Fleet planning for a Bounty Hunter

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The note about Bounty Hunting going active with 3.0 is not very old. Maybe 6 weeks or so ago? Was noted the same time as prospecting I think. There had been mentions of both these much further back, but it was made note of again recently, so one hopes that is the plan still. I think the mechanic is really in the form of the missions, but if they want us to capture bounties, then they will need to provide a way to do that, and this is the mechanic the BH's have been waiting on.

Reactions: Richard Bong

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Yes but I don’t see a number of passengers it can carry unless I missed it as far as what life support can handle.
Is hasn't gotten that far yet. The lack of proper facilities in Drop Ships for troops. to include the Cutlass, implies, but does not prove, they are designed for short term use, at least for those troops carried in the drop seats. (Though the Cutlass, Redeemer, and Retaliator with Dropship module have long term facilities for the ship's crew.) Note of the Dropships the Hoplite doesn't have long term capability for anyone, and I don't recall the Prowler having it either.

Man if I could carry Stasis pods, a Nox and Cargo in a Prowler.... LOL.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Yeah. There must be a way to put something in there. Even if it is not secured. . .
Unsecure bikes make bad things happen when you go quantum or jump, according to things said.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I know, and right now they won;t fit. One has to wonder at what sort of synthetic rationale will be invented that nearly all ships don't have grav plates in them for hauling cargo. If I could use a Prowler, I would think on becoming a light freight hauler.

Jastorin

Vice Admiral
Oct 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Jastorin
Is hasn't gotten that far yet. The lack of proper facilities in Drop Ships for troops. to include the Cutlass, implies, but does not prove, they are designed for short term use, at least for those troops carried in the drop seats. (Though the Cutlass, Redeemer, and Retaliator with Dropship module have long term facilities for the ship's crew.) Note of the Dropships the Hoplite doesn't have long term capability for anyone, and I don't recall the Prowler having it either.

Man if I could carry Stasis pods, a Nox and Cargo in a Prowler.... LOL.
The Cutlass is designed to be a boarding ship it only makes sense for it to have seats for it. It all depends on how the beds work from my understanding in one of the weekly videos if someone logs off in the crew an npc takes their place once that is implemented. So until they say otherwise I would think anyone could use the bed and log and disappear leaving the bed open for the next person to log off. Though I would imagine if your going out for piracy your pry going to go drop the people and cargo off eventually I know I wouldn't want to log out in space with goods in my hull if I was a pirate. I like the cutlass for its dropship potential at $125 less than the Hoplite it will do even if its not as durable to start out with.

What we should really talk about is the best ships to have to do it in 3.0 with what we have available to us since the modules for upgrading everything aren't out yet to know what we can and can't do or how far it will go. I doubt stasis pods will be just cargo and actually work I think the holding cells could since they don't require power. Also keep in mind that most of your bounties pry won't be alone or only have one ship for you to worry about. I am just speculation but I would think when going for players it will be a small gang thing just like piracy will be a small gang of ships. The goal on both sides is to disable the ships they are going after and board it to get what you came for. If you catch them why they are out there is a chance their could be a boarding party on board as well even if they don't have other ships with them. I would be very surprised if bounty hunting is something you do solo successfully just like piracy will pry not be the best activity to do alone if you want to have a good bit of success.

All I am saying is don't go in gun hoe and think its going to be easy in any ship and also remember if your going after a Cutlass there is no eject button if the ship dies most likely so does your target/s. More than likely they will be shooting to kill or disable you too. You need to be in a ship you can be precise with to disable the enemy ship or you don't need the stasis pods or holding cells since you won't be bringing anything back because you destroyed it all if that's the plan then you can just pick any heavily armed ship and have at it and take what you get for killing them and maybe learn what is good to salvage from the wreck to get more UEC and leave the cargo hold open if you have one for carrying said salvage back. Its going to take some finesse to disable a ship instead of just using raw firepower to destroy it. It kind of disappoints me that the suckerpunch guns aren't listed as being on the redesign because they are all about draining the power from the ship to bring the shields down to make it easier to disable the ship or have them surrender. Three shots to kill them pry isn't what you want to bring if its your goal. Ballistics as long as they are aimed well will pry do the job nicely since shields don't really stop them but you pry don't want to have huge guns if your going to do this and then storm their ship to try to capture them alive.

When your deciding what to get just remember its great if you have a bunch of turrets with big guns but if they all fire and hit and instantly blow up the ship and kill everyone your not really bounty hunting your just pvping and if they have someone they are holding for ransom then you might become a criminal yourself. The avenger is a good start imo its fast maneuverable and has a gat to take the engines out with and they should have a hard time tracking you. I am still not a fan of doing it by yourself and you pry don't need cells or stasis pods on every ship in your fleet you only will really need one unless you hit the mother load but I doubt that will happen without a fleet which will pry have all the pods and cells you need in a couple of ships. Just like piracy the Buc is made to fly support for the Cutlass pretty much it doesn't have cargo or a place to hold a boarding party. I bet there is a lot of people out there loaded up on dogfighters that plan on doing bounty hunting or piracy so keep that in mind as well. Know your target and what they travel with and don't think you always need to be in a ship that has the cells or pods as long as someone brings one. Fly what you enjoy to do whatever you enjoy just make sure someone brings a ship that can hold cargo or prisoners.

Jastorin

Vice Admiral
Oct 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Jastorin
The other reason I recommend the cutlass is because you will be able to slave the turret to the pilots head and I believe the OP already said he had a partner in his endeavors so they could bring more than one ship. To give them a better chance of getting them to surrender or at disabling the ship if they are more than one target for the pirate to shoot back at. If they happen to be going after a lone pirate that doesn't fly with other people that often.

Just my two cents.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The Cutlass is designed to be a boarding ship it only makes sense for it to have seats for it. It all depends on how the beds work from my understanding in one of the weekly videos if someone logs off in the crew an npc takes their place once that is implemented. So until they say otherwise I would think anyone could use the bed and log and disappear leaving the bed open for the next person to log off. Though I would imagine if your going out for piracy your pry going to go drop the people and cargo off eventually I know I wouldn't want to log out in space with goods in my hull if I was a pirate. I like the cutlass for its dropship potential at $125 less than the Hoplite it will do even if its not as durable to start out with.

What we should really talk about is the best ships to have to do it in 3.0 with what we have available to us since the modules for upgrading everything aren't out yet to know what we can and can't do or how far it will go. I doubt stasis pods will be just cargo and actually work I think the holding cells could since they don't require power. Also keep in mind that most of your bounties pry won't be alone or only have one ship for you to worry about. I am just speculation but I would think when going for players it will be a small gang thing just like piracy will be a small gang of ships. The goal on both sides is to disable the ships they are going after and board it to get what you came for. If you catch them why they are out there is a chance their could be a boarding party on board as well even if they don't have other ships with them. I would be very surprised if bounty hunting is something you do solo successfully just like piracy will pry not be the best activity to do alone if you want to have a good bit of success.

All I am saying is don't go in gun hoe and think its going to be easy in any ship and also remember if your going after a Cutlass there is no eject button if the ship dies most likely so does your target/s. More than likely they will be shooting to kill or disable you too. You need to be in a ship you can be precise with to disable the enemy ship or you don't need the stasis pods or holding cells since you won't be bringing anything back because you destroyed it all if that's the plan then you can just pick any heavily armed ship and have at it and take what you get for killing them and maybe learn what is good to salvage from the wreck to get more UEC and leave the cargo hold open if you have one for carrying said salvage back. Its going to take some finesse to disable a ship instead of just using raw firepower to destroy it. It kind of disappoints me that the suckerpunch guns aren't listed as being on the redesign because they are all about draining the power from the ship to bring the shields down to make it easier to disable the ship or have them surrender. Three shots to kill them pry isn't what you want to bring if its your goal. Ballistics as long as they are aimed well will pry do the job nicely since shields don't really stop them but you pry don't want to have huge guns if your going to do this and then storm their ship to try to capture them alive.

When your deciding what to get just remember its great if you have a bunch of turrets with big guns but if they all fire and hit and instantly blow up the ship and kill everyone your not really bounty hunting your just pvping and if they have someone they are holding for ransom then you might become a criminal yourself. The avenger is a good start imo its fast maneuverable and has a gat to take the engines out with and they should have a hard time tracking you. I am still not a fan of doing it by yourself and you pry don't need cells or stasis pods on every ship in your fleet you only will really need one unless you hit the mother load but I doubt that will happen without a fleet which will pry have all the pods and cells you need in a couple of ships. Just like piracy the Buc is made to fly support for the Cutlass pretty much it doesn't have cargo or a place to hold a boarding party. I bet there is a lot of people out there loaded up on dogfighters that plan on doing bounty hunting or piracy so keep that in mind as well. Know your target and what they travel with and don't think you always need to be in a ship that has the cells or pods as long as someone brings one. Fly what you enjoy to do whatever you enjoy just make sure someone brings a ship that can hold cargo or prisoners.
I wasn't talking about logging off. I was talking about long flights, living on a ship. The same issues that you incur from riding in a single seat fighter would apply to the troops in a dropship.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

I expect to take most bounties on the ground. If they are on a ship, then EMP warheads on size 3 or 4 missiles would likely be the best choice. Though mounting an EMP warhead on a size 9 Torpedo might prove interesting.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I know, and right now they won;t fit. One has to wonder at what sort of synthetic rationale will be invented that nearly all ships don't have grav plates in them for hauling cargo. If I could use a Prowler, I would think on becoming a light freight hauler.
The same rationale that makes Lasers have muzzle velocities other than 3x10^8 meters per second or maximum velocity on a starship, or combat velocities that are slower than an F-15.

Jastorin

Vice Admiral
Oct 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Jastorin
I expect to take most bounties on the ground. If they are on a ship, then EMP warheads on size 3 or 4 missiles would likely be the best choice. Though mounting an EMP warhead on a size 9 Torpedo might prove interesting.
guess I am glad I am not going to be a pirate if they are so easy to capture and take out and on the ground so much

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
guess I am glad I am not going to be a pirate if they are so easy to capture and take out and on the ground so much
Pirates are not the only bounties.

"We are a single body, with no allegiance to anyone but ourselves. We offer one, simple service to all of our clients - we will cross contested jurisdictions for you, find who or what you’re looking for, and bring it back to you in the condition requested. Simple. Elegant. No one knows who hires us, but everyone knows they can trust us to get the job done, and we can guarantee that because our agents are guided by one principle, one code. What is that code?"

"The Warrant is all."

- Turin, RAC Officer

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I wasn't talking about logging off. I was talking about long flights, living on a ship. The same issues that you incur from riding in a single seat fighter would apply to the troops in a dropship.
The issue with logging off concerns the presence of a bed. If you have a bed aboard, you can log off and log back on the next day, to find your ship wherever you left it, such as an ambush position. You can't do that without a bed. Also there has been some talk that we may be able to set our spawning points to specific beds aboard craft. That could make a bed indispensable when doing boarding actions, if everyone aboard say, a group of Hoplites, who are leading boarding troops, can spawn in a Warden if they're killed in action.

Whatever the solution, there is no doubt that the game is predicated upon range and distance issues we have not seen while Alpha is confined to a single system. That's about to change in 3.0.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The issue with logging off concerns the presence of a bed. If you have a bed aboard, you can log off and log back on the next day, to find your ship wherever you left it, such as an ambush position. You can't do that without a bed. Also there has been some talk that we may be able to set our spawning points to specific beds aboard craft. That could make a bed indispensable when doing boarding actions, if everyone aboard say, a group of Hoplites, who are leading boarding troops, can spawn in a Warden if they're killed in action.

Whatever the solution, there is no doubt that the game is predicated upon range and distance issues we have not seen while Alpha is confined to a single system. That's about to change in 3.0.
3.0 is not just a single system, it is a single planet. The rest of the Stanton system is to follow, before we ever get to leave the system.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Bounty Hunting in 3.0 is probably nothing more than "this player/NPC has a bounty, go chase them down and destroy their ship and we'll give you monies".

Which is an improvement over nothing, but I wouldn't get too excited or get expectations too high.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Bounty Hunting in 3.0 is probably nothing more than "this player/NPC has a bounty, go chase them down and destroy their ship and we'll give you monies".
Yeah. Quite possible but we can hope they give us means to subdue and secure. Even if not though, I would note that most places you will find an NPC outlaw, the general populous will kill you on sight if they find you are a hunter. Bounty Hunting is not for the faint of heart. Most players would do well to never visit the Fora system, and for excellent reasons.

Jastorin

Vice Admiral
Oct 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Jastorin
3.0 is not just a single system, it is a single planet. The rest of the Stanton system is to follow, before we ever get to leave the system.
It’s going to be three moons in 3.0 and a single system right now it isn’t even a full system. 3.0 is also introducing hauling and piracy so with that will pry also come players with bounties. Not sure if every system is going to have unpoliced areas or what or if pirates will never be able to sit still to long. Though there will still be Grimm Hex so my guess is it will work like now.

Forgot your password?