I suck at combat but want to do better.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I see COMSTAB and G-Safe more like adding weights or an aerofoil to a race car. Without them you may be able to hit higher speeds on straightaway, but they provide more control when cornering.

Nobody should be putting either on a Prius or Semi-trailet (Hornet or Caterpillar), but on a high performance vehicle that extra control can be far more beneficial than a little extra speed.

COMSTAB is a illusion of control, it's a curse on any light weight ship.. and learning to turn with out it is the wining concept.

Comstab - OFF
G-Safe - OFF
FULL Boost and afterburner, This you could never do with comstab or G-safe on...
This is with HOSAS controls ( Dual Joysticks )

Not even this slow lap here would be possible with comstab on and I turn of G-safe when turning...
This is HOTAS ( Throttle and Joystick )

How not to black/red or white out is called throttle control learn how not to over do it, as in a lot of practice, practice, practice...

CHEERS :beers: :beers: :beers:

Last edited:
Reactions: marcsand2

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
It was in 2.5. I think in 2.6 you must set this manual, long time ago. This was one of the first settings which I changed.
No it's default set to turn off G-safe when boosting as I know and that's how I usually use it but I have assigned a button on my MFD to turn G-safe or any of the other functions On or Off as I need it

:beers: :D

Reactions: marcsand2

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
No it's default set to turn off G-safe when boosting as I know and that's how I usually use it but I have assigned a button on my MFD to turn G-safe or any of the other functions On or Off as I need it

:beers: :smile:
I have all the functions on my throttle, which I don't use during fighting, this includes throttle. The only exception is decoupled. When chasing a target or fighting a Warlock, decoupled can come in handy. I prefer to keep up speed during fighting. Target distance can be managed by strafing away. That way you keep distance without losing speed. Don't trust the speed indicator, it doesn't take sidestrafe in account, it only shows your forward speed.
If I want to do a hard tight turn, then I use boost. G-safe is off. By keeping speed up, It causes me to drift, which makes me a harder target to hit. Admitted, you can reverse direction much faster without blacking out by slow down, turn and full speed. This works perfect during racing, but during combat you will be a sitting duck, dead in the water.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I have all the functions on my throttle, which I don't use during fighting, this includes throttle. The only exception is decoupled. When chasing a target or fighting a Warlock, decoupled can come in handy. I prefer to keep up speed during fighting. Target distance can be managed by strafing away. That way you keep distance without losing speed. Don't trust the speed indicator, it doesn't take sidestrafe in account, it only shows your forward speed.
If I want to do a hard tight turn, then I use boost. G-safe is off. By keeping speed up, It causes me to drift, which makes me a harder target to hit. Admitted, you can reverse direction much faster without blacking out by slow down, turn and full speed. This works perfect during racing, but during combat you will be a sitting duck, dead in the water.

Yeah! shore is the way I fly too, it's all about throttle control practice and learn how much is to much and how much is to little and have a over all balance between max and min at the right time or you are as you say a sitting duck right away.
:beers: :D

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
@ marcsand2 and Mich Angel, I am curious how long your boost will work in combat flying as you describe. have you seen differences between various craft, where some you can't fly long before you run out of the go juice, and others you can fly much longer? Looks for example that the Avenger doesn't have much tank space. Making a Warlock chase oyu could be a great strategy--let him kill himself.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I am curious how long your boost will work in combat flying
Very simple answer. Boost fuel will only be used if your maneuver thrusters are used. If you fly full speed straight forward and use boost, no boost fuel will be used, since boost is capped at your max speed but you already are at max speed.
Same works for afterburner. As long as you don't change direction, your speed will be maintained. If you change direction, your speed will drop to max speed without afterburner. If you go to max afterburner speed, decouple and change direction with manoeuvre thrusters, your speed will not drop down?

Reactions: Mich Angel

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Combat flight training has really helped me as a pilot. All of the people there, IcaroSP, marcsand2, Marcel Busse, skullptis, Mich Angel, and Archangel_666 have helped me to improve and have given me individual instruction/advice on how to be better. I may not always be able to do what they suggest right away, but I get the idea. It's not just what you do as an team, what you do as an individual, but what you do as an individual within a team.

They have held individual training, group training, and individual training within a group session by having people go up against each other one-on-one as the instructors look on and provide feedback to both on how to improve. They have also been able to answer questions during training.

I would encourage you to go to combat flight training. Your questions might be ones that we have not asked yet, and could end up helping us all.

We were all beginners to combat at some point. I'm one of the more recent people to join the group, but we have newer people and more experienced people there as well, giving you a good cross section of people to play with/against and it gives you a lot of opportunity to hear advice.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Combat flight training has really helped me as a pilot. All of the people there, IcaroSP, marcsand2, Marcel Busse, skullptis, Mich Angel, and Archangel_666 have helped me to improve and have given me individual instruction/advice on how to be better. I may not always be able to do what they suggest right away, but I get the idea. It's not just what you do as an team, what you do as an individual, but what you do as an individual within a team.

They have held individual training, group training, and individual training within a group session by having people go up against each other one-on-one as the instructors look on and provide feedback to both on how to improve. They have also been able to answer questions during training.

I would encourage you to go to combat flight training. Your questions might be ones that we have not asked yet, and could end up helping us all.

We were all beginners to combat at some point. I'm one of the more recent people to join the group, but we have newer people and more experienced people there as well, giving you a good cross section of people to play with/against and it gives you a lot of opportunity to hear advice.
Thank you :smile: Great to hear you say this and we do try as best we can to make the flight training so we have a lot of fun too... :smile:
I mean we're not in the marines here...

<-- And I am only one as I know of, I am Archangel_666 it's my handle in the game haven't got my name change to same here...
yet.. :smile:
:thinking:....... :beers:
:beers:
....:beers:
...:beers:
........:beers:
..:beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: BURP! ah great, room for more :beers: :beers: :beers: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
@ marcsand2 and Mich Angel, I am curious how long your boost will work in combat flying as you describe. have you seen differences between various craft, where some you can't fly long before you run out of the go juice, and others you can fly much longer? Looks for example that the Avenger doesn't have much tank space. Making a Warlock chase oyu could be a great strategy--let him kill himself.
Well yes I have flown all ships that is flight ready and most of them even in combat/dogfighting, and it is as marcsand2 and I said how fuel is used up is all about throttle control, boost and afterburner fuel replenish it self slowly so used it right and it don't go out at all.
Yes it is a lot different from ship to ship how fast but in general used right and it last and you do not get dry at all.

And as said too, go up to full afterburner in a straight line use almost nothing even with small turn corrections in max afterburner speed it soon refill again if not overdoing use of boost combined with afterburner. That how ever do happen in a dogfight and it's easy to overuse and you go out of boost fuel, it will refill eventually by it self but by the time it have most fights are over.
So to learn how not to do that is something we all are still trying to learn ha ha ha...

Some are better on conserving fuel and some not so much, it is different from time to time for all of us but one thing is sure.
No one get away from using up to much fuel every now and then and the more speed you try to have the more you burn it's a balance act.
You might say less beer more fuel, more beer less fuel :joy:...

:beers:

Last edited:
Forgot your password?