GamesCom ship sale is about to start!

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
I'd love to buy the terrapin but I just don't think it's right for me. Here's my logic (using this post to lay out my thinking as an aid to making a final decision).

I could sell all of my ships and go for one of the packs. Probably not a good idea because as much as I would love a Carrack/Aquila, those are multi-person ships that I don't think a single player could manage them effectively, and at least initially that's my focus.

Ok, so focussing on the Terrapin. I could upgrade my Freelancer DUR to the Terrapin as they fill the same role, and that would cost $70
  • Both are explorers.
  • The Terrapin is a lot tougher.
  • The DUR has the extended tanks, for longer range. The universe isn't going to be that big for some time, so probably not a huge factor.
  • The Terrapin looks to be a lot slower (looking at Engine specs, but those are untrustworthy as it's being listed with only a single class 2 shield which is obvious baloney). I think we have to ignore this one, or at least assume that both are good enough, but won't win any races.
  • The DUR is probably a better general fighter if jumped since it has the missiles, and those would do more good on a lumbering ship than the larger Terrapin weapon, but the terrapin is more likely to survive a pounding and be able to get out of dodge. Realistically the Terrapin wins this one.
  • The DUR can carry a modest amount of Cargo, so serves a secondary role. No such joy with the Terrapin.
  • *** Huge point *** The Dur is one of the few smaller ships that can carry the Dragonfly. The Terrapin definitely cannot (from the holoviewer at least). Having an explorer that can drop a dragonfly for ground-work should be really useful (we saw a nod to that in tonight's demo).
  • The Terrapin has that new ship smell.
Ok, the last point has decided me. I'll make a token effort to find out if my Cutlass Blue can load a Dragonfly, then melt my Reliant and upgrade my Dur for a few dollars.

Thank you all for your assistance. ;)
I think I'm on the same page as you. I don't currently have a small multi-crew and after that demo, I really want one.

From the video, it looked like maybe the Lancer MAX could hold 4 Dragonflies even? Not convinced to buy either MAX or DUR yet though, I really want to see the reworked variants.

Also, seems like the Redeemer got pushed back and substituted by a Vanguard variant?

I might just upgrade my Ghost to a SH just so I can take a buddy on a mission. Regardless, I think my wallet is pretty safe this sale, which is not what I was expecting at all.

marctek

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Marctek
Will the Ursa Rover fit in the Starfarer? I'm debating melting my Starfarer and buying the one explorer package.

Is it just me or does the Terrapin seem to be more for scanning inside enemy territory for military support and planning than for general exploring. Other wise it kind of fills the same roll as the Dur.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
My wallet is happy to report that it is safe, I have a carrack which is supposed to come with a rover, Have my dragonfly and the terrapin is getting bought in game. My wallet is so proud of me.

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
My faithful Freelancer has made the ultimate sacrifice. It has thrown itself upon the fires of progress and been reforged as an LTI Terrapin. One day I shall be able to keep a Freelancer in my hanger for longer than two days.... But on the flip side, I also purchased a Taurus --> Freelancer MIS upgrade from Reddit. Now I just need to find an LTI Taurus.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
My faithful Freelancer has made the ultimate sacrifice. It has thrown itself upon the fires of progress and been reforged as an LTI Terrapin. One day I shall be able to keep a Freelancer in my hanger for longer than two days.... But on the flip side, I also purchased a Taurus --> Freelancer MIS upgrade from Reddit. Now I just need to find an LTI Taurus.
You can get any LTI token (like the dragonfly) and upgrade it to the Taurus (which is permanent) and voila, you got yourself a Freelancer MIS

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
You can get any LTI token (like the dragonfly) and upgrade it to the Taurus (which is permanent) and voila, you got yourself a Freelancer MIS
I'm actually waiting to see if the Argo has LTI on release. After seeing the presentation, I'm definitely keeping my Yellowjacket around.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I gotta do some math. The mega explorer pack is 150 dollar savings. With LTI. That's awesome.
I may end up melting most of my ships here . . .
I could melt all my ships but my saber and reliant kore plus add 70 us dollars. I could get the package. crap, the more I thing of it the more I might. hate to loose the starfarer though. Owl, your making me second guess myself.

theclink12

Ensign
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
theclink12
I could melt all my ships but my saber and reliant kore plus add 70 us dollars. I could get the package. crap, the more I thing of it the more I might. hate to loose the starfarer though. Owl, your making me second guess myself.
My line of thinking is that they now allow you to buy back pledges that you have melted. so I melted my starfarer to buy the package.. I can always get it later, but it only had 6 months insurance so it might come up in the next few months with LTI so I figure I loose nothing and only pay a little bit now but keep my options open later.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
My line of thinking is that they now allow you to buy back pledges that you have melted. so I melted my starfarer to buy the package.. I can always get it later, but it only had 6 months insurance so it might come up in the next few months with LTI so I figure I loose nothing and only pay a little bit now but keep my options open later.
my starfarer was an upgrade. if I melt it, its gone

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I melted the Kate Upton,(my beloved Freelancer DUR)for an LTI Terrapin. I have 8 dragonflies and I love the little devils so much, I don't want to CCU even one of them to a new LTI DUR. I'm an idiot.
8 Dragonflies!? Good god man.... what are you trying to start up a motorcycle gang in your caterpillar garage/bar?

Forgot your password?