New fallout game trailer! Fallout 76! and Bethesda presentation!

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
man, that is a good point there. I hope it doesnt end up like that, eh?
I know! The irony is, didn't Bethesda just put out that vid about "the death of the single player game has been exaggerated"...

But, the problem is, everybody makes so much money off of the online games...sigh...

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I really need to see wtf that is about!

SHOW US!
Ok, what he said was that, but the way he said it implied that it was in a .... shall we say, "pre-alpha" state. In other words, there was no sense in getting everybody either excited about something that wouldn't be in the final game, or to show people something that the reddit crowd would complain about.

There is a reason why studios don't do open development (or put out road maps & schedules)...as we all know!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
If every other development studio didn't start work on a Star Citizen clone when they saw how successful the crowd-funder was they were ignoring a major market... There is potentially $200 million to be made by just hardcore fans of the genre, combine that with a mainstream studio and publisher and they'd be able to make some solid bank...

...but if they get to market with SC's USP's before SC does, then SC will be called the clone...

Ah, well. open development, 'aint it grand :-/

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
If every other development studio didn't start work on a Star Citizen clone when they saw how successful the crowd-funder was they were ignoring a major market... There is potentially $200 million to be made by just hardcore fans of the genre, combine that with a mainstream studio and publisher and they'd be able to make some solid bank...

...but if they get to market with SC's USP's before SC does, then SC will be called the clone...

Ah, well. open development, 'aint it grand :-/
Yes, I can understand better why studios don't do open development. A competitor could release something before SC that doesn't have anywhere near the vision...or content...but if they beat SC to release, then SC will be the "rip-off"...

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
- No offline
- Playing 'Solo' will still have you seeing other players
- No NPCs, excluding robots
- PvP is still being tweaked to avoid greifing
- Modding will be present in 76 but not at launch
- Private servers will happen
So, the good news from this: Modding will happen (why not at launch? see my cynical comment below) & Private Servers!

The bad news:
1. No NPC's --> my cynical take: there was a shareholder meeting where the exec's bragged about all the money they saved by not hiring artists, animators, & story writers. "We can outsource the content to the players themselves!"

2. Modding not present at launch --> my cynical take: I saw this with Skyrim, they can't do anything that will let PC version kick the ass of the Xbox version, at least during the first month or so. After they have made the max $$$ off the initial sales, then they can let the modders mod the hell out of the game, and make the PC version the best.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
That part sucks.

I thoroughly enjoy playing through with some modded gear, it adds so much more to the game!
Thankfully Bethesda is always good about letting you mod the game. They just won't release the modding tools until after the initial 3 months of sales are over (again, it is to keep the console experience in line with the PC experience).

I see it as the perfect opportunity to wait for it to go on sale, several months after launch. All the bugs should be ironed out, and the modders will have some awesome mods. Yeah, you miss out on some of the "initial release hysteria & fun" but, I usually keep my sanity, in return :D

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
That part sucks.

I thoroughly enjoy playing through with some modded gear, it adds so much more to the game!
Given that the Creation Kit for Fallout 4 wasn't released for a good 3-6 months, and we still had a couple thousand good mods, i'm not overly worried about a lack of mods. It just means the mods are a bit more likely to make your game crash, that's all.

It will be interesting to see how the mods work when it's multiplayer, though. Will we have to make private servers where everyone runs the same set of mods? That seems likely, but will that affect your overall experience negatively? We'll have to wait and see, i guess.

Forgot your password?