Which will you get?

• Total voters

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
LTI is not going away...Let's take a quick look at why.

Big backers (anyone spending more than $100) are quick to point out that the possibility of losing a real money pledge is a serious concern to them. In fact, the more people spend, the less risk they want to take with regards to losing the ship they pledged for.

Whales (people spending $500 to $1000+) certainly fall in the category as well. They backed a game for a TON on money...much more then they would it they had waited to buy it after it goes live. CIG is desperate for those people, as they are the ones that will keep buying ships. If they were to lose these people, because of a lack of something as simple (and supposedly as meaningless) as LTI, it would be extremely difficult to get backers to replace them.

Yes, CIG has had an increase in backers lately. I think there were 1.2-1.4 million backers when I joined a few years ago, and now it is approaching 1.9 million. Yes, that's big, but how many are really spending lots of dosh? Those that are are going to have the same concerns that older whales have...they won't back a game where the pledge they make can be lost easily. CIG is offering a route to LTI via CCU lets these newer people buy older ships they missed the concept sale for, yet still get LTI. Since they will be buying many hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in ships, allowing them to obtain LTI is just good business at this stage of the game as it lets these new backers to buy up lots of older ships. Ships they might decide to buy in-game only if there was no route to LTI

Finally, there are Grand Admirals...people who have dropped the equivalent of a week-long trip to Hawaii for two on the game. To these people, LTI will actually make a difference in the game. They have so many ships that maintaining insurance on all of them would actually hinter their ability to actually play the game and acquire wealth in the game because it would be impossible to maintain that fleet. CIG REALLY REALLY wants to keep these people happy. They don't just buy ships, they buy multiple copies or all the variants of the same ship. Without LTI, these people would start taking a hard look at what they want in their fleet and pare down to what they want, and either sell off they remainder to people who want that ship and can't get, or they will melt and use credit to buy any concept ships that make a difference to their fleet makeup, possibly resulting in another melt. This means the people who spend the most won't be opening their wallets ever again...not a place CIG wants to be.

Honestly, I expect CIG to pop in at the end of Alpha (or maybe Beta) and announce that anyone who backed gets LTI on their ship...but it won't happen until ship sales stop because they want people to keep buying those LTI tokens.
Great point. I concur.

I'm also sad. I could have taken my wife to Hawaii?
*gulp*
Don't think about it Owl, don't think about it...

Miasmic

Commander
Jul 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Miasmic
LTI is not going away...Let's take a quick look at why.

Big backers (anyone spending more than $100) are quick to point out that the possibility of losing a real money pledge is a serious concern to them. In fact, the more people spend, the less risk they want to take with regards to losing the ship they pledged for.

Whales (people spending $500 to $1000+) certainly fall in the category as well. They backed a game for a TON on money...much more then they would it they had waited to buy it after it goes live. CIG is desperate for those people, as they are the ones that will keep buying ships. If they were to lose these people, because of a lack of something as simple (and supposedly as meaningless) as LTI, it would be extremely difficult to get backers to replace them.

Yes, CIG has had an increase in backers lately. I think there were 1.2-1.4 million backers when I joined a few years ago, and now it is approaching 1.9 million. Yes, that's big, but how many are really spending lots of dosh? Those that are are going to have the same concerns that older whales have...they won't back a game where the pledge they make can be lost easily. CIG is offering a route to LTI via CCU lets these newer people buy older ships they missed the concept sale for, yet still get LTI. Since they will be buying many hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in ships, allowing them to obtain LTI is just good business at this stage of the game as it lets these new backers to buy up lots of older ships. Ships they might decide to buy in-game only if there was no route to LTI

Finally, there are Grand Admirals...people who have dropped the equivalent of a week-long trip to Hawaii for two on the game. To these people, LTI will actually make a difference in the game. They have so many ships that maintaining insurance on all of them would actually hinter their ability to actually play the game and acquire wealth in the game because it would be impossible to maintain that fleet. CIG REALLY REALLY wants to keep these people happy. They don't just buy ships, they buy multiple copies or all the variants of the same ship. Without LTI, these people would start taking a hard look at what they want in their fleet and pare down to what they want, and either sell off they remainder to people who want that ship and can't get, or they will melt and use credit to buy any concept ships that make a difference to their fleet makeup, possibly resulting in another melt. This means the people who spend the most won't be opening their wallets ever again...not a place CIG wants to be.

Honestly, I expect CIG to pop in at the end of Alpha (or maybe Beta) and announce that anyone who backed gets LTI on their ship...but it won't happen until ship sales stop because they want people to keep buying those LTI tokens.
I never argued against LTi. My point was that insurance for a $35 ship should not be equivalent to the insurance for a $300 ship. That is it. Its that simple. I did not intend to insinuate that LTI are a bad thing.

Insurance for a Civic is not the same as insurance for a Lambo. Same deal here. That is all that I meant by my post.

I think any ship bought with real cash should come with an LTI.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Well...I concur, good Sir.

:grimacing:

Great point. I concur.

I'm also sad. I could have taken my wife to Hawaii?
*gulp*
Don't think about it Owl, don't think about it...
Me neither, me neither, me neither... *bashesheadagainstnextwall*

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I never argued against LTi. My point was that insurance for a $35 ship should not be equivalent to the insurance for a $300 ship. That is it. Its that simple. I did not intend to insinuate that LTI are a bad thing.

Insurance for a Civic is not the same as insurance for a Lambo. Same deal here. That is all that I meant by my post.

I think any ship bought with real cash should come with an LTI.
Afaik lateron in the game, the remaining insurances - LTI is only valid for the basic hull - will depend on the value of the regarding ship. Hence buying insurances for alllll the nice glitter and gimmicks for a Javelin - at least depending on the masses of thingys you need to buy - will cost much more than, lets say, for a Polaris.

Miasmic

Commander
Jul 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Miasmic
Afaik lateron in the game, the remaining insurances - LTI is only valid for the basic hull - will depend on the value of the regarding ship. Hence buying insurances for alllll the nice glitter and gimmicks for a Javelin - at least depending on the masses of thingys you need to buy - will cost much more than, lets say, for a Polaris.
I don't know what you are contesting in my post. Obviously, I have struck a chord regarding LTI's lol. Again, in my opinion, any ship bought with real money should have an LTI.

However, does no one agree that the insurance policy for, lets say a Dragonfly, should not be be equivalent to the insurance policy of a Polaris?

That is all that I have said. You certainly aren't going to pay the same premium in game for the insurance policy on those two ships. In my opinion, the difference in costs of ships (in cash) *includes* that increased insurance policy premium.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
remember though, there are usually some other things that come with the item.

For instance, the polaris came with the industrial hangar, while the dragonfly comes with the selfland. This is a significant difference in price.

The Selfland is the basic hangar...Comes with every ship at $0. The Industrial hangar is $50. The Revel and York is $40, and the Aeroview is $20.

This might be one of the differences.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I think grand admiral is $2,500, but when I wrote it, I was thinking it was 5k. (5k is actually Lt. Commander and Space Marshal). Wing Commander is 10k (2 weeks in Hawaii from the states), and Completionist is 15k

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
we do, it's 2.6.3, because with the way CIG is handling stuff, it's no longer looking like an open alpha. It's looking like a barebones release with free expansion content coming in 3.0
Hahaha. Touché.
Holy crap!!!! Grand admiral!!! If I wouldn't have liked the concept LTI so much instead of the CCUd LTI.... How much $ is Grand Admiral?
$2500.
Gulp.
Makes me sweat.

Forgot your password?