From AtV, IFCS and flight model changes coming

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Im glad this is being done.

The flight model has been weird for a long time. Being able to strafe sideways at 20Gs is probably not the best thing I have seen in a flight sim.

Im looking forward to seeing where this takes us!

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I find that when CR talks (even briefly) about technical issues/challnges, and what they are doing to address them, I am completely fine with how long it is taking and why the game is currently the way it is.

Stuff like (watched it yesterday, can't remember exactly) the necessary info only loading into the first 4 cores of server, even if the server has 32 cores, which slows the whole friggin' thing down, so they have to re-write legacy code to take advantage of all 32 cores...I hear stuff like that and go, "Oh yeah, that is a problem and that will take time to fix, and while that is getting fixed things will be just a bit slower..."

Still won't stop the trolls, but this isn't about them...THIS IS ABOUT ME, lol!

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Im curious as to why they left it this long?

Did they suddenly realize now, 2yrs later, that nobody is actually enjoying flying around?
My guess is they figured it's functional, even if not optimal, and so they decided to focus on other things because at least it was playable.

That team then probably got pulled into something really important with a lot of other things depending on it and they weren't able to refocus them.

Total guess as to why it's now a skunkworks project CR is on. Generally stuff like that is why I would have done the same on one of my projects.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
no Space Sharks for Star Citizen

I am disappoint

edit:
object container streaming + phased batch model + server meshing = 200+ players per server

I need to change my undies

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Did they suddenly realize now, 2yrs later, that nobody is actually enjoying flying around?
I think it was those players who blockaded Cryastros crying about AC needing to be fixed...

So the flight model needs fixing? Then they'll fix it.

Those blockaders want it the way it was when they were winning over and over in AC, but CR has made no secret that they've always wanted full Newtonian - so my guess is no more full power strafe apart from on that Xi-An scout as mentioned by CR, potentially no more advantage to using dual sticks at all as those mav thrusters will be good at twisting the ship but not at actually moving it... potentially you will more than likely need to play like Asteroid where you'll need to flip your main thrusters round to get the best effect... Advantage Gimbals and Mouse and Keyboard...?

I don't think those blockaders had any idea what they've been demanding to be done. You think they were salty before?

Last edited:

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I don't think those blockaders had any idea what they've been demanding to be done. You think they were salty before?
The blockaders are not the reason.

John Pritchard, the physicist that created IFCS had left his position at CIG last month. This was going to happen anyway.

The hardcore pilots are probably going to be pissed with the new flight model, that much we can expect.

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden

My guess is it happens to do with the schedule. As CR has said, one thing leads to another which leads to another. I'm assuming that work on the physics engine right now is gating a new IFCS. Why spend time revising a model that is going to be incompatible in the future?

I think it's a case of deal with it until its piece gets fit into the puzzle.

Crimsontarget

Captain
May 31, 2018
RSI Handle
Crimsontarget

John Pritchett left. I imagine he'd had enough of his model being butchered by devs who think in FPS terms like DPS and TTK.

Perhaps CR finally saw the old model was not practical no matter what JP tried to do with IFCS as the devs just played bingo ball lottery until the inputs felt right and we got these crazy overpower thrusters to make it feel as responsive as an FPS would play.

With item 2.0 they had the chance to start again.

Better late than never.

Crimsontarget

Captain
May 31, 2018
RSI Handle
Crimsontarget
The blockaders are not the reason.

John Pritchard, the physicist that created IFCS had left his position at CIG last month. This was going to happen anyway.

The hardcore pilots are probably going to be pissed with the new flight model, that much we can expect.
Agree. The AC ace jocks are gonna be most upset. They went very quiet on Spectrum all of a sudden.

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
I know some people really like DCS, but you have to be very careful or you end up with World of Warplanes, where the majority of people can't do more than take off and land without a great deal of trouble. I backed SC thinking the flight model would be like WingCommanderPrivateerStarlancerFreelancer, based on CR. If the flight model becomes more like DCS/WoWP, I doubt I'll be able to more than cargo runs. It's ok though, I planned to spend most of my time saying "He's dead, skipper!" and "Stay down 'til I drag you behind this rock!"

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader

Because to effectively 'balance' the flight mechanics & IFCS larger ships were needed.
Also, Item Port 2.0 had to be completed.

This 'Balance' has always been an ongoing tweek but now with Item Port 2.0 finished CIG can start to balance the flight mechanics while considering weight, load distribution, component wear and/or damage, atmosphere density, gravity, etc etc etc

From this point on until game release, this will be constantly tweeked as new ships, weapons, components, etc are added.
Each ship will handle differently depending on loadout, overclocking, power distribution, total weight (what cargo) etc.
[And how the user flies that ship]
SC is and has always been about 'Virtual Reality' and not just another arcade clone.
This has always been CR's vision & what we Pledged for.

If you are one of those that 'suddenly' don't like this flight model, there are thousands of arcade clone 'pinball' games available for you to play.
Best learn to ropes now, however.
Star Citizen is setting the goal post for ALL future Space Sims as well as games in general.
Do you honestly believe that after SC releases people will not want (and Demand) 64 bit gaming maps, VOIP, FOIP, Immersion, 'Realistic' flight models (allowing for game play fun)? Think again.

I have waited for this since I played Elite: First Frontier.
Star Citizen is the Future.
I am so excited..............You will really start to see and experience this 'wonder' with 3.3

Enjoy. I am.

Last edited:

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I know some people really like DCS, but you have to be very careful or you end up with World of Warplanes, where the majority of people can't do more than take off and land without a great deal of trouble. I backed SC thinking the flight model would be like WingCommanderPrivateerStarlancerFreelancer, based on CR. If the flight model becomes more like DCS/WoWP, I doubt I'll be able to more than cargo runs. It's ok though, I planned to spend most of my time saying "He's dead, skipper!" and "Stay down 'til I drag you behind this rock!"
I too originally backed thinking this would in essence be Freelancer the MMO as far as flight models and combat. I'm doing my best to improve where I can but the fact of the matter is I may not end up having the reflexes for anything overly realistic. If I can't contribute in combat in a meaningful way i'll just have to stick to mining, scrapping, med ship running, and truck hauling and try to have my fun that way

Forgot your password?