Have you paid for non-LTI Ships?

Have you bought a Ship without LTI (except Aurora MR/Mustang Alpha from Game Packages)

• Yes.

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • Yes, but I plan on melting it and get something with LTI.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • No.

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • No, but I will eventually.

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

I_MIKE_I

Space Marshal
May 7, 2016
RSI Handle
I_MIKE_I
Here's the rub: with the current understanding of insurances, getting hull insurance (which is the type of coverage that LTI provides) is going to be dirt cheap. That hull insurance (LTI or not) only covers the hull. if you want coverage on your upgrades ro cargo, that's a seperate thing which can't be covered by LTI (EDIT: retaliator bays and Vanguard BUKS aside.) Furthermore, the 6 month and up insurance provided on various ships? That's 6 months of contiguous, real-world gameplay time. Not 6 months in-game. If you break it down and assume that someone plays 2 hours a day, and that an average month has 30 days, that 6 months comes out to roughly 5.9 years of insurance time.

Which is why I don't really care outside of my "neat, shiny things" urge to have LTI on a ship; unless insurance mechanics change drastically, it really won't matter.
That's why I really don't care about going from LTI down to (in my case) 3 year insurance.

3 years of continuous game time = 26280 hours.

That is 9 years of playing 8 hours a day, every day without a break.

For the average player 2 years of insurance will likely last them 8+ years. 20 hours a week is a huge chunk of time for most people to spend on a video game.
Insurance will be based on Ingame-Time, which will be significantly speed up. (source: 10ftc EP 28 around 14:30)

Grey Market? what is that. I'm new to the game.
Basically, everything you can buy Ships from except the official site.

Even we have a marketplace area where 90%+ is Ships/Upgrades etc. you can also buy it on eBay or a reddit, but that reddit thingy isn't really worth it, unless you're a real trader... back when I tried to get a game package there, nobody wanted to sell me one because I had no reputation of completed trades. I got my BMM from eBay at a lower price than on the official site, even tough it has LTI ... but the reason for this was, that the guy who sold it was from the UK and the pound dropped compared to the €, as well as the fact that CIG charges me plenty of tax. On top of that, I had a Paypal Coupon (15€ if I buy something for 30€+), but even without it I'd have been slightly below CIG's price.

Reactions: marcsand2

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
Insurance will be based on Ingame-Time, which will be significantly speed up. (source: 10ftc EP 28 around 14:30)
I can't dig my source out at the moment, but if I remember to do it tonight, I will; CR himself has clarified the insurance as being based on real-world time spent playing, not the compressed in-universe time. So 6 months would mean 6 continuous meatspace months, if one was logged in 24/7.

Cherokeedog

Admiral
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
Cherokeedog
This:
Here's the rub: with the current understanding of insurances, getting hull insurance (which is the type of coverage that LTI provides) is going to be dirt cheap.
As I see it, having LTI in the actual game, will simply save you the hassle of keepin' an eye over your ships' insurance status. I'd say it's highly unlikely for insurance to be hard to manage in the PU, as that would generate too much of an advantage for the backers, over the players who will buy just the finished product. CIG keeps talkin' about balance, so I'm heavily inclined to believe them when they say LTI don't matter that much.

That being said, I have ships with AND without LTI. I ain't worried.

And to be honest, I'm makin' heavy efforts to not acquire too much of a fleet before the PU, 'cause I've got a feelin' it could cripple my game experience, at least for the beginning part. Ain't easy though, 'cause every time I take a look at them flyin' rigs, I feel like a kid let loose in the candy store.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
This:

As I see it, having LTI in the actual game, will simply save you the hassle of keepin' an eye over your ships' insurance status. I'd say it's highly unlikely for insurance to be hard to manage in the PU, as that would generate too much of an advantage for the backers, over the players who will buy just the finished product. CIG keeps talkin' about balance, so I'm heavily inclined to believe them when they say LTI don't matter that much.

That being said, I have ships with AND without LTI. I ain't worried.

And to be honest, I'm makin' heavy efforts to not acquire too much of a fleet before the PU, 'cause I've got a feelin' it could cripple my game experience, at least for the beginning part. Ain't easy though, 'cause every time I take a look at them flyin' rigs, I feel like a kid let loose in the candy store.

One type of insurance. You still need to pay for the (optional) cargo and upgrade insurances, unless you want to replace all of the weapons and cargo every time your ship is destroyed.

I_MIKE_I

Space Marshal
May 7, 2016
RSI Handle
I_MIKE_I
One type of insurance. You still need to pay for the (optional) cargo and upgrade insurances, unless you want to replace all of the weapons and cargo every time your ship is destroyed.
You'd get the Ship back as it was originally, meaning you get it back with the original Weapons, Shields etc. if you don't insure Upgrades specifically.

Havrek

Space Marshal
Sep 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Havrek
Even though CIG assures us that insurance isn't going to be a hassle, I can't bring myself to buying a ship without LTI. My paranoid self seems to think that they implemented insurance to act as a UEC sink in order to restrict the size of individuals fleets. Why the heck else would they implement insurance? It's not like paying insurance is a fun gameplay mechanic......am I missing something?

JackAvalon

Space Marshal
Nov 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Jack_Avalon
All my ships have LTI and any ships that I purchase in the future will have LTI or I won't buy it. Why, you might ask? Well, it's very simple. I have no idea how many ships, be they large or small, it will take to wipe out a Bengals bridge by crashing into it. Also, I crash on landing about 45% of the time...

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Only my started Aurora MR is not LTI, the rest of my fighter fleet is LTI.
That's 6 months of contiguous, real-world gameplay time. Not 6 months in-game. If you break it down and assume that someone plays 2 hours a day, and that an average month has 30 days, that 6 months comes out to roughly 5.9 years of insurance time.
Or does CGI count insurance time like they do with rented weapons / equipment / ships? One minute in AC start one day of the 7 days rented.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
My paranoid self seems to think that they implemented insurance to act as a UEC sink in order to restrict the size of individuals fleets. Why the heck else would they implement insurance? It's not like paying insurance is a fun gameplay mechanic......am I missing something?
I'm right there with you. Right now, they are saying that insurance will be a minimal part of the game. They are and have been saying that to avoid the P2W complaints. The thing is, the game hasn't even come close to the balancing phase of development. All sorts of issues can come up when it comes to balancing.

The severity of money sinks in MMOs are entirely dictated by how profitable gameplay is. This can usually be broken down to an hourly wage just like real money and it is held in either surplus or demand by the "gold farmer" companies. It's not always the same economy, but if you have been playing MMO's for any length of time, it shows up in almost every single one. If there is too much profit in-game, it drives down the game's currency to the point that people would rather spend $5 on gold farmers than 2 days in the game earning it. This devalues anything in the cash shop and slows the income for the game.

The only weapon in the developer's arsenal, is a money sink. This is usually things like ammo, fuel, repairs, vanity items, and in this case insurance. Ammo goes on a sliding scale based on use. It can also be almost completely avoided with energy weapons. Fuel can be created by players so if the currency drops, it can run on a side economy that they can't control. Repairs can be done by players. Vanity items are currently minimal and not a focus. So that leaves the one thing on that list that is unavoidable, insurance.

So even though they say insurance is not going to be a big thing, it may not stay that way. There are still far too many things to be decided before that statement can be turned into fact. Don't get me wrong, there is a strong chance that it will never be that big of a savings. However, there is also a strong chance that it could end up being a huge deal over the life of this game. That is exactly how long my insurance will last. It will not require a single additional payment but will be active a year from now or ten years from now.

When it all comes down to it though, I am getting LTI because I can. Right now its only value is a pleasant side effect to supporting the game. It could be worth nothing or it could be worth alot more than anyone thinks right now. Ultimately though, I would be buying ships one way or the other so why not squeeze them into LTI?

Reyalp CB4

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2015
RSI Handle
reyalp
I got one Ship that has LTI and thats the P-72 Archimedes. The way i see it it was cheap and practical. It i always have something to race with in theory, It promotes in game socialization through the need for others to move me around a system, and I always have a small ship to play with even if it cant jump or quantum travel. Im Never Really stuck anywhere. I can at least explore planets and take part in some combat with out fear of getting stranded.

DragonHeart

Space Marshal
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
ATempest
I like LTI, because I save on insurance payment, especially for my large ships Idris-P and 890Jump (possibly the Corvette as well).
The peace of mind is great.

Cherokeedog

Admiral
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
Cherokeedog
One type of insurance.
My paranoid self seems to think that they implemented insurance to act as a UEC sink in order to restrict the size of individuals fleets.
I'd say you guys are smellin' something right here. In my view, this insurance mechanic might just be implemented as a way to focus our gameplay and make us act in a more realistic manner. Havin' to pile up dough in UEE's pockets for every picture we mount on our walls, may make us think twice when we fell like crashin' our Carracks and Idirises in the middle of the city one day, just to check the body count after (that may not apply for the Auroras). Also, even if we have large fleets, we may end up not wanting to pay for insurance for expensive ships that we're not using at that time, and this may prevent us from just takin' them for a ride and havin' a bunch of bumpin' happy Auroras just ram us for fun.

Considering all the above, "LTI don't matter" may be translated as "hull insurance is goin' to be dirt cheap, yet we'll find other ways for insurance companies to rob you blind".

Now, of course, if our ships will end up bein' able to be looted straight from our hangars...I'd say insurance may prove to be a bitch.

Anyway, to be perfectly honest, I did take care to have LTI for the ships I feel I'm goin' to be using in the PU mostly, so...maybe I do care a bit.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
Only my started Aurora MR is not LTI, the rest of my fighter fleet is LTI.

Or does CGI count insurance time like they do with rented weapons / equipment / ships? One minute in AC start one day of the 7 days rented.
That we're not sure of that yet, but I doubt it.

Reyalp CB4

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2015
RSI Handle
reyalp
Id imagine what ever system ends up in place would be similar to how its described in the packages. Like You but months of coverage. Maybe cheaper to by lots of time at once more expensive to by less time but like if you are running short on cash you'd be able to buy a month of coverage which would buy you enough time to do enough missions to buy more long time coverage.

Worse comes to worse if the game works the way its supposed to you should also in theory just be able to go out on foot do some time as crew or what ever or do on planet missions to make the extra credits to insure what you need.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
Right now I don't have anything with LTI. I am honestly a little lost as to how to actually get LTI outside of concept sales and I'm new enough to the game that I haven't seen one yet, so as far as I know they are magical unicorns. That being said, I have a Gladius that I love zipping around in but being a fighter, it is going to get blown up, this is inevitable. So how would I go about getting LTI without going the gray route?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Right now I don't have anything with LTI. I am honestly a little lost as to how to actually get LTI outside of concept sales and I'm new enough to the game that I haven't seen one yet, so as far as I know they are magical unicorns. That being said, I have a Gladius that I love zipping around in but being a fighter, it is going to get blown up, this is inevitable. So how would I go about getting LTI without going the gray route?
You buy a cheap LTI ship like the argo on concept sale. When the Gladius is on sale again, then you can buy a CCU Argo to Gladius. LTI Gladius accomplished. First melt you non-LTI Gladius to get store credits and buy the LTI token and CCU with store credits.
I don't know when the next cheap LTI "token" concept sale will be, so you also can choose to buy the LTI token grey and wait for the Gladius CCU.
Hey Guys,

I'm back with more ships sales! If I don't have something you want listed I'll happily look around the grey market for you, so just PM me.

All prices include PP fees and will be invoiced.

• Original Concept Ships
Argo MPUV Cargo LTI $39
Drake Dragonfly Black or Yellowjacket LTI $40
Argo MPUV Personnel LTI $45
Argo MPUV Combo Pack (Cargo + Personnel) LTI $78
MISC Hull A LTI $75
Drake Buccaneer LTI $122
Anvil Terrapin LTI $205
Drake Caterpillar LTI $250

• Ship Upgrades (CCU)
Aurora LN to MPUV Personnel $9
Mustang Alpha to Dragonfly $9
Cutlass Black to Buccaneer $16
Starfarer Gemini to Carrack $16
Andromeda to Warden $32
Super Hornet to Terrapin $36
Taurus to Terrapin $52
Aquila to Carrack $85

All prices are in USD. PM me if you are interested. My timezone is GMT-8.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
You buy a cheap LTI ship like the argo on concept sale. When the Gladius is on sale again, then you can buy a CCU Argo to Gladius. LTI Gladius accomplished. First melt you non-LTI Gladius to get store credits and buy the LTI token and CCU with store credits.
That seems nice and easy. Thanks for the info

Forgot your password?