If you pre-order Star Wars Squadrons....

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
That "oh it's just 40 bucks, that's like a nothing to me" attitude is why big publishers can still get away with publishing half baked shitty games...
Do whatever you want with your money, sure, just don't expect any change if you keep preordering shit. (says me the hypocrite who already has at least one game preordered...)

The arrogance in saying it's "just 40" is also insulting like hell good sir @Montoya ! For some, like me, it's a lot! Not everyone has his weekly toilet paper paid for by his own Cult you know! I demand a duel by aurora-crashing!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm going to boil it down to this, if Disney had never done what they did to the Star Wars universe, I would be more than happy to preorder this game. However, my issues with Disney Wars as well as with how EA has treated its customers for a while now, cause me to be hesitant. So I'm going to wait for more information to see if I like the gameplay that it'll eventually show before I make any sort of investment mentally or financially. In the mean time, I'll keep making periodic investments into funding the SC project. I feel this is the most fair way to go about it from my perspective in regards of my own experiences.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The arrogance in saying it's "just 40" is also insulting like hell good sir @Montoya ! For some, like me, it's a lot!
You really do not need to explain it.

There have been times in my life, very recently, with two small kids in expensive daycare, where I did not have $40 to throw around.

To anybody that feels they are "risking" $40 by pre-ordering a game, don't do it! Simple as that. Its not quantum physics and does not need to be explained to any rational adult.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Well I went and looked up the official page.
Watched the game-play footage.
Looked at the Pre-Order price, £34.99 so looks sort of evens with the dolla price, not as bad as if it was £40 but not as good as if it were £32.35.
Decided not to pre-order for the skins as the gameplay trailer said there will be ample customization in the game.
And I'll wait to see if it's a successor or remake of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.
I also looked on GOG and X-Wing vs Tie Fighter is only £8.19.

I did note however in the gameplay ad it says "get the customizations just by playing the game", but then they have a pre-order bonus special skins... which seems to contradict itself?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
You really do not need to explain it.

There have been times in my life, very recently, with two small kids in expensive daycare, where I did not have $40 to throw around.

To anybody that feels they are "risking" $40 by pre-ordering a game, don't do it! Simple as that. Its not quantum physics and does not need to be explained to any rational adult.
You are a reasonable man who I presume knows how to be a responsible adult, so for you 40 is an acceptable risk. I know quiet a few people to whom it isn't, yet they take the "risk" because they don't know it's a risk, because it "just 40". In reality they can't afford to take the risk, and shouldn't, but they don't know it's there, and their friends on the internet keep telling them it's cool, cos it's just 40.
That's why I don't like it when I see arguments like "it's just 40", or "it's your money...".

Imagine you in your recent situation putting down that 40 to pre-order a pair of brand shoes you think will be awesome for your kid, cos the ad says it's gonna be the best ever.
You think you are doing the right thing cos the internet told you so, and the ads are soooo shiny!
Then a month later it turns out you only get half of a pair cos the brand are scumbags. You wait and wait cos they said they will deliver the other half but they won't, and you run out of the returns policy time. You can shout about it all you want, but unless you have the money to take em to court, which you don't, they still got your money along with a million others', for the brand it's a "success" cos the numbers look great, and they will do it again cos the next guy will do the same and pre-order the next (half) pair of shoes regardless.

This will go on until people stop being stupid about it and learn from previous mistakes, which apparently they don't, unless they are directly reminded of it.
It's the same principle with a video game. You think you can afford it, cos it will give you what you want, but it doesn't and they get away with it.
I know it's not a good example cos it's physical goods different, details details..., but I think you understand where I'm coming from.

TLDR.:
Yes, it's your money, if you are a grown ass adult, do whatever you want with it! But I don't have to like it when pre-ordering enables companies like EA to keep pushing shit by doing so. Alhtough I have admitted they are doing better these days.
Edit: Tldr2: honest explanation: I like being part of this group of crazies and I want to enjoy the same things this group enjoys cos I wanna enjoy it with them, and this looks like something I'd like. But I know I can't take that risk even when "it's just 40" bucks so I feel like shit about it.

But we all know that you should spend that 40 bucks on a Star Citizen Starter pack you heretics!

Oh, and I still want that duel, cos I'm jealous of you having a proper VR kit to play this with hahahaha
or you know, you could just send it over for a week lol

Last edited:

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I can't take that risk even when "it's just 40" bucks so I feel like shit about it.
Currency valuations tend to fluctuate around the world.

$40 in the US is the same as going to the movies on a Friday with your girlfriend.

If she wants popcorn and a drink, its $60, just for one movie.

So choosing between going to the movies on Friday, or buying Star Wars Squadrons.... its the same price.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane

$40 in the US is the same as going to the movies on a Friday with your girlfriend.

So choosing between going to the movies on Friday, or buying Star Wars Squadrons.... its the same price.
You have movie theaters that are open to the public? I thought that the damned Chinese import still had them all shut down with most of them either filing bankruptcy or going out of business.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
You have movie theaters that are open to the public? I thought that the damned Chinese import still had them all shut down with most of them either filing bankruptcy or going out of business.
Im talking about the olden days!

But since we cant go spend $60 on a movie and popcorn, we might as well spend it on something else!

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Im talking about the olden days!

But since we cant go spend $60 on a movie and popcorn, we might as well spend it on something else!
Agreed. In the case of an EA game I suggest $40 worth of microwave popcorn would be the best idea! :D

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Ok! I preordered! :like:
When is it coming out? I forgot to look.

EDIT - I went and looked, it's 3 months away. Sounds longer if you say "Third of a year" but strangely a lot faster if you say "12 agile development cycles".

Last edited:

Cool-Hand-Luke

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Cool-Hand-Luke

And maybe you will get lucky, maybe not. Smuggle in a pint of vodka. Add $10

Forgot your password?