will look up the rest of the TEST pilots in game :)

Reactions: Kovakx

Melon

Lieutenant
Jul 31, 2014
RSI Handle
SirCalculon
It looks pretty awesome. I thought there was only the $150 package. Now that I see the alternatives aren't so bad...It's probably only a matter of time.

Kovakx

Lieutenant
Jun 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Kovakx
i already got my first ship scrapped by only trying to figure out the controlls (made a shot in protected space... so the space station used me as target practise)
Sounds pretty SOP for an Ork surely?

Reactions: Choppanob

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Also, guys, in my experience Dahan to I Bootis and back is the best trade route. Buy titanium at Dahan, trade it at bootis, then buy stuff from there and back

Reactions: Kovakx and Melon

Kovakx

Lieutenant
Jun 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Kovakx
Reading around I've got the impression that early on combat is the real money maker?

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Reading around I've got the impression that early on combat is the real money maker?
Not at all. You earn a few hundred credits for killing pirates. If you're trading goods at the right places, you can make 16,000 in a few runs.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
mostly because you can't hope to take on ANYTHING with a better ship than you have when you're stock. The sidewinder is truly terrible as ships go. Everything higher will not only outmaneuver and outrun it, they will outgun it.

Kovakx

Lieutenant
Jun 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Kovakx
But I have harsh language and sarcasm... surely that counts for something?

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
AYAYAYA ED is awesome.

I pimped my Sidewinder with some (to me) redicously expensive gimballed turrets, and than rammed the station wall loosing it all.
I just bought a hauler, went on the fast track to a cobra, now I'm working on pimping it out. I suggest you get hauler, the eagle is not a good choice.

Choppanob

Space Marshal
Jul 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Choppanob
Hmmm, don't know what happend... but i have been playing now for 1,5 hours, and still no game freeze (in online solo)
I had allot of problems with it... playing 20 min, and game started to freeze (around 30sec to a min freeze, and again every 10 sec)

But now i had some great old school space trucker fun :)
Also, it's nice to test my X55 HOTAS, TrackIR and VouceAttack setup.

And the Hauler sounds like a ship for me, now i need to find a good starting route to earn me some cash.
Can't wait to start some trucking in Star Citizen:D

TypeO

Space Marshal
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Privateer
Got my DK2 last week and what can I say. ED with DK2 is just mind blowing. unfortunately I had to reduce graphic qualitiy to a minimum to not puke immediately.

@Choppanob would love to hear how satisfied you are with your x55. join us at /r/hotas :)

Choppanob

Space Marshal
Jul 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Choppanob
Got my DK2 last week and what can I say. ED with DK2 is just mind blowing. unfortunately I had to reduce graphic qualitiy to a minimum to not puke immediately.

@Choppanob would love to hear how satisfied you are with your x55. join us at /r/hotas :)
Thanks, i will check that redit page out.

And i will stick to the TrackIR for the mean time... I have a nice profile for it now, that also has some sort of sticky when watching the menu's (real handy)
I want to try a DK2, or a later version for SC instead of Elite (SC is still a few years away, so i will see what version whe will have at that time)
But i'm afraid that i will get nauseated real fast, with those goggles on. :(

TypeO

Space Marshal
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Privateer
I played a lot of E: D this weekend with a full hotas setup (almost, no pedals) and a DK2 (no voice attack as of now, project for next weekend). It was awesome. I had to lower graphic quality to medium with shadows turned off and force my first monitor to run at a custom resolution that allows 75Hz to be able to play E: D without, or better very little, judder. E: D itself is really cool, but sitting in a docking station with DK2 is mind blowing. As if you are there. And I am by no means 100% pro Rift as it has very big flaws, but my god is it perfect for space sims.

Question though: how do you kick off moneymaking? So far missions only pay 300-1500 credits (others seem to hefty with killing 4+ pirates) and trading with 4 cargo spaces is a bit of a joke as you make 400 per run or so. Any suggestions?

SchrimPanzer

Captain
Nov 3, 2013
RSI Handle
schrimpanzer
I played a lot of E: D this weekend with a full hotas setup (almost, no pedals) and a DK2 (no voice attack as of now, project for next weekend). It was awesome. I had to lower graphic quality to medium with shadows turned off and force my first monitor to run at a custom resolution that allows 75Hz to be able to play E: D without, or better very little, judder. E: D itself is really cool, but sitting in a docking station with DK2 is mind blowing. As if you are there. And I am by no means 100% pro Rift as it has very big flaws, but my god is it perfect for space sims.

Question though: how do you kick off moneymaking? So far missions only pay 300-1500 credits (others seem to hefty with killing 4+ pirates) and trading with 4 cargo spaces is a bit of a joke as you make 400 per run or so. Any suggestions?
Do like me, pew pew yourself up to the point where you can pimp the sidewinder, pimp it and then promptly boop (boost+explode) by performing a near-miss on a docking port.

Then try your hand in running stuff using Slopey's trading tool (semi-cheat but hey, beta), pimp your sidewinder and then promptly boop by performing a near-miss on a docking port.

TypeO

Space Marshal
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Privateer
I got that boop part down, that's for sure. I guess I will have to fight for a bit until I can afford a space truck.

Forgot your password?