Mech Suits BABY!

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
So Ill try tackle feature creep. When a company gets more staff it can do more things without delaying other things. The money that people have invested into this game has given CIG access to working with another company who can do weather effects and battlesuits for example

This company didn't just start making SC in 2012 and should be done by now they made a new company from the ground up to make a game and have been investing in resources and teams to make it work. Feature creep does not make sense to me because they don't pull resources away from anything its just another thing they would like to add to the game in the future and have the resources to acquire the right people

You cant just throw more people at ship damage states for example and expect it to work and be done faster.

Its all parts of a puzzle coming together with the right people creating the shapes

At the end of the day we want this game but we also want it to actually work so yeah we might need to take one step back to go two steps forward
The sad fact is if you add more features you have to mesh them altogether to make them work. They are struggling big time with this 3.0 is a very very good example of the problems of complexity. ITs a very very buggy mess and this after 6 months of just bug fixing and believe me its months away from being bug free.

People have said all along that things are being developed in tandem and they said the same with 2.6 and 3.0 and we have all seen how that worked haven't we. They have said the same with netcode. You can keep adding but the game just gets further from release.

One of the current nice things about ground combat in this game is you can by the cheapest game package and your just as competitive as the next guy (i.e. down to skill). I very much doubt it will stay that way.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I know it can be hard to watch at times, but "feature creep" is what has taken this game from the ship avatar in 2012 to what we are looking at today. I looked into the game back when the kickstarter was going on. It looked interesting, but not interesting enough to invest. One of the main issues for me was the lack of an avatar. This, of course, has changed and so has my stance on investing.

A great many things have changed since 2012. It has moved this game from a spaceship combat sim to an entire universe. The scope of what they are doing, especially when you compare it to the other mmos on the market, is staggering. The things they are doing now are going to change the way MMOs are created from here on. It truly is the next step in the genre and it couldn't be more needed. People say MMOs are dying, but it's the stale industry that is killing it. Without advancements, any industry will slowly fade away. Star Citizen is that much needed advancement and it wouldn't have been without the "feature creep".

Ever since I saw the hangar module, I became wildly interested. That's because I knew if they were simultaneously going down the route of spaceship and first person shooter, this game had a chance. Not everyone can be a pilot and every pilot needs a crew. If everyone plays this game to fly ships, nobody will be available to fill the other roles on the ship. Then there's the issue of appeal. Not everyone is going to be good at flying. Some people will only want to FPS. That adds millions to the game population.

The big issue is, sci-fi isn't popular with the masses. At least, sci-fi mmos are nowhere near as popular as fantasy right now. If SC is going to break that mold (and become the next 10M player mmo), it needs to appeal to as many players as possible. This means pilots, fps players, and casual farmers/collectors. They already have enough of a game to appeal to the pilots, now they are just filling out the game for the fps players and casuals. It's going to make for a massive population. That population is going to be essential to both the longevity and the continued growth of the game.

Like I said, it can be frustrating to watch some times. It is a good thing though. Try to have a bit of patience and understand that we are probably looking at a 2020 release and probably a $300M game. Which, if you look at it objectively, isn't too bad. So sit back and enjoy the ride for what it is. It is the opportunity to watch the future happen, piece by piece. It's the opportunity to help mold this into what it needs to be.

It's also the opportunity to brag. If you've ever played an MMO before, it's likely you've been on vent/TS/discord and heard someone pull out the Alpha/Beta card. It's bragging rights for the game's lifetime. You will be able to say (hopefully for the next decade) "I've been playing since alpha...".

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
I do not believe anyone will crowd fund a game like this again, nor do I believe players will ever pay thousands again for a game that should cost $60 bucks. I totally agree this game is years away from any actual release after all it has one thing going for it, it looks pretty but the gameplay just about barely exists. (Missions in 3.0 the only real content are almost impossible to complete that's even assuming you can login!). 3.0 might release this year but it shouldn't its a joke.

This year has surprised me though, progress has been dire worse than pretty much anyones expectations i.e. no updates at all, progress looks slower than ever. Ship sales are the only thing that's consistent. They have shrugged off huge wappers on potential release dates (two years running for squadron 42) and the absolutely joke of 3.0 being released last year (because it was being developed in tandem!!!!) and yet they still raise more money. Given this why would they change? You can see why people talk about fanbois.

VFV

Grand Admiral
Nov 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Vfv
Some simple counters I can think of is EMP and rail guns sure this thing is gonna be big and hard to kill but will it even fit in a corridor? and if it does it makes it an easy shot for a guy waiting for him with the rail gun?

If they have a signature could they then be locked onto by ship missiles?

Fighters are not balanced because it alpha haha balance will always come later

But sure there are plenty of ground combat games but is there a ground combat game where one minute i could be attacking a space station in zero g then being dropped into a hot zone on the planet to secure a mining facility before then being picked up again a cool as hell jeep Halo style? I want it ALL haha
Like these ideas. Mech suit obviously is meant for outside use. When it becomes time to clear a building, gotta get out cause it won't fit. Become just as vulnerable as everyone else

VFV

Grand Admiral
Nov 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Vfv
Amen that's why Aerospace superiority is so paramount to a ground operations success. Someone mentioned it above. Defeat their space fleet first, then raid their ground base.
Yup. Gotta win in waves. Beat their air and space. Progress to the ground if you win. Or you won the air battle, but, had heavy loses, then you would be smart to pull out. But skulls for the skull throne, so just die trying anyways:)

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
I think a decent number of backers are backing specifically because Chris "Feature Creep" Roberts is leading the project.
I, for one, want a feature rich game rather than just a modern shooter that merely looks nice and that's it. So yeah, Mech suits, sure. Why not. Combat from space all the way down to surface? That's awesome, who wouldn't want that?

VFV

Grand Admiral
Nov 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Vfv
Yeah but do we really need more feature creep (battle suits). I used fighters as although the game play will be tweaked its the only area of content in the game so you can already see the pay to win nature going on. The very fact there is no other content in the game at all after this long should tell you why I am against anymore feature creep. I have no idea whether more expensive to buy cash ships will have higher fuel, repair and ammo costs but I expect that to be the case. This game is like any other though, if they sold a fighter as crap it would not sell. You may be backing the game but it is also pay to have an advantage.
Yes, battle suits are needed. Case closed. Lol jk jk:p

Forgot your password?