MISC Odyssey looks to be better explorer than Carrack! Buying Org Odyssey!

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I have been weighing my options on the Odyssey, I have decided to keep my Carrack and upgrade my 400i explorer to the Odyssey. I see the extra tank for quantum on the Carrack and the extra large computer, plus the fact that the Carrack is capable of plotting jump points makes it a keeper. with the Carracks repair bay it potentially has the tools to take care of itself more in the long haul. My best hope is to make both the Carrack and Odyssey as a bundle to explore the verse together as a small fleet if I can get a long haul crew together for it to man both. together they make a complete exploration package with the Carracks cargo and scanners with repair bay and plotting ability combined with the Odyssey's mining, larger hangar and refinery and tractor beam.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I have been weighing my options on the Odyssey, I have decided to keep my Carrack and upgrade my 400i explorer to the Odyssey. I see the extra tank for quantum on the Carrack and the extra large computer, plus the fact that the Carrack is capable of plotting jump points makes it a keeper. with the Carracks repair bay it potentially has the tools to take care of itself more in the long haul. My best hope is to make both the Carrack and Odyssey as a bundle to explore the verse together as a small fleet if I can get a long haul crew together for it to man both. together they make a complete exploration package with the Carracks cargo and scanners with repair bay and plotting ability combined with the Odyssey's mining, larger hangar and refinery and tractor beam.
I also went with both. Because reasons.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I upgraded the same way. 400i is also now an Odyssey and sits along side my Carrack. Rounds out my exploration fleet.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
...I have decided to keep my Carrack and upgrade my 400i explorer to the Odyssey. I see the extra tank for quantum on the Carrack and the extra large computer, plus the fact that the Carrack is capable of plotting jump points makes it a keeper. with the Carracks repair bay it potentially has the tools to take care of itself more in the long haul...
I'm keeping the Carrack for those reasons and one more: Jump point size.

It's unclear whether the Odyssey fits in small and medium jump points, which seem likely to be used to give smaller ships their edge in exploration. Hopefully Carracks fit in a medium?

Last edited:

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
Haha, too late, my lucky wallet! Carrack warbond deal's gone. I have to bridge the gap between the Redeemer (already owned CCU to Endeavor) and the Carrack(owned CCU to Odyssey). It's no problem. Pretty sure the Endeavor's price will increase before the Odyssey becomes playable while the Carrack seems to be stable yet for sure will stay below the Ody.Edit: Might actually be possible some day just by melting my Arrow ;)

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Haha, too late, my lucky wallet! Carrack warbond deal's gone. I have to bridge the gap between the Redeemer (already owned CCU to Endeavor) and the Carrack(owned CCU to Odyssey). It's no problem. Pretty sure the Endeavor's price will increase before the Odyssey becomes playable while the Carrack seems to be stable yet for sure will stay below the Ody. ;)
Kudos!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Also, what are the advantages of the Carrack?
The volume of space a ship can scan is the product of the scan diameter area times the SCM speed of the ship. The ships are supposed to both have Large scan arrays, so given there are no other differences in scanning, the difference is all in the SCM speed.

I would not be surprised if the Odyyssey has an SCM near half that of the Carrack. So if it scans twice the space in three weeks and returns for more fuel, it really won't matter that the Oddysey does not need to return. In fact, spending time refining quantanium is time off task if you're really an explorer. Also, add drones and I think it is obvious the Carrack is going to be the much more efficient ship.

Forgot your password?