My Experience with ADI, Atlas Defense Industries.

JayC

Rear Admiral
Oct 24, 2019
RSI Handle
jayc
I honestly did a double-take and had to re-read this section where you attempt to “defend” that you are not actually doxing people. The OP of this thread could not have asked for better validation of his concerns regarding ADI overreaching into personal lives of the members. JayC you “claim” this former ADI staff is a sexual offender, you “claim” you never actually doxed him. But what in the flying f*** is it any business of a gaming community to look into the criminal offenses of their members?

If you really, really tasked a law enforcement officer to dig up dirt on a troublesome staff member by using social profiles you REQUIRED him to hand over. THAT IS DOXING. THAT IS A GROSS MISAPPROPRIATION OF GOVERNMENT RESOURCES. THAT IS UNACCEPATABLE.
And no offense, but are you and Montoya responsible for all the actions members of TEST? Because, when I tell Montoya about a specific member coming over to ADI, spying on ADI, and posting screenshots of private forum posts... Montoya pleads ignorance, and I'm expected to take him at his word. The fact is none of us 'control' our members, they're beings with free will, and do things on their own. When they do things we can't abide, we kick them...

Nobody was tasked, nobody was requested, nobody was encouraged... the OP was talking openly about his situation, and I *assume* the LEO was acting in his official capacity, and for the safety of our members brought his concerns to my attention. And the OP wasn't a 'troublemaker' at the time, he was a valued member of staff, and well liked by a lot of members. Nobody jumped up and down for joy when we kicked him, but we didn't want somebody in his situation in ADI.

At the time, we had minors who were members of ADI, and concerns were voiced from staff members that this person posed a risk to those members. Shortly after this incident, we stopped accepting minors as members, because we were concerned about predators targeting those members within our community.

So, are you saying if a person known to you to be a law enforcement officer WARNED you about person X, and person X confirmed the basic facts given to you by the law enforcement officer, you would ignore the possible risks to your other members and not kick them?

Because, I couldn't in good faith ignore it, and acted in what I believed was the best interest of my members and ADI. I'm happy to stand by my actions publicly, I have nothing to hide, I did nothing wrong.

The thread regarding ADI’s exploiting RSI database was in the past but you brought it up and I have very different memories of the entire incident.

1. ADI coded a database tool that you login using your credentials and it accesses the Vanilla API that the RSI forums relied upon to extract handles (and other private profile information) to send org invites.
  2. Ex-ADI member (yeah even back in 2014 this was the case…) comes to TEST with a data dump of screenshots, the actual org invite program that you install on your computer, and other juicy info.
  3. I investigated those claims and shared my thoughts openly on RSI/Reddit without initially pointing any fingers.
  4. Some mysterious individual starts filing DMCA takedowns to image hosters to take down incriminating screenshots.
  5. CIG acknowledges the exploit and immediately patches it. I don’t recall any sort of exoneration in them patching an exploit.
1. ADI did migrate from using spreadsheets on Google to a custom written database application on Dec. 31st, 2014. The tool never interacted with the RSI forums, never interacted with any API what so ever. All it did was replace a google spreadsheet system we had been using, nothing more. Later in 2015, we did add a feature that would automatically recorded actions taken by the recruiter, so they didn't have to update our records by hand. But, we never interacted with any RSI API, I guess we weren't as smart as you give us credit, our method used manually looking at forum profiles. BTW, our tool would still work today, although we've since retired it.

2. Funny, I helped write the tool, it only existed as a working application for less than 24 hours in 2014. But yes our 'RecruiterTool' was an application you installed on your PC, it did connect to a backend and allowed you to perform recruiting functions. That was the design of the software, and we've never said it didn't exist. What it didn't do, was pull any user data from the RSI website.

3. We saw your posts, and honestly laughed at them, because it gave us way too much credit. We were still in the stone age programming wise at that time.

4. I suspect the person which held the copyright to said program, might have filed DMCA notices, because they didn't want information leaking into the public about said program, because it gave them a huge leg up on recruiting efforts. And screenshots of said program explicitly violated the terms of the software license.

5. We saw that, it didn't impact our recruiting efforts at all, we didn't have to change a single line of code, because we weren't using that API. They contacted us through private channels and confirmed we were doing nothing wrong. I'd share that message with you, but it's my understanding that CIG's new TOS prohibits me from doing so, and I try my best to always color within the lines.

Unlike other organizations who blindly sent mass org invites during that period of time (2014-2015), we wanted to manually vet every invite we sent. I'm not saying we couldn't have completely automated the process, we both know that was possible, and in many ways would have been a lot easier. For sure if we had, leaks would have never happened.

So we threw a LOT of man hours at the problem, every contact our recruiters had with people was done manually, only after reviewing the persons information, their forum posts, etc. The reason we built the 'RecruiterTool' was to enforce our policies better, it had the side benefit of being quicker and easier, and resulted in more recruits joining ADI. There was a clear arms race to increase the size of our organisations, it became clear that server instancing was going to require more members to be a dominating force within SC. Right or wrong, we didn't want to give away such an easy to use method for finding new recruits, but since the SC forums are not used anymore, and everything has moved to Spectrum, I'll be happy to explain exactly how we found your Citizen406 account without using any API.

While every person who joins RSI's website is given a 'citizen ID' number, what most people didn't realize is that everybody who visited the RSI forums while logged in, also received what we named a 'forum ID' number. If you visited your own public forum profile page, where it linked to your posts etc, you would notice in the URL a number, this was what we called your forumID. If you clicked on the url bar in your browser and changed that number from say 179746 to 492434 you'd see the public forum profile for a user called Citizen406, if you increased the number to 492435 you'd see the profile page for butch1111.

I only post this information today, because the old RSI forums were turned off earlier this year.

I'm sure there are screencaps of our new 'AdminTool' floating around by now as well, I just expect anything we do is going to float over to TEST at some point. It's the cost of running an org.

And for the record, a lot of former TEST members turn up at ADI, claiming to have insider information, claiming all sorts of evils going on at TEST... and you know what we do, tell them it's none of our business. They're welcomed to join ADI, but we just don't care about the internal politics of TEST.

To be honest, we have running jokes about TEST, and sending you guys all of our rejects ;) Honestly I'm too busy running ADI to worry about other organizations.

The only reason I'm over here now, is because I want to set the record straight, the OP wasn't kicked because he pushed back on internal policies. I like staff members who push back, it makes our policies better, because we have to continue to defend and refine them. Some of the best folks in ADI, are constantly forcing me to re-think central policies within ADI, and I while annoying at times, I recognize the value that they provide our community.

Last edited:

GrumpyCat

Space Marshal
Dec 17, 2014
RSI Handle
SofiyaPavlovena
Are we still going on about this? I thought we already covered no one cares.

I mean, I kinda care why we went from :

Montoya, I can promise you, ADI hasn't engaged the services of a PI, or anybody else for that matter to look into your personal life, if somebody did that I would kick them out of ADI.
To

Nobody was tasked, nobody was requested, nobody was encouraged... the OP was talking openly about his situation, and I *assume* the LEO was acting in his official capacity, and for the safety of our members brought his concerns to my attention

So, are you saying if a person known to you to be a law enforcement officer WARNED you about person X, and person X confirmed the basic facts given to you by the law enforcement officer, you would ignore the possible risks to your other members and not kick them?
I'm not that bright, but if I were someone who liked puzzles, I'd say there were a few pieces that seem to stick together here

1. Someone accusing a group of investigating their private life
2. A group leader admitting that they have a member who investigate people's private lives
3. That group leader acts on information provided by this person's investigations, even though they said they would kick people like them out of their group

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
All very valid points, but my question is, do we do something about it or move on?

I mean, if we're concerned enough that this is something that should be looked into, let's figure out how to do it properly, or are we just forum theory crafting?

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
All very valid points, but my question is, do we do something about it or move on?

I mean, if we're concerned enough that this is something that should be looked into, let's figure out how to do it properly, or are we just forum theory crafting?
Something is being done about it. Re-read everything he has written, you have yourself a narcissist who cant get control of the situation he created. The language used is fucking manipulative and where i felt skeptical before about any of this, I definitely dont now. I can only imagine what hes willing to do if someone challenges him from inside his org. At the very least, hes pissed off and thats good enough for me. Ex ADI members are getting some validation out of this, that's for sure. Trust me, i get wanting to hold the middle ground here, but this dude is ridiculous and I wouldnt put it past him to have done all this shit, not after years of hearing about it. Its not a coincidence that this isnt the first time someones said he's crossed the line and tried to take action outside of the game.

randomalias

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2019
RSI Handle
random
This is jay claiming to his own org of 6k members that I am a criminal. I will be happy for anyone to look me up but I prefer montoya to do it. That last line about open honesty is what hurts the most. Even here you cannot admit you lied about me. Wow.

[Edit by Montoya: OP had some links in here to screencaps with potential sensitive info, nothing that has not been posted elsewhere. This has moved from fun drama to pretty serious and not fun drama. At this point I would suggest both parties simply take a few days off and let this simmer down.]

Last edited by a moderator:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
spreadsheet
I accidentally invented La hoja de cálculo del diablo recently which would be immensely powerful tool for TWRL however unfortunately whenever I print it out it spontaneously combusts.

• Wut
Reactions: Sraika and Deroth

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
OPSEC Appolyon command level comment incoming regarding a breaking new development.

<This comment is only available to Veritrue© TEST™ Members®.

To become a Veritrue© TEST™ Member® please email a copy of your SSN or other applicable identification, a color 9x14.7" copy of a TEST certified ID card, a color copy of your banking information, and your RSI login information to: [email protected] >

In light of this breaking information, I suggest we escalate all covops agents embedded in <redacted> and proceed with mission codename Empty Tankard. This is a drill, I repeat, IS a drill.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
OPSEC Appolyon command level comment incoming regarding a breaking new development.

<This comment is only available to Veritrue© TEST™ Members®.

To become a Veritrue© TEST™ Member® please email a copy of your SSN or other applicable identification, a color 9x14.7" copy of a TEST certified ID card, a color copy of your banking information, and your RSI login information to: [email protected] >

In light of this breaking information, I suggest we escalate all covops agents embedded in <redacted> and proceed with mission codename Empty Tankard. This is a drill, I repeat, IS a drill.
*buys domain name*

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Lets be completely fair here for a minute.

When somebody gets ejected from TEST for being an ass, they post pretty horrible things about me that might not be accurate.

Ive been accused of:

- Being a psychopath
- Trying to start a cult
- Egomania
- Delusions of grandeur

All of this is true. I not sure what my point was.
If you werent any of these things honestly. I would have to quit, youre just being humble about it :P

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
After reading all this shit im calling bullshit on ADI playing victim at any point. I remember the whole recruiting thing ADI did, you could make a new account and not do anything with it what so ever and get an invite from ADI and there was no feature at the time to look up accounts. There is only one way to do that. ADI vehemently tried to deny any of it. Here he is now trying to say they knew about it and it wasnt, "bad" the story ADI keeps pushing keeps changing. ADI as in the people representing ADI in these situations as we are all aware some people dont choose how their org represents their org. I think it was also disco lando that stated as an org leader you are responsible for your members and you have to do something about them then it tends to be true. If you build a community of toxic people then you are the reason it exists to be so. The org leader sets the standards and everyone follows it or leaves. If over the years ex-ADI members are continously complaining about the same thing. In my personal experience, there is always truth to something that is constant. The one thing that is exhausting about TEST is TEST having to constantly show everyone else is an idiot and we dont give a flying fuck what you think and just want to have fun. While other orgs try to demonize TEST for simply being bigger than your org.

People fear TEST because they got so big doing the things all orgs wish they could do. Not give a single flying fuck and having fun while at the same time having enough organization and commitment to cater to all levels of casual and hardcore.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?