It would be a lot of hard work...

CLazimi

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Clazimi
...for @SeungRyul but I think It would be worth it...

Is there any way for forum members to set their written language in their preferences (i.e. french), and then have the forum translate posts from whatever language they are in to the readers set language (i.e. english.).

This would really open up communication between Testies of all different countries... I know translate would not be perfect but it would be good enough and could be the start of a world-wide Org without language barriers getting in the way and having to segregate everyone into their own particular language groups...

...can it be done?
well i am sure my lang its Impossible because u must desing all site diffrent because its from right to left and not like this site from left to right

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
well i am sure my lang its Impossible because u must desing all site diffrent because its from right to left and not like this site from left to right
Intriguing, does Google Translate have an option for your language? I am thinking perhaps this should be the benchmark to set our expectations of an early implementation by...

Marcel Busse

Space Marshal
Sep 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Warhawk_29
ok now im serious, do you really think, one person could alone write such a thing for many languages???

are you really sure you think this is possible?

omg omg omg, i need a drink.

life as dev is hard, ppl think we make wonders.

cerated

Captain
Sep 10, 2017
RSI Handle
cerated
I would think this would add a lot of overhead to loading a page? In order for it to work every post would need to be in a certain language based on your account you would always have to post in that language. You couldn't copy something from somewhere else unless of course you could override your post with a post specific language, but thats probably a minor issue.

From a end user perspective when you load a forum, thread or specific post it would need to reference your language and then translate the entire page; which would mean it would need to check all content that you are loading and translate it prior to displaying. This is where the overhead would come in. I am sure it would be possible with enough time and beer.

Oh don't forget about all the places forum content is displayed as well the home page and profile as well. This would all also need to be translated for the perfect solution.

yes lots of beer indeed. Non-alcoholic for me though please.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
ok now im serious, do you really think, one person could alone write such a thing for many languages???

are you really sure you think this is possible?

omg omg omg, i need a drink.

life as dev is hard, ppl think we make wonders.
I know some languages re-order words like french puts a colour after an object whereas in English it is the colour then the object. This is something that would have to be tackled later on or taken account of by the reader. I don't think one person would have to do it alone, they could collaborate with others - who knows, maybe there are companies out there just waiting for a willing busy forum to try this? There are many automated translation services available. Using them to translate text for any single post that requires it may be possible. If there are only two posts in a thread that need translating, only those would be translated... I don't see why we cannot attempt anything - We are Human, we have Ideas, Imagination and Tools.

The only thing that ever stops a Human from at least trying something is other Humans.

let us iterate this, ok?

how do you want to know, if you dont speak that languagage, that it has the correct meaning?
I didn't say it would be perfection immediately. Google Translate invites users who have familiarity with more than one language to provide a more accurate translation which has slowly helped their system become the most reliable and it only becomes more accurate with every passing day. With a Forum platform where people communicate every day, it could help that even more.

Look at one of my earlier posts: If we don't start, it will never work because no one will try.

If we start and it is perhaps only 50% useful, that is 50% more communication you have with persons of other languages and it'll only get better. Right now you have 0%. Why not try? What is there to loose apart from barriers?

Either that, or we all learn Esperanto - Mi ne uzis tradukiston por tajpi ĉi tion en Esperanto. Jes mi faris.

Marcel Busse

Space Marshal
Sep 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Warhawk_29
well ill give you a like for it because you still have dreams.

but what we all could take from it to make a dictionary, i think it is not neccessary to perform this on a whole page, but if someone is missing words, one could find it very fast. im with handy online now and switching back and forth is not so easy if i need to look up a word.

but anyways you learn english through this and only this.

best, if we could put an english-english dictionary online, but i think i await again too much from ppl, they just want again to have it all supereasy.

ill put better my nerd shields up ;)

Forgot your password?