Yay or nay?

• Total voters

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
I nominate this book, because I haven't read / listened to it, it's on audible, it has amazing reviews, it's got everything that I think would ever interest me in fiction and its at the top of the sci-fi list for best sellers. Also its only 9 and a half hours long so it would be great first book to ease into.

Publisher's Summary
There's a reason We Are Legion, We Are Bob was named Audible's Best Sci-Fi Book of 2016. Unique, hilarious, and utterly addictive, Dennis E. Taylor's debut novel kicked off an Audible-wide obsession among sci-fi diehards and new listeners alike.

Bob Johansson has just sold his software company and is looking forward to a life of leisure. There are places to go, books to read, and movies to watch. So it's a little unfair when he gets himself killed crossing the street.

Bob wakes up a century later to find that corpsicles have been declared to be without rights, and he is now the property of the state. He has been uploaded into computer hardware and is slated to be the controlling AI in an interstellar probe looking for habitable planets. The stakes are high: no less than the first claim to entire worlds. If he declines the honor, he'll be switched off, and they'll try again with someone else. If he accepts, he becomes a prime target. There are at least three other countries trying to get their own probes launched first, and they play dirty.

The safest place for Bob is in space, heading away from Earth at top speed. Or so he thinks. Because the universe is full of nasties, and trespassers make them mad – very mad.

Listener-favorite narrator Ray Porter (14, The Fold) brings the many Bobs into being in all their glory, delivering a performance that listeners have described as "outstanding," "nuanced" and a "dizzying tour de force."

https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/We-Are-Legion-We-Are-Bob-Audiobook/B01L082HJ2?qid=1533071872&sr=sr_1_1&ref=a_search_c3_lProduct_1_1&pf_rd_p=e81b7c27-6880-467a-b5a7-13cef5d729fe&pf_rd_r=WAXX8KNPPKDXE2VPW5JN&

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Also to add, I'm looking up a lot of books you all have posted. You all have great taste :slight_smile:
Share list plz, so I don't have to wade through thread for all the titles.
Or will list be on the voting thread?
I kind of don't want to vote for what I suggested. I want one of these I haven't heard of to win so I have a motivation to give them a go.
TEST Bookworm BEST Boorkwom!
crash-testing-dummies.jpg

(EDIT: Can I suggest Boorkwom Squardon as a name for the book club? New poll!)

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
I nominate this book, because I haven't read / listened to it, it's on audible, it has amazing reviews, it's got everything that I think would ever interest me in fiction and its at the top of the sci-fi list for best sellers. Also its only 9 and a half hours long so it would be great first book to ease into.

Publisher's Summary
There's a reason We Are Legion, We Are Bob was named Audible's Best Sci-Fi Book of 2016. Unique, hilarious, and utterly addictive, Dennis E. Taylor's debut novel kicked off an Audible-wide obsession among sci-fi diehards and new listeners alike.

Bob Johansson has just sold his software company and is looking forward to a life of leisure. There are places to go, books to read, and movies to watch. So it's a little unfair when he gets himself killed crossing the street.

Bob wakes up a century later to find that corpsicles have been declared to be without rights, and he is now the property of the state. He has been uploaded into computer hardware and is slated to be the controlling AI in an interstellar probe looking for habitable planets. The stakes are high: no less than the first claim to entire worlds. If he declines the honor, he'll be switched off, and they'll try again with someone else. If he accepts, he becomes a prime target. There are at least three other countries trying to get their own probes launched first, and they play dirty.

The safest place for Bob is in space, heading away from Earth at top speed. Or so he thinks. Because the universe is full of nasties, and trespassers make them mad – very mad.

Listener-favorite narrator Ray Porter (14, The Fold) brings the many Bobs into being in all their glory, delivering a performance that listeners have described as "outstanding," "nuanced" and a "dizzying tour de force."

https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/We-Are-Legion-We-Are-Bob-Audiobook/B01L082HJ2?qid=1533071872&sr=sr_1_1&ref=a_search_c3_lProduct_1_1&pf_rd_p=e81b7c27-6880-467a-b5a7-13cef5d729fe&pf_rd_r=WAXX8KNPPKDXE2VPW5JN&
I’m “reading” this one now, but just started.

Reactions: hardroc77

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I would nominate the first way of the shaman book, but I just read them. The next book on my list is the "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. It's not futuristic scifi, but it is science fiction. I'm a sucker for a good post apocalypse story and this one was highly recommended. Plus, I don't have to buy it. It's already sitting on my shelf.

View attachment 10251
if you liked one second after, you might consider the Hot Zone. its not sci fi. its the blatant reality of a hot virus, namely Ebola. it truly is the book of nightmares, cause everything in it is true.

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Zone-Terrifying-Story-Origins-ebook/dp/B007DCU4IQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533130678&sr=8-1&keywords=the+hot+zone

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Also to add, I'm looking up a lot of books you all have posted. You all have great taste :slight_smile:
Just in the knick of time!
Share list plz, so I don't have to wade through thread for all the titles.
Or will list be on the voting thread?
I kind of don't want to vote for what I suggested. I want one of these I haven't heard of to win so I have a motivation to give them a go.
TEST Bookworm BEST Boorkwom!
View attachment 10267
(EDIT: Can I suggest Boorkwom Squardon as a name for the book club? New poll!)
List will be posted to be voted upon, 1 vote per person please.
oh no, is it too late? or am I early for the next round?

Ignore my previous shit-posting, here is my all-time favorite sci-fi book, "The Mote in God's Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle...
https://www.amazon.com/Mote-Larry-Niven-Jerry-Pournelle/dp/156865054X/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
TECHNICALLY the nominations should have ended, but i will let you slip this one in.... (name of my sex tape)

NOMINATIONS ARE HEREBY CLOSED FOLKS! VOTING WILL COMMENCE MOMENTARILY!

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Alrighty folks, the current list of nominations are in. Please only 1 vote per person (i am keeping track on a spreadsheet, for science purposes) and please do not change your vote once you submit your choice.

If you all could please just submit your vote with the title of your choice, that would make things easiest for me. Your choices are:

1. Drive (The Expanse, #0.1) - James S.A. Corey
  2. Across Realtime - Vernor Vinge
  3. Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein
  4. The Player of Games (Culture Series #2) - Iain M. Banks
  5. Old Man's War (Old Man's War #1) - John Scalzi
  6. Red Rising (Red Rising #1) - Pierce Brown
  7. Dauntless (The Lost Fleet #1) - Jack Campbell
  8. One Second After - William R. Forstchen
  9. Rocket Men - Craig Nelson
  10. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert A. Heinlein
  11. Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
  12. Artemis - Andy Weir
  13. We are Legion - Dennis E. Taylor
  14. The Mote in God's Eye - Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle
Voting will close on Sunday the 5th of August so that we may start our reading together on Monday.
Please feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Forgot your password?