• Total voters

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I would nominate the first way of the shaman book, but I just read them. The next book on my list is the "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. It's not futuristic scifi, but it is science fiction. I'm a sucker for a good post apocalypse story and this one was highly recommended. Plus, I don't have to buy it. It's already sitting on my shelf.

So my nomination would be:

View attachment 10251
good choice!

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Alright Ill compile the suggestions here today and compile a small poll so we can decide on a book. I probably create a thread or discord channel and tag you guys in it.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

I lied when I said I couldn't read longform stuff
Hell yea. I absolutely loved this book back when it came out. There are a ton of books like it now. When it was a new book though, it was a brand new world. When this book came out, science fiction was wildly different. It was all about space ships, robots, fantastic new worlds, etc. You know, Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein stuff. Don't misunderstand. I grew up on traditional scifi. I love the stuff. It's just that back then, the future looked wildly different.

Back then, the internet wasn't a thing. It only technically (and situationally) existed. Most of us nerds were still reeling over the fact that we no longer had to use a dos prompt (though we still did on a regular basis to get things done faster). The colors and resolution on our VGA monitors were so damn crispy and bright. It looked amazing as we ran around killing nazis in the groundbreaking, genre defining game that was Wolfenstein 3D.

Then came the world of Snow Crash. It hooked me in and kept me glued to the pages. It pointed to a world that I hadn't imagined before. That was a big thing. I used to read alot back then. To say it is a good book now is an understatement of what it was back then. Back then, it was nothing short of amazing.

Outstanding choice maynard. I would absolutely read it again. I wonder if they have it on audible...

Reactions: hardroc77

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I also enjoyed neal stephenson's Reamde...while not strictly sci-fi the main character is the creator of an extremely popular MMORPG that figures heavily into the plot

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
i mentioned it earlier, not sure if it was added, heinlein book "the moon is a harsh mistress"
added just in time!
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

I lied when I said I couldn't read longform stuff
Oooooo, that one has been on my "to read" list, added!
“The first rule about book club is...”
-Chuck Palahniuk

I’m game. I’ve been known to read a tale or two.
do you have a book nomination you would like to suggest for our first read?

Forgot your password?