Is Kingdom Come Deliverance racist?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Same here with the cat lol. We solved it by putting out a bucket full of water, and fully closing the lid on the toilet made him choose the bucket. Btw, those slow-closing loo lids from IKEA are just brilliant.

Just to get back to the original subject of whitewashing:
View attachment 9237
Im playing the game now, and it appears that the Hungarians were assholes that went around destroying everything!

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
Im playing the game now, and it appears that the Hungarians were assholes that went around destroying everything!
That sounds perfectly accurate!
Although in my history book it's described as glorious conquering hehehe :smile:
End game spoiler, click at your own risk:
It was actually the Cumans who did the destroying, raping and pillaging in KCD. The invading Hungarian lord, Sigismund, wanted to establish dominance over Bohemia because his brother was a lazy idiot (and also because more power is always nice). He didn't have the support of the other Hungarian lords to interfere, so he had to do it by himself. Because he lacked the necessary funds to raise an army, he recruited the Cuman mercenaries, who accepted half the wage, and the other half they made up in pillaging rights. That's also why he first attacked Skalitz, because Skalitz was the biggest silver mine in the area, and silver = moneyz.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
They might have learned something from fighting the Mongols, a century or two earlier...

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
it appears that the Hungarians were assholes
I can't argue this statement
That sounds perfectly accurate!
Well I've never read anything so racist in all my life!

Hang about didn't the journalist call them racist because of black people, not Hungarians?

Am I allowed to call Hungarians "Huns"? Is that okay or is it offensive somewhere? I don't know and don't want to cause any offense...

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza

Hang about didn't the journalist call them racist because of black people, not Hungarians?

Am I allowed to call Hungarians "Huns"? Is that okay or is it offensive somewhere? I don't know and don't want to cause any offense...
I'm offended by your post.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
End game spoiler, click at your own risk:
It was actually the Cumans who did the destroying, raping and pillaging in KCD. The invading Hungarian lord, Sigismund, wanted to establish dominance over Bohemia because his brother was a lazy idiot (and also because more power is always nice). He didn't have the support of the other Hungarian lords to interfere, so he had to do it by himself. Because he lacked the necessary funds to raise an army, he recruited the Cuman mercenaries, who accepted half the wage, and the other half they made up in pillaging rights. That's also why he first attacked Skalitz, because Skalitz was the biggest silver mine in the area, and silver = moneyz.
To be clear, though, that's not much of a spoiler, they keep dropping hints in the optional conversations. So much so that you can basically work that out for yourself after talking to enough people.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
To be clear, though, that's not much of a spoiler, they keep dropping hints in the optional conversations. So much so that you can basically work that out for yourself after talking to enough people.
Well, yeah, but during the last quest they all kind of lay the cards on the table and they send you on the first quest of the DLC that hasn't launched yet.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terms_used_for_Germans#Hun_.28pejorative.29

Yeah, in certain cases, calling a Hungarian a Hun is offensive. It's basically calling a person a barbarian-savage-nazi.

Depends if it's use comes from not knowing about it's past derogatory uses, or intentional malice, and if the person addressed knows about it's meaning. Like with every name-calling really.
Btw, you can safely call any young person that, most likely they have no clue what it means, but the older generation and more geeky kids might be pissed of lol Also it's a term I haven't really seen or heard used, I guess it's gone out of fashion since WW2 ended.

Personally, I know you are not trying to attack me by saying that, so I wouldn't be offended. I would laugh and tell you about it's historical meaning and why you might offend someone with that. Just like I did I guess.
Also I don't really care what anyone calls me as long as it doesn't involve my flying, or disputes my beer drinking skills :D

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Everyone's a little bit racist.

That's where I am on the situation. It reminds me of a theory they talked about in the psychology 101 course I took a very long time ago. The idea was that there is no such thing as a perfect, crime free society. If we get to the point where there are no murders, thefts, assaults, etc., we would simply designate a new taboo crime to take it's place. The ultimate premise was that if none of the current crimes were ever committed again, spitting on the sidewalk would become a capital offense. People need taboos and unimaginable crimes.

When this whole thing started, we were a fully segregated nation. We were taught all about it in class growing up. Separate seats, bathrooms, and drinking fountains separated more than one group. Along with that came a generally ingrained sense that a person could be a lesser human. We've come quite a long way.

Now though, it just feels like people are getting really desperate to find it. The problem is, if you look at just about anything in a selective context, you will find something to be offended by. This video game drama is a perfect example. The media is saturated with examples where "rampant racism" occurred. I am supposed to applaud people for uncovering the hidden racist in everyone and in everything. It goes further than that though. If nothing can be found, than I am just supposed to sit in silence for the racism of the past.

The end result is the general sentiment that I can't be proud of my heritage. Everyone else gets to look back over history, sometimes thousands of years, and feel that sense of belonging. They can feel the richness of their culture. They are free to celebrate those generations that have come before. But not me. I am supposed to feel ashamed. I am supposed to feel shame for this privilege I was born with. The only reason I clawed my way out of the trailer park (literally) was because of my shameful skin color.

So when I say I am proud to be an American, I do so with the full knowledge that it makes me a racist. It doesn't make me a racist because I love America, but because I am a successful white male. If it weren't for that one thing, it'd be ok. Since I am though, it obviously infers that I must approve of every evil act done by any group or person in America...ever. Now I am going to go sit quietly in the corner and play video games. Wait, can someone please tell me what games I can play without catching even more racism?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
The end result is the general sentiment that I can't be proud of my heritage. Everyone else gets to look back over history, sometimes thousands of years, and feel that sense of belonging. They can feel the richness of their culture. They are free to celebrate those generations that have come before. But not me. I am supposed to feel ashamed. I am supposed to feel shame for this privilege I was born with. The only reason I clawed my way out of the trailer park (literally) was because of my shameful skin color.

So when I say I am proud to be an American, I do so with the full knowledge that it makes me a racist. It doesn't make me a racist because I love America, but because I am a successful white male. If it weren't for that one thing, it'd be ok. Since I am though, it obviously infers that I must approve of every evil act done by any group or person in America...ever. Now I am going to go sit quietly in the corner and play video games. Wait, can someone please tell me what games I can play without catching even more racism?
Well-fucking-said my friend.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terms_used_for_Germans#Hun_.28pejorative.29

Yeah, in certain cases, calling a Hungarian a Hun is offensive. It's basically calling a person a barbarian-savage-nazi.

Depends if it's use comes from not knowing about it's past derogatory uses, or intentional malice, and if the person addressed knows about it's meaning. Like with every name-calling really.
Btw, you can safely call any young person that, most likely they have no clue what it means, but the older generation and more geeky kids might be pissed of lol Also it's a term I haven't really seen or heard used, I guess it's gone out of fashion since WW2 ended.

Personally, I know you are not trying to attack me by saying that, so I wouldn't be offended. I would laugh and tell you about it's historical meaning and why you might offend someone with that. Just like I did I guess.
Also I don't really care what anyone calls me as long as it doesn't involve my flying, or disputes my beer drinking skills :smile:
Wow many thanks! I asked the original question in jest but now i'm glad I did :slight_smile:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Actually that was pretty much everyone at the time who were assholes and went around destroying everything.

Turns out I study Medieval history as a hobby. Weird hobby eh? Now it's a hobby, and I'm not an expert historian by any stretch but I have enough knowledge to answer this.

In an era when 99.99% of people never traveled more than 200 miles from their birth place in their lifetime, your chances of a Rus princess becoming queen of France (Anna of Kiev, mother of Phillip I), or finding an English princess in Kiev (Glytha of Wessex, mother of Mstislav the Great) was pretty darn low. Both happened at least once, but still it's not something you'd expect to happen more often. It would be historically inaccurate to depict more than a handful of English in the Varangian Guard too, but there were a few.

Turns out there were people from Africa in Medieval Europe in the 14th and 15th century, that's how cotton (grown in Mali) got there for one. I think there were something like 5 Catholic saints from the period who were from Ethiopia, and we know of some number of Spanish knights from southern Morocco throughout the Gothic period. There are also depictions of 3 known African/English knights in 14th century medieval paintings produced in Essex, and census data shows there was a handful of people of African descent in virtually every large European city throughout the period.

But your chances of finding one in any particular area would have been pretty low to non-existent. It would likely not be historically accurate to depict more than one, even if that was anything like an average, which it wasn't.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I haven't played the game yet, going to download on the weekend. But the armor depicted in the game's trailer is pretty damned accurate for a game. They even accurately depicted braies and pants, which I've never seen properly depicted in a game or movie before.

The only criticism I have at the moment is the game was built using Cryengine, and Crytek is currently on my shit list. It looks like great artwork though.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
Actually that was pretty much everyone at the time who were assholes and went around destroying everything.

Turns out I study Medieval history as a hobby. Weird hobby eh? Now it's a hobby, and I'm not an expert historian by any stretch but I have enough knowledge to answer this.

In an era when 99.99% of people never traveled more than 200 miles from their birth place in their lifetime, your chances of a Rus princess becoming queen of France (Anna of Kiev, mother of Phillip I), or finding an English princess in Kiev (Glytha of Wessex, mother of Mstislav the Great) was pretty darn low. Both happened at least once, but still it's not something you'd expect to happen more often. It would be historically inaccurate to depict more than a handful of English in the Varangian Guard too, but there were a few.

Turns out there were people from Africa in Medieval Europe in the 14th and 15th century, that's how cotton (grown in Mali) got there for one. I think there were something like 5 Catholic saints from the period who were from Ethiopia, and we know of some number of Spanish knights from southern Morocco throughout the Gothic period. There are also depictions of 3 known African/English knights in 14th century medieval paintings produced in Essex, and census data shows there was a handful of people of African descent in virtually every large European city throughout the period.

But your chances of finding one in any particular area would have been pretty low to non-existent. It would likely not be historically accurate to depict more than one, even if that was anything like an average, which it wasn't.
Eat it, Patrick Klepek of Vice!

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
I haven't played the game yet, going to download on the weekend. But the armor depicted in the game's trailer is pretty damned accurate for a game. They even accurately depicted braies and pants, which I've never seen properly depicted in a game or movie before.

The only criticism I have at the moment is the game was built using Cryengine, and Crytek is currently on my shit list. It looks like great artwork though.
The game is fun, don't get me wrong, but it's so buggy you're either going to cry or laugh your ass off.
Important note: get the mod for saving (because quests WILL bug out and you'll lose tons of progress). All other mods are helpful, but not crucial.

Forgot your password?