F8 Lightning is going into concept sale!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Here's what the Chairman had to say about it: or possibly this one that looks more like an Anvil
That's a Scimitar, the ship that lost against the Redeemer for the Greatest Starship Comp. It may yet be released but it is a gunship class, not a fighter. Holds more crew, has greater range, endurance, firepower and is able to stop a broader selection of ships across a much larger area than a fighter. Like corvettes, gunboats are often the choice of pirates and brigands who overcrew them and use them to board larger vessels.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but Ben said this asset of the F8 Lightning was leaked and does NOT represent what it may look like in the game.
Disco said, when it was leaked, that the leak was one of the concept models and may or may not be final version. Though judging by the the next gen anvil ship concepts it has a lot of elements on that f8. Though the side plates near the cockpit are imo just stupid and i wish the circle was more promiment. The circle in the middle of the anvil ships is so iconic that it should be very obvious and not hidden.bI do like how they try and make ships companies have a certain design that they like. I also hope the glowing engine and red tinted glass in the Aegis next gen ships is made mandatory.

GameFleek

Seung's Bestie Testie
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
GameFleek
Disco said, when it was leaked, that the leak was one of the concept models and may or may not be final version. Though judging by the the next gen anvil ship concepts it has a lot of elements on that f8. Though the side plates near the cockpit are imo just stupid and i wish the circle was more promiment. The circle in the middle of the anvil ships is so iconic that it should be very obvious and not hidden.bI do like how they try and make ships companies have a certain design that they like. I also hope the glowing engine and red tinted glass in the Aegis next gen ships is made mandatory.
Do you happen to have a link to the video or text where Disco talked about the F8? Either way, as Disco and everyone at CIG has said time and time again, everything is iterative and nothing including the ships is final. Event the Hornet got a make over recently. So I wouldn't assume that the F8 Lightning won't get some special love since the last time we saw it. The F8 Lightning may turn out to be like the Herald. You hate it or love it, then they make it look better anyway again. And Ben never declared a "sale" of the F8 Lightning, just that it was possible to go on sale since it's role has changed since before. That could also mean it won't be the "Top Dog" of fighter ships for the UEE. Who knows?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Do you happen to have a link to the video or text where Disco talked about the F8? Either way, as Disco and everyone at CIG has said time and time again, everything is iterative and nothing including the ships is final. Event the Hornet got a make over recently. So I wouldn't assume that the F8 Lightning won't get some special love since the last time we saw it. The F8 Lightning may turn out to be like the Herald. You hate it or love it, then they make it look better anyway again. And Ben never declared a "sale" of the F8 Lightning, just that it was possible to go on sale since it's role has changed since before. That could also mean it won't be the "Top Dog" of fighter ships for the UEE. Who knows?
I don't have it on hand. I would have to scour the internet for it. It was when they were doing damage control. It was a blanket statement saying that any ships that are not called finallized are most likely a concept model and that they do multiple models per ship and CR picks them apart. You can witness this in any of the monthly subscriber books about their ships. The Terrapin had a half dozen designs.

To be honest lately I have been taking Ben's words with less than a grain of salt. The rumors have been more accurate then Ben. I am curious if he is told to misinform people or if he gets nervous and mistakes and releases wrong information.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Possible F8 Stats compared to a Super Hornet:
Not sure where you got this information, but for at least the Super Hornet, it is not correct.
The nose is a S3 mount. You can put a 227 Panther on it, a gimbaled 117, or a set of dual gimbaled S1s
The wing mounts are S3. You can put a gimbaled S2 on them if you want
The missile rack is the only one that is correct. there are two S1 racks holding 4 missiles each
The ball mount is a s5. You can put an S4 on it with the speciality mount or 2 S2s (not sure why you can't put 2 S3s on it)

So, you can put as many as 6 weapons on here, or as few as 4. I usually run 3 227 panthers and 2 117 badgers, but I am going to experiment with a single S4 laser instead of the two badgers to see how that works.

My information was gathered from my hangar (today, but I've had the SH for a while) where I looked each port and installed the biggest gun I could fit.

As for the F8, I think those are incorrect as well. From that video
2-S3 on the nose (panthers)
2 S2s on the wing (M4A lasers)
2 S1 on the wings (NN-14 Neutron gun)
2 racks of 3 S1 missiles
2 racks of a single torpedo each (2 torpedos total)
Turret (crewed or uncrewed is unknown) with 2 unknown weapons (could be more S2 M4A lasers)

Finally, it looks like there MIGHT be room for a second seater, either as a turret operator, or as a RIO. Again, look at the video. it looks like the turret COULD be a crewed type, and there looks like there could be a second seat behind the pilot (based on the upper window in a place that would be useless for the pilot, but good for an ejection area for a second crew member

Last edited:

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
That's a Scimitar, the ship that lost against the Redeemer for the Greatest Starship Comp. It may yet be released but it is a gunship class, not a fighter. Holds more crew, has greater range, endurance, firepower and is able to stop a broader selection of ships across a much larger area than a fighter. Like corvettes, gunboats are often the choice of pirates and brigands who overcrew them and use them to board larger vessels.
No kidding, I wonder how you guys find this stuff.

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
Not sure where you got this information, but for at least the Super Hornet, it is not correct.
The nose is a S3 mount. You can put a 227 Panther on it, a gimbaled 117, or a set of dual gimbaled S1s
The wing mounts are S3. You can put a gimbaled S2 on them if you want
The missile rack is the only one that is correct. there are two S1 racks holding 4 missiles each
The ball mount is a s5. You can put an S4 on it with the speciality mount or 2 S2s (not sure why you can't put 2 S3s on it)

So, you can put as many as 6 weapons on here, or as few as 4. I usually run 3 227 panthers and 2 117 badgers, but I am going to experiment with a single S4 laser instead of the two badgers to see how that works.

My information was gathered from my hangar (today, but I've had the SH for a while) where I looked each port and installed the biggest gun I could fit.

As for the F8, I think those are incorrect as well. From that video
2-S3 on the nose (panthers)
2 S2s on the wing (M4A lasers)
2 S1 on the wings (NN-14 Neutron gun)
2 racks of 3 S1 missiles
2 racks of a single torpedo each (2 torpedos total)
Turret (crewed or uncrewed is unknown) with 2 unknown weapons (could be more S2 M4A lasers)

Finally, it looks like there MIGHT be room for a second seater, either as a turret operator, or as a RIO. Again, look at the video. it looks like the turret COULD be a crewed type, and there looks like there could be a second seat behind the pilot (based on the upper window in a place that would be useless for the pilot, but good for an ejection area for a second crew member
Thanks for that! A lot of useless stuff on the web.

Drillbit

Rear Admiral
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Drillbit
Alot of good points have been made on this thread already, but I'm strongly against the F8 being sold has a concept sale in any form.

No matter how much ship development changes, the F8 is meant to be the current top-of-the-line UEE fighter, and the successor of what RSI said would be the best close range fighter in the game, the Hornet. Maybe not as much as the current stats, but it will be better than the Hornet no doubt. Having such a ship in-game is a legit pay-to-win concern considering that it's premise is it the a ship that only the UEE gets to have. (Unless you gave CIG $500 a while ago)

Looking at that 1.5 year old poll earlier, they know it would be an unpopular decision to concept sale it. Yet they're still pushing for it's sale. I get the feeling this whole thing is a cash grab, as they know full well a whole bunch of people will upgrade their hornets for it. But surely they don't need our money considering they're over 200% of the pledge goals. Right...?

So that begs the question. Why are they even selling such a ship? I get the feeling with the price creep of recent ships CIG might be getting tight on cash.

Reactions: StdDev and AstroSam

JackAvalon

Space Marshal
Nov 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Jack_Avalon
Alot of good points have been made on this thread already, but I'm strongly against the F8 being sold has a concept sale in any form.

No matter how much ship development changes, the F8 is meant to be the current top-of-the-line UEE fighter, and the successor of what RSI said would be the best close range fighter in the game, the Hornet. Maybe not as much as the current stats, but it will be better than the Hornet no doubt. Having such a ship in-game is a legit pay-to-win concern considering that it's premise is it the a ship that only the UEE gets to have. (Unless you gave CIG $500 a while ago)

Looking at that 1.5 year old poll earlier, they know it would be an unpopular decision to concept sale it. Yet they're still pushing for it's sale. I get the feeling this whole thing is a cash grab, as they know full well a whole bunch of people will upgrade their hornets for it. But surely they don't need our money considering they're over 200% of the pledge goals. Right...?

So that begs the question. Why are they even selling such a ship? I get the feeling with the price creep of recent ships CIG might be getting tight on cash.
I personally dont think they are funding issues. As you stated before, CIG is well over their pledge mark but that mark was before the possibility of pupil to planet existed. I think we have reached that funding mark for them to do all the amazing things we have seen so far.

While the F8 was orginally slated to be the UEE top fighter, Ben did say its role has changed. What if they have another ship we havent seen or heard of that will be this and they just made the F8 an intermidiate heavy fighter? The fact of the matter is Ben threw us a curveball and now any "facts" we had before are out the window. I personally dont care if they sell it or not at this point because of that. I also know CIG will not make this game pay to win. The only reason the Sabre is doing so well in AC is because full balancing actions have yet to occur.

With this i advise just to wait and see what happens. I have a feeling we will all be surprised.

Forgot your password?