How old are you guys and gals?

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I'm 35. And I'm wondering if they include pokemon, Sims, and phone games in the statistics for the age and sex of "gamers".

I'm probably being a bit elitist, but some games do not make a gamer imho. At least not in the sense I feel it used to mean.
Oh no I agree, I would bet these stats were including those types of games. And yeah I feel the same, being called a gamer used to mean you played a good deal of games honing a skill or were at least dedicated/very into a game. But now they kind of took that away from us because video games are "cool" now lol

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
I'm 35. And I'm wondering if they include pokemon, Sims, and phone games in the statistics for the age and sex of "gamers".

I'm probably being a bit elitist, but some games do not make a gamer imho. At least not in the sense I feel it used to mean.
They do include those stats. Today a "gamer" is someone who likes to play games.

Yes there is a much wider array of games now than there used to be. But isn't that a good thing? Who cares if the definition of "gamer" has changed?

"Esports gamer" and "Professional gamer" are things that never used to exist, for example. And IMO the world is better off now that they do.

Now you need to specify more precisely what kind of gamer you are. "Hardcore Gamer" is probably more along the lines of the vanilla definition of old.

TL;DR the generic term "gamer" now refers to a significantly larger number and variety of people than it used to. And I say good, that is called progress.

Cyril

Space Marshal
Feb 13, 2016
RSI Handle
Cyril
47. Put together a 386 with a math co-processor, Ad-Lib sound card and a 25MB HDD to play X-Wing.
Last great space Sim I played was Independence War.
I missed out on the 386. First home PC my parents got was when I was in High School. 486 DX2 don't really remember a lot of the specs other than it had a CD-ROM (no speed listed because there was only 1)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I missed out on the 386. First home PC my parents got was when I was in High School. 486 DX2 don't really remember a lot of the specs other than it had a CD-ROM (no speed listed because there was only 1)
We ended up having one of these. It was SO advanced. Man was it cool.

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
OMFG!

First computer was a Commodore VIC-20 with a tape drive, moved up to a Commodore 64, then a 286, 386, 486 and so on.

Now water-cooled F6300, 16GB, 2TB and R7-360/2GB.

You guys make somebody feel old, not me, but somebody.

'Gimp

Soven Taliesyn

Space Marshal
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Soven-Taliesyn
OMFG!

First computer was a Commodore VIC-20 with a tape drive, moved up to a Commodore 64, then a 286, 386, 486 and so on.

'Gimp
I can honestly say that was my first computer too. It was someone's in the family and we ended up with it. I used to play hangman on that thing. My parents sold it in a yard sale thus forever crushing my hopes and dreams. Turns out that we could've made a pretty penny on it, even at the time. I miss that thing though.

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
32 in 3 months. First computer was a Spectrum ZX and first IBM PC I had was using an AMD P8088-2 @8Mhz

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
They do include those stats. Today a "gamer" is someone who likes to play games.

Yes there is a much wider array of games now than there used to be. But isn't that a good thing? Who cares if the definition of "gamer" has changed?

"Esports gamer" and "Professional gamer" are things that never used to exist, for example. And IMO the world is better off now that they do.

Now you need to specify more precisely what kind of gamer you are. "Hardcore Gamer" is probably more along the lines of the vanilla definition of old.

TL;DR the generic term "gamer" now refers to a significantly larger number and variety of people than it used to. And I say good, that is called progress.
I suppose it's a good thing that gaming is more diverse now. Sort of how franchise games made after movies were techically a good thing because it brought money from studios to the gaming industy, even though their games did suck.

My gripe mostly comes from the fact that the word "gamer" and "geek" used to be a lifestyle. It was often ridiculed and ostracized. Now, everyone's "geeky" because they like thick rimmed glasses or watched the Avenger movies or play Facebook games.

It's kinda like how bikers have the term "weekend warrior" for those straight-laced office guys that ride their bikes on the weekend and actually know nothing about maintaining it.

We gamers and geeks have no separate word for those that claim to be us. And it's a bit irritating.

I earned my Geekness and Gamer title the hard way...by being socially inept, 36 hour sessions, and no dates during high school!

But I'll end my rant here. I am truly glad that so many people are interested in gaming now. And it's probably good that the majority aren't as obsessed with it as I used to be.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
My first was a 486 as well. I had no clue about what the stats did, but I know it was a 100mhz with 4mb of ram.

My favorite games were Warcraft 1& 2, Seawolf (?), and an Interplay anniversary disk that had a bunch of games on it.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
OMFG!

'Gimp
Haha, tape drive? Yeah, you win Gimp. Although my first computer didn't have a hard drive at all. Just floppies flipping'. Think it preceded the 386.
Funny eh, a 386 in the early 90's cost as much as a modern computer does today. The more things change...

Forgot your password?