MISC Odyssey looks to be better explorer than Carrack! Buying Org Odyssey!

Daak Gelrin

Grand Admiral
Donor
Feb 17, 2020
RSI Handle
Daak
I picked one up today, CCU'd myself to less that $1K away from Wing Commander... yikes.

The Odyssey looks real good to me!

As far as comparing it to a Carrack, I think each will have it's strengths and weaknesses. I see the Carrack as having more armor, better scanning/mapping ability, and faster/more maneuverable. The drones on the Carrack will add to it's utility as well as the workbench area and any future planned modules. We will have to wait and see for those though.

I think you'd want to take an Odyssey into a system already scanned out with a Carrack. Also the Odyssey seems more like a ship for living in and exploiting relatively known space. Kind of a space-based outpost or space station that you can move from system to system.

I still have my Carrack and want to see how it all turns out.

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
Better than the carrack for general "exploration" of space I would guess, I CCU'd two of my carracks into Odysseys... Odyssey is bigger therefore it is better :drunk:
I would get them both if I had not decided to restrict myself. I don't mean it as judgement. If you a re happy to invest in SC Developement and aquiring a large fleet I won't (and can't) nor do I intend to stop you. It was a really hard decision this time not to increase my pledges. The Odyssey ticks all my triggers. Nevertheless I want to focus on what I think I really need and also I need stuff to aquire in game one day as grind motivator. I'm almost ruefull I bought too much in this regard.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
At some point they will catch on and say, hey starting now you can only upgrade a ship twice. But until that time, abuse it while you can.
I'm fairly sure most of the funding comes from people who only buy one or two minor CCUs each year to gradually build a better ship or two. I doubt they'd want to stop that. In fact, it seems they're ramping it up. This year had way more Warbond CCUs than previous year, not to mention there were more of those 'till the end of the event' Warbond offers.
Besides, if you only buy CCUs because you're getting a good deal, then that means CIG managed to extract funding from where there was going to be none. And that's a good deal for them (and for the game).

I mean, funding from whales is important too, but getting $1k from one person is not quite the same as getting $5 from 10,000 people.

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
I'm fairly sure most of the funding comes from people who only buy one or two minor CCUs each year to gradually build a better ship or two. I doubt they'd want to stop that. In fact, it seems they're ramping it up. This year had way more Warbond CCUs than previous year, not to mention there were more of those 'till the end of the event' Warbond offers.
Besides, if you only buy CCUs because you're getting a good deal, then that means CIG managed to extract funding from where there was going to be none. And that's a good deal for them (and for the game).

I mean, funding from whales is important too, but getting $1k from one person is not quite the same as getting $5 from 10,000 people.
However, atm I think it's the whales fundig the game to quite a considerable amount they cannot effort to ignore at this point. That will hopefully change once SQ42 gets out but not before.

White Lando

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
How could I NOT buy the Odyssey?

I am done though, I mean it, no more ships! I told myself only a freelancer and Crucible a couple years ago...

View attachment 21871
Yeah, that was a no-brainer. Odyssey fits perfectly into your fleet.

My only concern now would be what if you can't repair a ship? What if salvage is the only option?

Now might be the best time to pick up a vulture. It will probably jump to at least 155 (to match the prospector). Right now it can be had for 110 LTI if you do a CCU chain for the Warbond SPARTAN and RAFT.

Or... (Just hear me out) you could continue up the chain with the RAZOR, Ares and Redeemer to get a Reclaimer for a total of 280...

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar

That is exactly my feeling also.

People feel more satisfied if they can maximise what they have for 1k$, instead of just getting 1-2 big ships.
If you do it right, you can have a lot of high end ships with just 1k$ (ie you can get with CCU from 2020-21 BMM + Polaris + Carrack + Liberator + a few smaller ships like fighters and miners).

In the end if they can afford to spend 1k$ only, the feeling of reward is stronger thanks to the CCU game.

However, atm I think it's the whales fundig the game to quite a considerable amount they cannot effort to ignore at this point. That will hopefully change once SQ42 gets out but not before.
Even a whale want to maximise what he gets for what he spend :)

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Yeah, that was a no-brainer. Odyssey fits perfectly into your fleet.

My only concern now would be what if you can't repair a ship? What if salvage is the only option?

Now might be the best time to pick up a vulture. It will probably jump to at least 155 (to match the prospector). Right now it can be had for 110 LTI if you do a CCU chain for the Warbond SPARTAN and RAFT.

Or... (Just hear me out) you could continue up the chain with the RAZOR, Ares and Redeemer to get a Reclaimer for a total of 280...
The CCU you HAVE TO pick right now is the Vulcan really.

Vulture is only interesting if you missed getting Taurus before.

Vulcan will be 230 (99% my bet)

That means it will adjust in price just before Andromeda which is now 240 and always available. Opens the road for a lot of optimisation if you have old CCUs from that price Range (Redeemer at 250, MSR at 235 and so on).

Also a Vulcan at 230 makes it possible to get Ares Inferno/Ion or 400i back at 220 again with store credit instead of 250 (when Vulcan will be flight ready).

Vulcan is THE CCU I am missing to complete all my ships now :)

Another interesting CCU would also be the Apollo in the 200'ish price range. Apollo will probably ends at 285$ (99% my bet). Right before the old Caterpillar at 295.

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
The CCU you HAVE TO pick right now is the Vulcan really.

Vulture is only interesting if you missed getting Taurus before.

Vulcan will be 230 (99% my bet)

That means it will adjust in price just before Andromeda which is now 240 and always available. Opens the road for a lot of optimisation if you have old CCUs from that price Range (Redeemer at 250, MSR at 235 and so on).

Also a Vulcan at 230 makes it possible to get Ares Inferno/Ion or 400i back at 220 again with store credit instead of 250 (when Vulcan will be flight ready).

Vulcan is THE CCU I am missing to complete all my ships now :)

Another interesting CCU would also be the Apollo in the 200'ish price range. Apollo will probably ends at 285$ (99% my bet). Right before the old Caterpillar at 295.
I regret a little I can't downgrade to an ARES right now. I got unhappy with the MSR. The interior is too much of a dungeonlevel maze for my taste. I have a Corsair and a Herald in my Account so I don't loose gameloops. If I melt my MPUV I'll have 47,50 Storecredits. I could get a warbond upgrade MSR to Redeemer for 15$+VAT (which will still keep me below being grantet a golden sniper rifle which I planned never to get by a tiny amount) then I could get a CCU to the Endeavour for Storecredit and thus have a second Endeavor to make use of all the masterset modules when we arrive in the year 2030.

What to do with the remaining 22,50 Storecredit though? The current 12,50 are driving me nuts.

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy

Right now not many are doing this excessively. In a few years when 80% of their customers are only hunting cheap CCU's, they will ask themselves; Hey most of our customers are paying the price of a Super Hornet for an Endeavor which is suppose to be a $800 Capital Ship.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Right now not many are doing this excessively. In a few years when 80% of their customers are only hunting cheap CCU's, they will ask themselves; Hey most of our customers are paying the price of a Super Hornet for an Endeavor which is suppose to be a $800 Capital Ship.
That's the entire point of the CCU game ...

It provides an addictive sense of "savings" while enticing you to increase the pool of money you've pledged. A false sense of "value" that makes collector personalities go wild.

You'll never stop seeing and wanting the newest shiny ship. That's why they release them for every price range.

People will always buy the new new. 80% isn't a realistic number, imho. After 9 years, it's not even close to that number.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
It provides an addictive sense of "savings" while enticing you to increase the pool of money you've pledged. A false sense of "value" that makes collector personalities go wild.

You'll never stop seeing and wanting the newest shiny ship. That's why they release them for every price range.
/me not listen /me not listen 🤪

Forgot your password?