Fleet planning for a Bounty Hunter

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The Cutlass is designed to take out larger ships than it. The lancer is still larger overall than the Cutlass rework. The Cutlass is also more maneuverable because it’s main engine still pivot giving it more trust in turns. They have stated the rework was done to give the ship a more dedicated role to take down freighters. The Mis variant is not a freighter but the other two variants are. I think the Blue and Mis could be comparable but the other two are what the Cutlass is designed to hunt.
You are making assumptions.

The difference between the Cutlass Rework and the Lancer, according to the new ship matrix are minimal. The two are closer than the Hornet and the Sabre. The Cutlass is slightly faster and slightly more maneuverable, the Lancer is studier with better avionics. Now the Ship Matrix may have it wrong, but based on what we know they are not far as far apart as you think.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Jastorin

Vice Admiral
Oct 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Jastorin
You are making assumptions.

The difference between the Cutlass Rework and the Lancer, according to the new ship matrix are minimal. The two are closer than the Hornet and the Sabre. The Cutlass is slightly faster and slightly more maneuverable, the Lancer is studier with better avionics. Now the Ship Matrix may have it wrong, but based on what we know they are not far as far apart as you think.
The current ship matrix Isn’t the stats for the rework guess we are both guilty of making assumptions

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Guys dont forget that you will be abble to capture targets on planets and space stations also.

For 1 target (if you will capture him on a planet ) the avenger is enough, for more the Blue will be likely a far better ship.
So i vote fore the Blue because it will have more fire power and more cells ( or stasis pots ) + other benefits.

Btw. maybe we will get in the future prison transport missions, so the more holding cells the better.
The Current Blue has 6 cells, the current Stalker has 6 Stasis pods. Granted the cells have bunks, so you should be able to carry 12 prisoners, but you better be able to pay attention to your prisoners so they don't kill each other in a cell, or suicide.
The Avenger is a fighter, where the Cutlass is a freighter.

Prisoner transport missions in either should prove interesting.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The current ship matrix Isn’t the stats for the rework guess we are both guilty of making assumptions
The Black doesn't carry that many missiles or have that many guns before the rework, unless I am missing a hardpoint and four ordinance attachment points on my Black somewhere. :)

The rework is supposed to though.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I actually hope this lancer pilot mentality sticks come 3.0 our pirate division will make us very rich.
Freelancers, even the Max, can't carry enough cargo to be very lucrative targets

Imma go after Hull Cs and bigger

gonna have to partner with a freighter pilot to haul the lootz

Jastorin

Vice Admiral
Oct 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Jastorin
The Black doesn't carry that many missiles or have that many guns before the rework, unless I am missing a hardpoint and four ordinance attachment points on my Black somewhere. :slight_smile:

The rework is supposed to though.
Your right I guess it is updated for it

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Your right I guess it is updated for it
I think they pulled the specs right out of the 3.0 build, so they can let the newer builds update the list with active ships.

No big deal either way.

Yes, the old Cutlass is a bit faster and more maneuverable, but less well armed.

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Freelancers, even the Max, can't carry enough cargo to be very lucrative targets

Imma go after Hull Cs and bigger

gonna have to partner with a freighter pilot to haul the lootz
Especially when the Lancer you are looking at is mine. I don't anticipate carrying much cargo. LOL.

Think of me as your friendly neighborhood Q-Ship. :)

Dylan Phoenix

Vice Admiral
Aug 18, 2017
RSI Handle
Dylan_Garrett
Hi All,
I know the Bounty Hunter Mechanics are not even a serious consideration yet. LOL but I am trying to plan ahead a little. I would love some input from those that have been at this a little longer.

I am thinking that relocating from one home base to a new one is likely to be time consuming and annoying. Even more so with the more ships I have. I do expect to play with my other half most of the time, so we should be able to shuttle ships. I figure that in order to limit that tedium I should limit myself to 4 ships. I also have a Dragonfly and a Nox 2 pack. There are three bikes because they seem to be easy to get killed based on the various demos and live streams. LOL. But I have a feeling I am going to need ground transportation. And unfortunately that probably means I will also need a buggy, or AFV.

Also given the relative travel times demonstrated, so far, that I am really not going to want to have more than one ship without an interior.

Right now I have an Avenger Titan (Upgraded from my Mustang starter package), a Cutlass Black, a MISC Freelancer and a Hornet Ghost.

The Avenger is likely going to get the Stalker module for the back, though I hope that means I can load and unload the stasis pods as the Titan is cheap to operate so with cargo would make for good starter missions and low budget runs.

I am thinking if I can get stasis pods, like in the stalker, eventually, in the forward cargo bay of the Freelancer that will likely be my most useful ship. I looked at the MIS variant but I think the missiles eat too much of the hold. I wonder if the Max can carry a buggy. In any event one of the ships in the fleet is a freelancer, though it might be a variant.

I am thinking I probably need one stealth ship, and since there is no stealth equivalent to the Freelancer that is where the Ghost, or probable upgrade to the Sabre has a role.

That leaves me the Cutlass, which while I try to love it, I can't stand the look of it and I was thinking I need a bigger ship for my top end ship. The question here becomes what?
Like the Cutlass, I really don't like the Connie, bot from an aesthetic standpoint and a flight model standpoint, though the Andromeda or even Taurus is likely very practical for the role, especially for the transport of a ground vehicle to haul Prisoners.
I like the Vanguard, I love the look, I love the way it flies, at least in AC, but since I can't strap a bike to the rear ramp, and I don't have anywhere to put a prisoner they aren't very practical for that job. :slight_smile:
I love the look of the Tali, though I haven't flown one, with the modules it should be even more practical than the Andromeda, though I don't know what it can do in terms of ground vehicles. Not having pilot controlled guns and needing a larger crew, makes me very cautious.
Then there is the Redeemer, if it flies anything like the Vanguard, once the rework is done, and if the cargo bay can carry a bike, and if the note in the $65 million dollar stretch goal about replacing the troop seats with prisoner stasis pods, this ship sounds ideal, but there are an awful lot of ifs. :slight_smile:

Did I miss anything? (Other than I am missing an Aurora. LOL)
Are there other ships I should be considering?
Is 4 too many?
Is my basic thought process flawed?

Thanks guys.
Avenger Stalker, Cutlass Blue, and the 325A are really the only ships that have ever been labeled for "bounty hunting" / police work; and atm the 325A is complete unknown - we have no real clue of what changes CIG will make to it following the rework of the 300 series in the future. My honest opinion? You can't go wrong with the Avenger Stalker, especially considering that it is probably the closest to what is likely it's intended final state (in relative comparison) out of the three; not to mention that the Avenger series will undeniably give you the biggest bang for your buck out of nearly any other ship out there. Despite my dislike for anything Drake, the Cutlass Blue is like a step up from the Avenger (in some ways), and is more towards a full-blown police ship, than just "bounty hunting" - Interesting fact: The Cutlass Blue's original role label on the RSI site before they changed up all the stats this past week was actually labeled as "Police" for it's role.

Last edited:

Pander

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Pander22
I made the same point on missiles, since the Cutlass has more missiles, though the MIS has more if you want them. Further missiles are expensive, so cut into your profit margin. I am actually considering the MIS, not for removable missile reload racks, I would rather remove them, but for the sensors and fire control.

According to the specs, the Cutlass is slightly more maneuverable, but the Freelancer takes more punishment, has better sensors, and can get you further. If you are chasing a Fighter then neither is maneuverable enough or fast enough to get the job done. Just keeping the nose of either on the target will be a challenge. Both can run down anything bigger than them.

Comparing the Lancer to the new Cutlass is similar to comparing the Hornet to the Sabre. One has slightly better firepower, better speed and better maneuverability the other is more durable and more versatile, the new Cutlass is much closer to the Lancer than the Sabre is to the Hornet.

How much do those cells mass? The Blue isn't in game, but if the difference between the Avenger Titan and the Stalker are any indication, the Blue isn't going to maneuver as well or be as fast as an empty Black. (Note I do believe the MIS with the missile racks is likely in the same situation.

They are supposed to be adding modules to the ships meaning you don't need to have 6 cells in your ship you could have 1 or 2 and add some space, Maybe even take the cells from the stalker for example?

The blue also has the advantage of additional Armour and shields with taking out your cells can also give you a large benefit.

On top of this your cutty could be a mix of blue and black maybe the armour from the blue and the quieter engines from the black.

Now fair enough they are "close" in maneuvering specs but that in terms of speed this is life and death milliseconds count when someone is racing, chasing or just trying to kill you and if the blue can turn me around a corner just slightly faster than the lancer im on him and I have won the game. now what we are saying is there is no "perfect" bounty hunter ship something will always be faster or tougher than you are but the cutlass gives you the versatility you need to give you the advantages against something else this is what the cutty is made to do

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Exactly. If you want to form a useful generalization, the primary one would be they are both Vanguard Happy Meals.

They are supposed to be adding modules to the ships meaning you don't need to have 6 cells in your ship you could have 1 or 2 and add some space, Maybe even take the cells from the stalker for example?
Great question we have been hoping to see answered soon. Can you put just a single stasis pod, even a mobile one, into a cargo space? Can you put unlocked cargo in people spaces? Can you park an X1 Force inside a Hoplite? There are many questions to be answered here.

Reactions: Pander

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

The blue also has the advantage of additional Armour and shields with taking out your cells can also give you a large benefit.

On top of this your cutty could be a mix of blue and black maybe the armour from the blue and the quieter engines from the black.

Now fair enough they are "close" in maneuvering specs but that in terms of speed this is life and death milliseconds count when someone is racing, chasing or just trying to kill you and if the blue can turn me around a corner just slightly faster than the lancer im on him and I have won the game. now what we are saying is there is no "perfect" bounty hunter ship something will always be faster or tougher than you are but the cutlass gives you the versatility you need to give you the advantages against something else this is what the cutty is made to do
By the same token the Stasis pods could fit in the forward cargo hold of the Lancer and still have room for two Nox in the rear. And the Lancer has the max crew size to run the Lancer and two Nox, where the Cutlass Blue is likely to have to offload half its cells to carry one Nox or Dragonfly.

Yes, they are both versatile. I don't see much difference between them, they fill the same general role. That is one role that has to be filled for any bounty hunter even one that is running only one ship and has progressed past the Avenger stage.

For me the Lancer, possibly the MIS variant, is going to fill that role as long as I can put Stasis pods on it. :)
Speed is only one consideration out of many and there are very few ships that can outrun or outmaneuver the Lancer that doesn't also outrun and outmaneuver the Cutlass. The Lancer carries better sensors and avionics, better fire control, is sturdier, carries more and goes further on a tank of gas. Further I think the Lancer is less likely to attract attention.

The only ship that the Cutlass is faster than or more maneuverable than, which the Freelancer is not, is the Freelancer, at least in the current ship matrix. :)

If I need to run something down that is faster than the Lancer I have an Avenger and a Sabre, or a couple of missiles (Preferably with EMP warheads) can be used to slow down the target. But quite frankly, if I am going to go after someone in space, with either a Lancer or a Cutlass, I have already lost. The damage and ordinance costs make most bounties non-profitable at that point.

Amon Morell

Space Marshal
Jun 19, 2015
RSI Handle
Amon Morell
By the same token the Stasis pods could fit in the forward cargo hold of the Lancer and still have room for two Nox in the rear. And the Lancer has the max crew size to run the Lancer and two Nox, where the Cutlass Blue is likely to have to offload half its cells to carry one Nox or Dragonfly.

Yes, they are both versatile. I don't see much difference between them, they fill the same general role. That is one role that has to be filled for any bounty hunter even one that is running only one ship and has progressed past the Avenger stage.

For me the Lancer, possibly the MIS variant, is going to fill that role as long as I can put Stasis pods on it. :slight_smile:
Speed is only one consideration out of many and there are very few ships that can outrun or outmaneuver the Lancer that doesn't also outrun and outmaneuver the Cutlass. The Lancer carries better sensors and avionics, better fire control, is sturdier, carries more and goes further on a tank of gas. Further I think the Lancer is less likely to attract attention.

The only ship that the Cutlass is faster than or more maneuverable than, which the Freelancer is not, is the Freelancer, at least in the current ship matrix. :slight_smile:

If I need to run something down that is faster than the Lancer I have an Avenger and a Sabre, or a couple of missiles (Preferably with EMP warheads) can be used to slow down the target. But quite frankly, if I am going to go after someone in space, with either a Lancer or a Cutlass, I have already lost. The damage and ordinance costs make most bounties non-profitable at that point.
The Blue will likely be faster than the Black.
I know its not in the new ship matrix, but the older information that we got about the Blue told us that it will have faster and more agresive engines.

Last edited:

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
People have also talked about the super hornet allowing capture in the spare seat. Quite frankly the game is to far from release with the mechanics at best half baked. The danger with the cutlass blue will be it maybe not be so great at dogfighting what with the weight gain, but if so is the blue only going to be of use as jail van? You have plenty of time to make your decision lots will change. Pick for looks, pick for ability and remember you will be able to purchase different ships in the game at some point so maybe its not that critical.

Jastorin

Vice Admiral
Oct 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Jastorin

For me the Lancer, possibly the MIS variant, is going to fill that role as long as I can put Stasis pods on it. :slight_smile:

The only ship that the Cutlass is faster than or more maneuverable than, which the Freelancer is not, is the Freelancer, at least in the current ship matrix. :slight_smile:

Don’t forget about the extra seating in the back of the Cutlass for a boarding party six I think it is.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Don’t forget about the extra seating in the back of the Cutlass for a boarding party six I think it is.
6 folding seats based on the game play videos from Gamescon and a bug smashers video or two. Apparently Dropship capacity does not count toward ship crew capacity, though I am not sure how that works for Life Support, it does imply it is not a long term solution for traveling. (The Hoplite even goes so far as to eliminate any long term accommodations.

I was considering an actual dropship, in particular the Redeemer, as a nice to have for a Bounty Hunter, but since I need something that can carry a buggy, if I get a Redeemer it will be to replace the Freelancer., if I am to stay with 4 ships. :slight_smile:

Now if I go with the Avenger the Sabre, the Redeemer and, if a Tali can carry a buggy, a Tali, it will be straight Aegis ships. LOL. That is about $100 more than I wanted to commit. LOL.

Jastorin

Vice Admiral
Oct 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Jastorin
6 folding seats based on the game play videos from Gamescon and a bug smashers video or two. Apparently Dropship capacity does not count toward ship crew capacity, though I am not sure how that works for Life Support, it does imply it is not a long term solution for traveling. (The Hoplite even goes so far as to eliminate any long term accommodations.

I was considering an actual dropship, in particular the Redeemer, as a nice to have for a Bounty Hunter, but since I need something that can carry a buggy, if I get a Redeemer it will be to replace the Freelancer., if I am to stay with 4 ships. :slight_smile:

Now if I go with the Avenger the Sabre, the Redeemer and, if a Tali can carry a buggy, a Tali, it will be straight Aegis ships. LOL. That is about $100 more than I wanted to commit. LOL.
Passengers don’t count towards crew. Crew are what’s needed or can operate something in the ship. Transports like the Phoenix aren’t counting passengers as crew as far as I know. Maybe they will have numbers for passengers that can be supported later.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Passengers don’t count towards crew. Crew are what’s needed or can operate something in the ship. Transports like the Phoenix aren’t counting passengers as crew as far as I know. Maybe they will have numbers for passengers that can be supported later.
Passengers in the Phoenix have a stateroom. Well a suite is more accurate.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Yes, but bounty hunting is supposed to be released with 3.0, so one hopes they have worked out a host of these issues.
Where did you see that?

I guess technically it is active now, since you get paid a bounty for taking out the "Public Enemy."

Forgot your password?