Pirate Swarm Beaten!

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
Tried my hand tonight. First attempt, used my vanguard it feels like a heavy fighter now!

Got to wave 14, 1st death either my character got sniped through the cockpot or I bugged because the death animation was me ragdolling back through the cockpit like a fps death...

Wave 9 died to the triplet of cutlass bosses, I just wasn't prepared to fight 4 cutlass especially at once (one non boss one attacked too).

So I learned that the vanguard with the new boost mechanics is really a boom and zoom ship. I am going to try putting the ballistics back in as when you boom and zoom with energy weapons your target also gets to recharge Shields.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Did you use missiles much? the vanguard can take a good compliment of smaller missiles if you rent the right mount.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Did you use missiles much? the vanguard can take a good compliment of smaller missiles if you rent the right mount.
I do use the vanguard. I was going to start playing with those different sizes mounts.
2 size 4 mounts, so:
4x1x4 = 2 size 4s
4x2x3 = 4 size 3s
4x4x2 = 8 size 2s
4x8x1 = 16 size 1s
Now, to figure out what's the best. So many choices.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I do use the vanguard. I was going to start playing with those different sizes mounts.
2 size 4 mounts, so:
4x1x4 = 2 size 4s
4x2x3 = 4 size 3s
4x4x2 = 8 size 2s
4x8x1 = 16 size 1s
Now, to figure out what's the best. So many choices.
Go with the Size 3s. One hit kill on M50s.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
I totally agree in ac because of missile refills the bigger size missiles make more sense to me. I want to swap out the four size 1's on the hornet wildfire to 2 size 2s. I recced the missiles but not the mount oops. I haven't played enough to know which ones are best but if you fire at close range only they all seem to hit so damage is the big plus.

Because of the firing animation you loose shooting time firing missiles hence another reason for wanting large over more small.

On combat tactics, I tend to slow down a bit especially for M50s and the ai will then almost always work in teams so one or two other ships will then go almost stationary to shoot at you. If I see to much shield flare (my own) I almost always then run out unless I have almost killed the target to give myself time. Vanguards ai are easy to fight but if they are the stationary ai ship shooting you whilst you focus on something else there big rail gun can kill you very fast as it seems to shoot through shields so in the later stages I have to try to take out solo ai ships as much as possible. Note the AI will use afterburner to close up with other ships but you have some time.

Oh and meant to add some ships have less firepower than armour so should be lower priority targets I.e. cutlass...

Happy hunting all I am by no means an expert happy for the more proficient people to correct any mistakes.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I totally agree in ac because of missile refills the bigger size missiles make more sense to me. I want to swap out the four size 1's on the hornet wildfire to 2 size 2s. I recced the missiles but not the mount oops. I haven't played enough to know which ones are best but if you fire at close range only they all seem to hit so damage is the big plus.

Because of the firing animation you loose shooting time firing missiles hence another reason for wanting large over more small.

On combat tactics, I tend to slow down a bit especially for M50s and the ai will then almost always work in teams so one or two other ships will then go almost stationary to shoot at you. If I see to much shield flare (my own) I almost always then run out unless I have almost killed the target to give myself time. Vanguards ai are easy to fight but if they are the stationary ai ship shooting you whilst you focus on something else there big rail gun can kill you very fast as it seems to shoot through shields so in the later stages I have to try to take out solo ai ships as much as possible. Note the AI will use afterburner to close up with other ships but you have some time.

Happy hunting all I am by no means an expert happy for the more proficient people to correct any mistakes.
Great break down@Crymsan. Thanks for this.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
GOTCHA!!

All my teammates were beaten, I stood alone in Wave 18 against a Cutlass, a Warden and the Connie - in my AVENGER!! (@marcsand2 - Avenger! It doesn't explode without meaning like the damn Hornet!)
I managed to slice of the propulsion units of the Cutlass and played "hide and seek" between the asteriods until the Warden and the Connie had emptied their rocket launchers. Was hell of a firework in space! Finally, I was totally busted, everything glowed in red lights in my cockpit like I'd a xmas tree in there. I crashed into the Connie and used my last respawn: gave the Cutlass her coup de grâce, shot the Warden back to hell and finally outmanouvered the Connie, shot her engines away - and watched her while spinning into the boundary. Boy, that was a HELL of a fight!

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
GOTCHA!!

All my teammates were beaten, I stood alone in Wave 18 against a Cutlass, a Warden and the Connie - in my AVENGER!! (@marcsand2 - Avenger! It doesn't explode without meaning like the damn Hornet!)
I managed to slice of the propulsion units of the Cutlass and played "hide and seek" between the asteriods until the Warden and the Connie had emptied their rocket launchers. Was hell of a firework in space! Finally, I was totally busted, everything glowed in red lights in my cockpit like I'd a xmas tree in there. I crashed into the Connie and used my last respawn: gave the Cutlass her coup de grâce, shot the Warden back to hell and finally outmanouvered the Connie, shot her engines away - and watched her while spinning into the boundary. Boy, that was a HELL of a fight!
High five!

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
Completed on third attempt. More by the grace of a good wingman than any personal skill. The subscriber Sabre loan did me proud though, the ship was far sturdier than I had feared. The plasma shotguns that I fitted it with though did NOT server me well. I know some people have great success with them so it is obviously more the idiot behind the joystick than any fault of the guns. Wherever I aimed. Bead on the target, leading the target, point blank nose ON the target and none of those did me any good.

Boy do I suck with the plasma shotguns :)

Still, job done and CCU banked.

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
GOTCHA!!

Booya! Congratulations, what a fantastic way to beat the mission.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
GOTCHA!!

Congratulations!!!

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Completed on third attempt. More by the grace of a good wingman than any personal skill. The subscriber Sabre loan did me proud though, the ship was far sturdier than I had feared. The plasma shotguns that I fitted it with though did NOT server me well. I know some people have great success with them so it is obviously more the idiot behind the joystick than any fault of the guns. Wherever I aimed. Bead on the target, leading the target, point blank nose ON the target and none of those did me any good.

Boy do I suck with the plasma shotguns :slight_smile:
Its not you - its the PIP! Its bugged, and especially with the Pyros you can hit nothing in multiplayer-based games. Try them instead in a singleplayer based swarm session. I swear to you, you will have a damn good time with the Pyros!

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Ha, I'm sorry. Like I mentioned earlier, I've been sick and awake for way too long :P
You don't have to be sorry, you asked a question, I gave an answer, I must apologize because my short answers maybe sound corrective, they aren't.
I hope you will get better soon (and this one is corrective) for gods sake, get some sleep, it will help you get better soon :smile:

Forgot your password?