Pimped your spaceship? Lets share information!

Cherokeedog

Admiral
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
Cherokeedog
What are your thoughts and experiences? Please share.
Well, since we're sharing, my aim is crap, so I'm always spreading my projectiles all over the walls...errr...place. As in space. Space combat place. I should end this phrase.

Anyway, this means I fancy big guns with lots of bullets, shooting fast and overheating slow. I'm talking Panthers. I'm always tryin' to fit a Panther in every hard point I can find. Sometimes also in soft points. That kinda' hurts though. But I'm strayin' from the subject again.

As far as small to medium fighter ships go, here's my mind:

1. Sabre with 4 Panthers. Simple and bold.

2. Any Hornet with 3 Panthers and a big arse coffin nail on top (a cannon; the bigger, the better; shoot it only when you're close, preferably after you've eaten up the shields on your target; if it doesn't kill it, it will still make a powerful statement of intent).

3. Funny enough, even though I can't fit a Panther anywhere on it, I'm one of those Vanguard lovers. After all, it's a fighter with a toilet, so whenever I get outnumbered, outgunned or simply outsmarted (which is like...all the time), I don't have to go outside to express my feelings.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Ok, did some playing around last night. Now, I am mostly a non-gimbal person, and even when I do have gimbals available, I usually lock them in the forward position.

Super Hornet
Initial setup - 3 227 Panthers, 2 117 Badgers. Pips did not line up the same, it also looked like there was a difference in range, but they were very close. I felt the kills were pretty fast once I had a bead on it.
Second setup - 3 227 Panthers, 1 M6A S4 Laser. Pips did line up well, Kills felt fasters with the kills further out and with fewer shots. Again, it looked like the range was close, or even longer on the S4 laser than the Panthers.

Both setups fired with either 2 buttons (Panthers and Badgers or Panthers and Laser) or switched to a single button where everything fired at once.

Now, two 117s are supposed to be VERY close to the total DPS of a single M6A if not just a little bit more, and have almost twice the range, so on paper, they are the better weapons. Thing is, it just didn't feel that way to me. Having velocity that is closer to the Panthers, the M6A meant lining up one shot, pulling the trigger and watching the target disappear in very short order.

Warden (or Varden)
Initial stock setup - Felt very weak. I am not a fan of ammo count weapons and I felt I had to be close to make every shot count. With the difference in velocities, having everything on the same trigger is really bad. At longer ranges, even slight variations in speed, direction, etc, make very slow ammo coming out of the gun miss easily. Once you close down to lower ranges, the Warden's lack of maneuvering compared to smaller ships makes it much harder to put your crosshairs on the target.

Replaced the nose gatling gun with a S5 M7A laser - felt more more like a sniper than anything. Line it up as you close, flip the switch and watch them go boom. Enemy can't close, meaning lower maneuverability is negated. Also means the turret can open up on the target as well. Pips are close together as the velocities as similar. Again, I like this setup. All energy, no ammo issues (I am a bad shot), and it gets rid of the big weakness of the Vanguard. It's speed/size/agility.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Kills felt faster with the kills further out and with fewer shots.
I noticed when viewing weapons comparison vids of others, it is common for players to feel they are killing faster when they are just shooting faster. Seems you didn't make that mistake. For most it "feels" better to be shooting constantly, but as you observe, many weapons kill faster that fire at a slower rate ad when I timed the vids, the fast repeating lasers killed their targets the most slowly. Fewer, harder hits kill regenerating targets better than many small ones, and weapons that put lots of DPS on target at once but then overheat or come out of burst, will allow you to fly defensive and then maximize those shots when you're lined up. So just my opinion but I think weapons that are not always ready to use, are generally better weapons unless you're flying a tank like the Hornet and don't care if you get hit. It is this way in Mechwarrior as well.

Warden (or Varden)

Replaced the nose gatling gun with a S5 M7A laser - felt more more like a sniper than anything. Line it up as you close, flip the switch and watch them go boom. Enemy can't close, meaning lower maneuverability is negated. Also means the turret can open up on the target as well. Pips are close together as the velocities are similar. Again, I like this setup. All energy, no ammo issues (I am a bad shot), and it gets rid of the big weakness of the Vanguard. It's speed/size/agility.
This confirms my predisposition about how to equip and fly that bird, save that I really want to see what a pair of Omni XII's can do on it, since they should improve the range and damage. I think they're still not released though. Certainly if you're taking advantage of the Vanguard's extended range, you don't want primary weapons that have limited ammo.

I'm still saying a pair of Omni XII's as primary and four of the Vanduul S2 Plasma Cannon's for secondary will make that bird one of the most dread in all the 'verse. And then the turret, and the missiles and the EMP charges. . .and. . .and. . .and. . .anyone sees half dozen of them incoming would do well to pee themselves and run.

Rolo

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 22, 2016
RSI Handle
RoloKipp
I've been having a spot of fun lately with the M50 loaded with dual NN14 Neutron cannons.

Range is short and I'm actually having the most effect *very* close, but the "Surprise, Mamacita!" cannon to the face technique is really quite fun in a fast nimble litte ship. And one-shotting Vanduul elites is... satisfying (takes a cockpit hit... like I said - *very* close)

Overheating is a problem. I don't hold down the trigger at all. Single (dual) shot at a time and make 'em count.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I've added the ship speed table on page 1 :)

Anyway, I'm VERY curious about the updated weapon and ship stats, coming with alpha 2.6. Hopefully, that this thread will burn then :D ;)

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Second setup - 3 227 Panthers, 1 M6A S4 Laser. Pips did line up well, Kills felt fasters with the kills further out and with fewer shots. Again, it looked like the range was close, or even longer on the S4 laser than the Panthers.
I just looked for the M6A Laser cannon in the Electronic Access Store. Can it be that its not available there...?

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
I just looked for the M6A Laser cannon in the Electronic Access Store. Can it be that its not available there...?
If that's the size 3 green laser, I think it is only available if you rent the Kharthu ship. If you rent that, then you can take the guns and put them on another ship in hangar. This may have changed since I last played.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I took a one of the s4 lasers off an andromeda. The gemini also has a s4 laser

Last edited:

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Did you hear it? All our exchanged information will become useless intel at the date of the release of 2.6, yay :D

Reactions: marcsand2

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
What annoyes me is the fact that also the weapons will become new hit/impace values etc. Thus I bought Omnisky VI and Panther 227 and *perhaps* they are worth shit after rebalancing. Dumb Sam, always throwing too much money in completely wrong...whatever, directions, baskets... *sigh*

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
What annoyes me is the fact that also the weapons will become new hit/impace values etc. Thus I bought Omnisky VI and Panther 227 and *perhaps* they are worth shit after rebalancing. Dumb Sam, always throwing too much money in completely wrong...whatever, directions, baskets... *sigh*
just because we do not know how they will balance against other weapons doesn't mean it was wrong. until 2.6 drops, values remain. Everything here is an experiment. think of it as working at CERN's LHC. we get to see new "booms" all the time. :)

Forgot your password?