Hi all, Why are most of the members not on Discord?

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
@Superkazy As others have pointed out 5~10% activity rate is actually pretty crazy for any Star Citizen community right now. Also for reference we do have the most active Discord server ranked by voice :p

Also I think we atm have the most active non-official Star Citizen forums.

vindslav

Vice Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
vindslav
It is not all that impressive though. Lets be honest, the bulk of our activity takes place in the AFK channel, or by those too lazy to move there.
There is only a dozen or so names that you will see in the text chats, and less that talk verbally.

Still, it beats the bitching that goes on in the PTU Discord. The majority of that lot have yet to realise that the game is not out yet, that and carebear complaints about PvP.

By the way, a fun fact, the term "carebear" is bannable term on all official Star Citizen communication hubs. Just a heads up.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Does that mean some of us people who do chat on forums are possibly @Montoya's alternate personalities from his DID (Disociative Identity Disorder (the new name for multiple personality disorder, which even the name has had multiple...well, names)). We've all seen Banetoya, a.k.a. Betty. If so does that mean you and/or I could also be his "other" personalities?
No, we're fine thank you.

Superkazy

Captain
Nov 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Abes Oddysee
Haha some of you misunderstood me ...

All I wanted was just pop in once in a while and make yourself known.

I know most of us have IRL stuff to do, but popping in once a month or so for a 5min chat is still better than nothing and probably all could give 5 mins in a month.

Just want to chat to some fellow Testies and get to know you guys( Like I said before full launch).

I know that we have one of the most active Orgs but having "THE" most active Org would be spectacular.

I would appreciate it if you make an effort and come and say hallo atleast once in a blue moon or crack a quick joke in gen chat and dissapear into the shadows again.

After all broskies we are a Family :D

Regards
Kazy

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Haha some of you misunderstood me ...

All I wanted was just pop in once in a while and make yourself known.

I know most of us have IRL stuff to do, but popping in once a month or so for a 5min chat is still better than nothing and probably all could give 5 mins in a month.

Just want to chat to some fellow Testies and get to know you guys( Like I said before full launch).

I know that we have one of the most active Orgs but having "THE" most active Org would be spectacular.

I would appreciate it if you make an effort and come and say hallo atleast once in a blue moon or crack a quick joke in gen chat and dissapear into the shadows again.

After all broskies we are a Family :D

Regards
Kazy
We do have the most active org if I recall.

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
you are all carebears

Reactions: Blind Owl

WaldoWohin

Admiral
Sep 15, 2015
RSI Handle
WaldoWohin
Hi there,

Just want to bring up a topic here that would just be beneficial and fun all round.

Want to find out why only the same handful of people on discord yet we are so much bigger.

I would like to find out who my fellow testies are and get to know you guys before we hit the full live version of Star citizen.

So don't be shy guys join in on discord it will be great to hear your voices and listen what your life stories are.

If you can't join in on discord let me know with a reply ,maybe we can help you out :)

Regards
Kazy

I haven't joind the Discord server yet as I am currently not playing the ALPHA star citizen, I have data caps and the contstant updates have pushed me over my cap a few times. I can't afford that so I don't bother with Discord yet.

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG
Hi there,

Just want to bring up a topic here that would just be beneficial and fun all round.

Want to find out why only the same handful of people on discord yet we are so much bigger.

I would like to find out who my fellow testies are and get to know you guys before we hit the full live version of Star citizen.

So don't be shy guys join in on discord it will be great to hear your voices and listen what your life stories are.

If you can't join in on discord let me know with a reply ,maybe we can help you out :)

Regards
Kazy
TESTies can't read Gen chat

Bishop

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Macr0
Reason1: Have to learn and work a lot, chatting is rather counterproductive for that.

Reason2: When I find time to game at the moment than I usually do GW2, LOL or CS GO and am rather focused on the game (even though I am often bad at it / particularly when drunk), so Hanging out in a chat that is about a different topic is again counterproductive.

Want to boost Discord ?
1.) Announce a Group Tournament (for something within Star Citizen were you already could do group vs group).
2.) Let people sign up on a Threat and afterwards randomly assigned them into groups (in order to promote getting to know new folks).
3.) Make it a part of a Month end give away, for the Winner Team.
For those games/matches people would then get into Discord.
I guess once Star-Marine is out that will be the thing to do.

Reactions: shadowjim12

Yex

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Yex
I don't come on while I'm playing CSGO as I'm too busy either telling Russians to cyka blyat or just screaming down my open mic for 10minutes.

By screaming I mean screaming.
Sometimes you don't need words to annoy people.

Reactions: Soven Taliesyn

shadowjim12

Admiral
Oct 8, 2015
RSI Handle
MarNei
I can handle and chill on a chat with up to 3-4 people. When there are 10+ and all speak not my native language, it becomes a little tricky. It requires extreem effort from my part to prevent myself from repeatedly asking "What did you said? Could you repeat that once more". Text where I can take my time to read/answer I can handle, but I suck at the listening part :P

I am tempted to try though. I will when I finally download 2.1

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
You don't know me... you don't /Know/ me
stuff
Keep in mind, we aren't just a star citizen thing anymore. We're a multi game community, and most of us in discord are bored of SC. I've been pledged for years, I've played hundreds of hours of AC, and I'm bored. It's not that I think the game is bad, I love AC and think it's awesome, couldn't be happier with the direction it's going. The problem is that nothing I do matters. There's no territory to hold, no cash to accumulate, and there's nothing I can do to progress and freshen the experience, other than spend more money and buy more ships. The vast majority of people in discord, especially the active ones, are not new players and have pretty much the same outlook towards the game as I do. Star Citizen is the thing that brings us all together, but the fact is we've built real friendships in the process, and enjoy just socializing with each other beyond the scope of a single game. If you're only here for SC, more power to you, but I can't really see people lining up to play SC every day until the PU beta proper releases. Then we can begin our adventure in earnest, without fear of progress wipes.

Also, there is a star citizen specific text channel. It's obviously not as active as gen chat, but it's definitely the second most popular one we have. Gloc bar isn't an "off topic" place per se, G-loc is where we go to discuss things that are not PG-13. We try to keep Gen gen chat a relatively clean place, since many of our members have kids that are in TEST as well. Gen chat is essentially just a public forum, open to discussion about anything and everything, provided it isn't exceptionally lewd or offensive.

Reactions: WarrenPeace

Halvix

Space Marshal
Donor
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Halvix
I spent a whole night at one point trying to figure out why I couldn't talk in Discord voice chat... Tried everything, twice... Finally figured out its my new headsets mic that doesn't work at all and of course I was gone for a month after I got it so missed the chance to return it... and I have no idea what I did with my old headset... so yeah, I do sit in the AFK voice channel a lot and occasionally post to the general chat.. but its hard to do that and play games at the same time. I do plan to replace my broken headset, but just for a mic its not high on my priorities.

Other than Discord I spend a lot of time reading the forums, watching Twitch streamers, occasionally checking our Reddit page, and once in a while getting into SC to see how long I can go without the game crashing or some bug that gets me stuck and I have to restart. And this is all in my free time when not at work or not taking care of my kids. Oh, I occasionally sleep too..

I've played a lot of games, that were actually finished, and the amount of activity we have is astounding considering we're waiting for a game that's barely into its Alpha phase. We've only got pieces of the game at this point and yet we have a lot of active community members patiently waiting it out, testing what there is and sharing what they've done. Lots of planning has already happened, there has been no shortage of time to think about what we're going to do when the game launches, and right now it looks like we still have lots of time to plan our conquests.

You might see a lack of interest because people aren't talking about the game constantly, but you can only beat a dead horse so long. Things do pick up with each big update. 2.0 and 2.1 have been big, finally a small piece of the univers, something other than Arena Commander and Racing. But the newness and lack of in-depth content will quilckly become boring to most and people will once again fade back into the shadows until something new happens again. This is true with most alpha/beta games, the closer you get to a complete game the longer it takes people to become bored with it.

Once we hit Beta I'm sure there will be a huge spike in activity and that will only increase until launch. Thats when plans will come together, sub-organizations will be formed, friendships will be discovered. And at launch you'll have an idea where you want to be, and who you want to be going there with. In the meantime, we hang out, talk about whatevers current, play whatever games popular at the moment and wait... always waiting. Damn you Chris Roberts for creating this this visionary game we all want to be a part of.

black monday

Commander
May 26, 2016
RSI Handle
blackmonday
I have tried to join the Discord but it refuses to add it to the Discord app so I'm not able to join in the fun. The web based version sorta works but won't let post or interact.

Forgot your password?