MISC Odyssey looks to be better explorer than Carrack! Buying Org Odyssey!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The volume of space a ship can scan is the product of the scan diameter area times the SCM speed of the ship. The ships are supposed to both have Large scan arrays, so given there are no other differences in scanning, the difference is all in the SCM speed.

I would not be surprised if the Odyyssey has an SCM near half that of the Carrack. So if it scans twice the space in three weeks and returns for more fuel, it really won't matter that the Oddysey does not need to return. In fact, spending time refining quantanium is time off task if you're really an explorer. Also, add drones and I think it is obvious the Carrack is going to be the much more efficient ship.
Looking at the Odyssey hanger and I can only hope the Polaris gets the same one.

As for the Odyssey vs Carrack, I have a feeling that you are mostly right in that the Carrack beyond its wormhole finding ability is going to be more geared towards a military application exploring, fleet spotting where speed and movement are critical while the Odyssey is going to be more geared towards finding abandoned settlements/crash sites/Minable areas where long duration is more important. But this is not to say that both ships still have significant overlap and can both be used for each task.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
The volume of space a ship can scan is the product of the scan diameter area times the SCM speed of the ship. The ships are supposed to both have Large scan arrays, so given there are no other differences in scanning, the difference is all in the SCM speed.

I would not be surprised if the Odyyssey has an SCM near half that of the Carrack. So if it scans twice the space in three weeks and returns for more fuel, it really won't matter that the Oddysey does not need to return. In fact, spending time refining quantanium is time off task if you're really an explorer. Also, add drones and I think it is obvious the Carrack is going to be the much more efficient ship.
I think I concur.

I imagine the Carrack as scanning jump points, take into hostile territory, looking for hidden baddies, etc. The Odyssey is see as being the ship you take when you want to head into the far reaches indefinitely.

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I imagine the Carrack as scanning jump points, take into hostile territory, looking for hidden baddies, etc. The Odyssey is see as being the ship you take when you want to head into the far reaches indefinitely.
This has some very interesting ramifications that extend past the use of either ship. ... and I am going to need a lot more friends!

• Glorious
Reactions: Blind Owl

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The mere fact that it collects the fuel it needs for exploration and does not rely on anybody coming out to fuel you immediately makes this the defacto long term explorer, better than the Carrack!
There is a problem with the chatacterization that it collects the fuel needed.

Both the Odyssey and the Carrack have to stop for fuel.
The difference is that:
  • The Odyssey has to stop roughly twice as often as the Carrack, even without a Carrack fuel module.
  • The Odyssey doesn't have to stop at a station or refueling ship.
What we know is Quantanium is fairly rare.
What we also know that Quantanium is unstable and explosive.
What we don't know is:
  • How much Quantanium can be in the refinery at once?
  • How long the refining process is?
  • How much ore yields one unit of fuel?
It could be that mining and refining Quantanium is best suited for emergency use only. It certainly, between finding a deposit, mining the ore and refining the ore, is going to take time.

Now, aside from fuel, there are other reasons to go with the Odyssey over the Carrack. Equally, there are reasons to go with the Carrack over the Odyssey. I just wouldn't recommend basing the decision on the fuel mining mechanic until we know more.

Last edited:

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
The Ody is more survival gameplay.
The Carrack is more PVP/E gameplay.

Probably the best way to put it from a game perspective as it sits today. Both are long haul explorers but the gameplay mechanics can be entirely different because they do different things well.

They actually work incredibly well together and won't be shocked to see orgs use them in tandem. Use the Ody as the expedition FOB and the Carrack as the scout. For unknown space exploration ... the Carrack will remain king. Because it has the means to fight and find its way out of trouble. The Ody on the other hand will allow you to remain in deep space somewhat indefinitely, which really makes it a great base of deep space operations.

The Endeavor sits in the corner sipping tea, btw. "Am I a joke to you?" For real though, I imagine the Ody + Carrack + Star is going to be a pretty popular squad for deep space exploration when no one wants to have to report back to known space.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?