Piracy Piracy Division/Squadron Organization Brainstorm

Cherokeedog

Admiral
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
Cherokeedog
While I do appreciate the clarity of your view in your previous response, this last one confuses me a bit. So...help me understand:

most players will not give you their stuff, Why???, because it seems like a general rule that all gamers are asses and they don't like feeling that anyone is a bigger, better ass than them.
Why does refusing to submit to your request, make your target an ass? I never do that. Submit to anyone's requests of this kind, I mean. Of course, sometimes my guns aren't big enough, but my balls never shrink. After all, someone who wants to rob me of my cargo, is actually tryin' to rob me of my time. Now, my time is somethin' very precious. I learned that the hard way. That's why I also never talk to my targets, unless THEY decide to initiate a negotiation.

And then...

we don't want to be bad people and we wont be
What exactly makes you a good guy...or even a neutral one, once you point your gun at a non hostile player?

I don't actually have a pleasure in being an all out pirate, so I rarely do it, but when I do...shit is very clear in my head: I do it because I can, because I feel like doin' it, and I know I'm a dick. No need to dress myself in a condom.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
So, yes, you are all right, the way in which any good pirate would make a profit from the profession is the minimize risk and maximize reward. That means you try to avoid any type of conflict and get your target to drop their cargo via intimidation. A, look at my BIG GUN, sort of thing. But that sort of thing also is dependent on reputation. The guy needs to know you will make his life hell. I have tried piracy in enough games to know that most players will not give you their stuff, Why???, because it seems like a general rule that all gamers are asses and they don't like feeling that anyone is a bigger, better ass than them. So you grief them, you make their life hell until they understand that they should not mess with you and do what you say - then you can be nice to them. =)

I agree with all of your rationalizations, we don't want to be bad people and we wont be, unless you invite us to be.

But, I personally, just don't justify it. It is what I do, if you don't like it, get a better weapon or pay up. Tax at a tole or at the point of a gun I still see it as grief. . . . just sayin
Who is to say we don't want to be bad people? We have no official stance on what we want to be. We are just a collective group of gamers at this point with zero direction on a game that isn't finished. :o

Reactions: Blind Owl

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
While I do appreciate the clarity of your view in your previous response, this last one confuses me a bit. So...help me understand:

Why does refusing to submit to your request, make your target an ass? I never do that. Submit to anyone's requests of this kind, I mean. Of course, sometimes my guns aren't big enough, but my balls never shrink. After all, someone who wants to rob me of my cargo, is actually tryin' to rob me of my time. Now, my time is somethin' very precious. I learned that the hard way. That's why I also never talk to my targets, unless THEY decide to initiate a negotiation.

And then...

What exactly makes you a good guy...or even a neutral one, once you point your gun at a non hostile player?

I don't actually have a pleasure in being an all out pirate, so I rarely do it, but when I do...shit is very clear in my head: I do it because I can, because I feel like doin' it, and I know I'm a dick. No need to dress myself in a condom.
The moment someone demands my haul I'm opening fire and killing them. They either let me go or take nothing. I don't negotiate. Doesn't make me an ass.

Mettan

Admiral
Dec 31, 2014
RSI Handle
Metan
The moment someone demands my haul I'm opening fire and killing them. They either let me go or take nothing. I don't negotiate. Doesn't make me an ass.
It's perspective. Most reasonable people would see the guy trying to steal from you as an ass, but when you are the guy who is doing the stealing the world looks different, and as I said I don't justify it, like Cherokee I do it because I want to, that does make me the bad guy, which is my personal position, why hide it?

Last edited:

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I'm up for lootin, rootin, hollarin, and shootin. Though I also have an absurd amount of patience. I've very flexible and can change piracy styles on the fly, I just need a heads up. I'll follow any plan that's not color coordinated... cuz I'm colorblind.

"Steve! Stop team killing!"
"I'm not, I'm shooting the reds!"
"Those are GREEN people. They're on OUR side!"
"huh... no wonder they had their backs turned to me...."

I have a hard time piloting DRAKE ships due to the HUD colors. But at least I get lots of practice shooting people. Can't wait till we can color our own HUDs :D

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
...So they will end up feelin' griefed, and they won't blame specific members, but the organization. They'll claim they're gettin' griefed by TEST...
So, my questions is: are we lettin' this happen, or do we intend to control the phenomenon somehow, in order to preserve TEST's reputation.
Yeah, we're lettin' it happen.

[wall o' text]
You can get a smaller group to agree to a set of rules and abide by them, but that doesn't scale.

We are 11,000+ and growing. The only qualification for joining (and I doubt it's actively enforced) is a Reddit membership. If you think all those people are going to agree on one standard of behavior, send me some of what you're smoking.

You could try to impose a bunch of rules from on high, but how will you enforce them? SC is a game - we all signed up to have fun. And playing the enforcer, having adversarial relations with your fellow members, is not going to be fun. Who will take the job?

So we have no way to screen out bad actors, and no way to make them behave. We're stuck with the effect they will have on our org's reputation.

Anyone who cares about having a pristine rep would do well to join a smaller org that actually cares about being good guys.
[/wall o' text]

tl;dr
Trying to preserve our rep is futile.

Last edited:

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
It's perspective. Most reasonable people would see the guy trying to steal from you as an ass, but when you are the guy who is doing the stealing the world looks different, and as I said I don't justify it, like Cherokee I do it because I want to, that does make me the bad guy, which is my personal position, why hide it?
I dont believe someone who ask's me for my haul to be an ass, but what I was replying to stated that the person defending themselves was potentially and ass as well. Which I would never agree with. If you defend yourself you are never an ass, if you raid some one, you are again never the ass. The ass only comes into play when you insert douche bagery statements like, "He fuck face give me your goods or die" or "I'm going to kill you and there is nothing your weak ass can do about it." That is when the trade becomes assery.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
I dont believe someone who ask's me for my haul to be an ass, but what I was replying to stated that the person defending themselves was potentially and ass as well. Which I would never agree with. If you defend yourself you are never an ass, if you raid some one, you are again never the ass. The ass only comes into play when you insert douche bagery statements like, "He fuck face give me your goods or die" or "I'm going to kill you and there is nothing your weak ass can do about it." That is when the trade becomes assery.
Which is why I heavily encourage pirate talk!

"Fuck you kiddie I'm gonna kill you and take your stuff!" = Rude dude.
"Avast ye bilge guzzling yellow bellied port rat, heave to and prepare to greet Davy Jones!" = Awesome!

"I'm gonna blow up your ship scrubbie 1v1 me u little fuck" = douche
"Arr, ye sailed into the wrong waters! Fight back if ye have the stomach to!" = Sweet!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

"Avast ye bilge guzzling yellow bellied port rat, heave to and prepare to greet Davy Jones!" = Awesome!

"Arr, ye sailed into the wrong waters! Fight back if ye have the stomach to!" = Sweet!
Yarrrrr! Pirate talk be what we're lookin' fer!
I was going to spew cheesie rhetoric, but a crying 1 year old is pirating me free tyme.

Mettan

Admiral
Dec 31, 2014
RSI Handle
Metan
OK!!!! I'm SORRY for saying ASS!!!!! No one is an ass, how many more times can I say ass before I no longer can say ass????

ps. that's not anger, I am sorry if I offended you.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
OK!!!! I'm SORRY for saying ASS!!!!! No one is an ass, how many more times can I say ass before I no longer can say ass????

ps. that's not anger, I am sorry if I offended you.
I'm totally offended. Stop being an ass...and come help me kill this asshole who won't give up his cargo. Haha.

Reactions: Mettan

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
everybody likes a little ass

nobody likes a smartass

Forgot your password?