My 3yr old made an interesting point today

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
He loves sitting on my lap as I drive around in GTA.

We follow the rules of the road, stop at red lights, keep good following distance from cars, its a fun way to learn how to drive and understand how traffic works.

As we are driving around, he recognizes the condo building from the online GTA character. He wanted to stop and look inside the window to see the guy. I had to explain that we can not look inside the building.

This made no sense to him.

If you think about, he is right.

Why can't we look inside a building?

We know the answer, its just the game design. No sense in rendering building interiors from the outside, its just not important, right?

This is the difference with Star Citizen.

Things we older farts just accept as "normal" in game design will not be normal to the next generation of gamers.

It's games like Star Citizen which are pushing the boundaries of game design to the next level.

See that ship there? We can look in the windows and see exactly what is going on inside!

It just makes sense.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Lol! I always try to follow traffic rules in GTA as well when playing with my kids.

It's surprisingly difficult. The AI drivers are really bad and the pedestrians are suicidal.

I never noticed until I actually tried to drive safely.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
He loves sitting on my lap as I drive around in GTA.

We follow the rules of the road, stop at red lights, keep good following distance from cars, its a fun way to learn how to drive and understand how traffic works.

As we are driving around, he recognizes the condo building from the online GTA character. He wanted to stop and look inside the window to see the guy. I had to explain that we can not look inside the building.

This made no sense to him.

If you think about, he is right.

Why can't we look inside a building?

We know the answer, its just the game design. No sense in rendering building interiors from the outside, its just not important, right?

This is the difference with Star Citizen.

Things we older farts just accept as "normal" in game design will not be normal to the next generation of gamers.

It's games like Star Citizen which are pushing the boundaries of game design to the next level.

See that ship there? We can look in the windows and see exactly what is going on inside!

It just makes sense.
Oh yeah, well good luck looking through the windows in SC, they are going to be filthy & grimy do to use --> see below. THANKS CR!
ScreenShot2468.png

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So now when I go afk and let my guy stand in the window other people can see my faraway gaze and be uncomfortable believing I'm watching them. Technology has come a long way indeed.
I used to do this in the PU in 2.5

I'd wait for a suitably large ship to spawn on a landing pad, EVA in front of it and wait for the pilot to get into the ship and just wait for them to get into the cockpit and notice me hanging there in front of their ship inches away from the glass :slight_smile:

You make your own entertainment.

Shazaam ⚡

Commander
Jul 25, 2018
RSI Handle
NikoA
I used to do this in the PU in 2.5

I'd wait for a suitably large ship to spawn on a landing pad, EVA in front of it and wait for the pilot to get into the ship and just wait for them to get into the cockpit and notice me hanging there in front of their ship inches away from the glass :slight_smile:

You make your own entertainment.
That you do. Even better is sneaking on-board someone's ship and just standing behind the pilots chair waiting for them to exit and see you.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
As it happens, if you're playing on pc there is a mod that lets you go inside a bunch of the buildings in GTA V. Not all of them, but i expect all of the ones you can enter in multiplayer are included. Not all of the windows work, though.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
My autistic 8 year old loves driving around in GTA v. He also observed the highway code. He just got into The Crew. Had it on Uplay free and he loves car games so... He's having a blast just driving around.
lol, I was playing Lego City: Undercover, and I had a blast driving the cop car with the siren on and the lights flashing! More fun than I had imagined...

Speedkills

Admiral
Oct 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Speedkills
My son steals taxis in GTA, then asks me to pull up a chair next to him like he’s giving me a ride somewhere. He's polite and asks if I'm in a rush - in which case he speeds. Otherwise he obeys traffic laws and drives normal. When we get to the destination he tells me the fare, so I throw him a couple bucks.

Should it disturb me that he takes the taxis by force, and sometimes leaves the driver face down on the road with two bullets in his back?

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Since the game is becoming less about space and more about planets (or truck stops) I do wonder if planet tech has any chance to make different solo systems diverse. Sure uninhabitable lifeless rocks are sort of easy but the diversity on earth (even now with so many humans killing everything else) is there any chance of it not looking procedural?

Forgot your password?