marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Wow. I never would have guessed the damage is so short term. You certainly can't plan to board a ship in the time that the thrusters are down and you can't board with them up, so either they need to be shot apart or a secondary disabling blow needs to be offered. I wonder can you extend the time the thrusters are down by periodically slapping a target with a Suckerpunch or some such?

This is all going to be complicated.

Thanks for the intel!
Actually, the first time it takes 12 seconds from start charge to burst. If you hold the trigger, then you can give a burst every 18 seconds. You will be without shields, so if a Warlock can position itself on top of a big target, then it can disable that target every 18 seconds. I never tried the suckerpunch.

Reactions: Blind Owl

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
, Can you tell us, how much time does it take to charge the EMP Generator, what is the burst radius, does it affect all ships the same in the radius and how long until you and your victims' computers come back up after a blast? I have never seen any stats published about the Warlock.
Radius of the blast looks to be between 250 and 500 meters, downtime is 15 seconds from what I can see, and charge time is also fairly quick.

I recommend doing an experiment.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I wonder if bigger ships with larger computers go down for longer periods of time. As is I can't see how the time down is especially useful. You would still need to hoot up the ship you're after.
We will find out more when they start implementing more ship components and such. I am assuming the warlock and sentinel are not meant to be played solo.... you would want to run in a group of multiple ships to make effective use of the EMP. One person shocks, while the others shoot.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Yes. CIG is on record that boarding will be very difficult and only possible through team work. They have also said you can't board a ship with working thrusters, and the way to stop them is pulse them or spike them. Trouble is if the time down for most ships is on the order of ten seconds, you would not even have time to put a boarding ship in place and open he hatches, let alone blow them and fight your way through the ship. I think CIG must have something else in mind and the 10 seconds down is a placeholder. To take something like a StarG you would need the thrusters to be down for ten minutes, rather than ten seconds; unless they have a different dynamic in mind.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Yes. CIG is on record that boarding will be very difficult and only possible through team work. They have also said you can't board a ship with working thrusters, and the way to stop them is pulse them or spike them. Trouble is if the time down for most ships is on the order of ten seconds, you would not even have time to put a boarding ship in place and open he hatches, let alone blow them and fight your way through the ship. I think CIG must have something else in mind and the 10 seconds down is a placeholder. To take something like a StarG you would need the thrusters to be down for ten minutes, rather than ten seconds; unless they have a different dynamic in mind.
Good thing we are in alpha where everything is subject to change...

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
It does make for fascionating conjecture, what a single Warlock with half dozen PC's and NPC's in the back might do out at the pirate station circling Pyro VI. If you really have 300+ meters blast radius, you could stop everything there and have your guys blow hatches at least on those craft within a few seconds reach. I am totally signed up for stealing ships from pirates. I want those nice S4 interdiction weapons in my stock. So far as I can see, there are no reasons to buy Buccaneers. The pirates are holding several dozen for me.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
It'll make for some damn fine coordination effords. Imagine being able to pull it off: being that well oiled as a group. Fuck me, the satisfaction . . .

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
It already was on my wishlist, i liked the Titan/avenger as small to medium sized Fighter. But actually i don't think i will need cargo or prisoner cells -> warlock
One hopes you can fit several NPC's in back, even if they have to stand. Someone said they think CIG is going to limit the number of PC's and NPC's that any given ship can carry so you might not be able to fit 6 standing, but it is worth finding out.

In any case, imagine all the cash you can make with just a Warlock and Reclaimer, flying missions with Vanduul, pulsing them and tractoring them in. Even if they go all kaboomy, all the bits will be saved. And the Vanduul have all those really nice plasma weapons. Of course if when a ship blows up it injures the insides of the Reclaimer, that would be bad; but one never knows until one tries.

Forgot your password?