Possible December Sale Predictions

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
If you haven't seen it, go watch Montoya's video and pay attention to the light green part of the chart representing December:

Usually we see a new concept in December as a final hurrah for the year. Last year they had the Ares for us up for sale. That made a big impact with the usual flight ready sale of ships. Now this year with 3.12 coming soon I believe we'll get the Refinery Ship as a concept and possibly the Xi'an cargo ship that were on their plate from CitCon:

Now this year we got the ROC which was the Ground Mining Vehicle and we got a concept sale for the Tevarin Light FIghter in the form of the Talon which should be coming in game for 3.12. This leaves us with the cargo and refinery ships. Now in one of the PTU builds for 3.11.1 there was an entry for a Crusader Industrial but no details and it was later removed. I believe this is the refinery ship as we're getting refinery decks on stations in 3.12 and I believe THAT implementation(once fixed) will determine how a subsequent ship will perform its role. I don't know where the Xi'an cargo ship would fit in but it would be a nice addition and cap off for the year.

My predicted name for the refinery ship is the Hephaestus.

What do you all think?

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
CIG is running out of ideas for heavy hitters in the $600 price range... 8 years later I have all the roles I want at the moment - from a gladiator to a kraken. They need to finish this game now, this can only last so long, whether today or sometime in the next couple years, it will eventually loose steam. I am personally amazed they (CIG) has lasted as long as they have with the product they have produced. Time is the killer of us all, human or video games. I was 43 years old when I first bought into the game, now I am 50! I'll be dead by the time we have something real. Imagine, I ordered a new F250 is 2013 and they told me they could not deliver it until 2022. Would I buy it, no. There has to be something in the law to make CIG respect us... just saying.

Last edited:

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
I still wonder if "refinery" means ore refining or fuel refining a la Starfarer.

To be frank I don't know if Ore Refining could be fun or viable as a standalone ship. You would basically have to have someone out mining ore, and then have to have it be more profitable to do it on site than just taking it back to a refinery deck. Maaaaaaaaybe if it can refine Quantum fuel, but that's a slim hope to hang a hat on.

To me I think it's more likely (and would be more fun) to have a smaller Starfarer. It's a big ship and currently the only ship capable of large scale Hydrogen fuel refining (and should get it's ability to refine quantum fuel back, but CR saw Solo and got "inspired" by Coaxium) and refuel other ships (yes the Vulcan can do it as well but that's via drones, not with a fuel boom, you know what I mean).

It's also 300 dollars which is kinda expensive for being the only ship capable of it. I can easily see a 120-150$ single person Freelancer/MSR sized tanker/fuel refiner having a comfortable niche to inhabit.

I have a Starfarer but I would also like something that's not so ponderous, but can be a more heavy duty refueling platform than the Vulcan.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
CIG is running out of ideas for heavy hitters in the $600 price range... 8 years later I have all the roles I want at the moment - from a gladiator to a kraken. They need to finish this game now, this can only last so long, whether today or sometime in the next couple years, it will eventually loose steam. I am personally amazed they (CIG) has lasted as long as they have with the product they have produced. Time is the killer of us all, human or video games. I was 43 years old when I first bought into the game, now I am 50! I'll be dead by the time we have something real. Imagine, I ordered a new F250 is 2013 and they told me they could not deliver it until 2022. Would I buy it, no. There has to be something in the law to make CIG respect us... just saying.

Mate they had their literal best day of funding when the Perseus came out. 3 million and change in a single day, 16 million in all of November.

2020 has been their most successful year ever as far as money goes, why on earth would they kill the gravy train? They make more money by not finishing the game lol

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Mate they had their literal best day of funding when the Perseus came out. 3 million and change in a single day, 16 million in all of November.
So you're saying this will last for ever? Wow and Eve started in 2004 with a game... we don't even have that - 8 years, wow and eve would have had to start ASKING for money in 1996. Even to put this game (even though it is not) in the legend category is wrong. It is not a legend game yet, the more time that goes by with out a product, the more ridicule they will get as a scam. I have a ton of money invested in this game, but enough is enough. This will not last forever, there are only so many people willing to spend $600 on a concept; Normal people would call that crazy... I call it a dream fading. Enjoy the success... even people in their prime are put to pasture with time.

Last edited:

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
I still wonder if "refinery" means ore refining or fuel refining a la Starfarer.

To be frank I don't know if Ore Refining could be fun or viable as a standalone ship. You would basically have to have someone out mining ore, and then have to have it be more profitable to do it on site than just taking it back to a refinery deck. Maaaaaaaaybe if it can refine Quantum fuel, but that's a slim hope to hang a hat on.

To me I think it's more likely (and would be more fun) to have a smaller Starfarer. It's a big ship and currently the only ship capable of large scale Hydrogen fuel refining (and should get it's ability to refine quantum fuel back, but CR saw Solo and got "inspired" by Coaxium) and refuel other ships (yes the Vulcan can do it as well but that's via drones, not with a fuel boom, you know what I mean).

It's also 300 dollars which is kinda expensive for being the only ship capable of it. I can easily see a 120-150$ single person Freelancer/MSR sized tanker/fuel refiner having a comfortable niche to inhabit.

I have a Starfarer but I would also like something that's not so ponderous, but can be a more heavy duty refueling platform than the Vulcan.
I don't think it will be a mini Starfarer.

Profit with a dedicated ore refinery would start with not having to haul your ore back to base while mining. Imagine a small gang of two or three prospectors mining through the asteroid belt while not need to take care of transporting and refining it in base. You just let your ore refinery do the refining on site and when filled do the transport or hand it over to a dedicated hauler. Also it might help with unstable materials which the refinery converts into a stable product.
I also always assumed that refined material will take less space so less flying around and more profit.

Another option might be general refinery not capabale of extracting any material, but a lot more flexible than the Starfarer.
So maybe in the future we will see other ships like the prospector which can harvest fuel but not refine it. And the refinery will be able to refine those into fuel/quantum fuel (?)

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
I just noticed, while browsing the ship sale page, that the Hull C is marked as :
IN PRODUCTION
Currently being built and tested for implementation in-game.

All the other Hulls are shown as just Concept Finished.
Nice catch ! I am really waiting on the Hull series.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I just noticed, while browsing the ship sale page, that the Hull C is marked as :
IN PRODUCTION
Currently being built and tested for implementation in-game.

All the other Hulls are shown as just Concept Finished.
Nice catch ! I am really waiting on the Hull series.
Apparently it was fairly finished a while back but they ran into problems with moving physics grids and ship docking which delayed it, the ship has been waiting for the tech rather than having the ship launch and wait like the Reclaimer, Starfarer etc.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Apparently it was fairly finished a while back but they ran into problems with moving physics grids and ship docking which delayed it, the ship has been waiting for the tech rather than having the ship launch and wait like the Reclaimer, Starfarer etc.
Nomad feels like it might be sort of a test for Hull series, what with also having an external cargo space that moves up and down.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Another option might be general refinery not capabale of extracting any material, but a lot more flexible than the Starfarer.
So maybe in the future we will see other ships like the prospector which can harvest fuel but not refine it. And the refinery will be able to refine those into fuel/quantum fuel (?)
I mean, Prospector already extracts fuel that it can't refine (Quantanium) which kinda makes me wonder... Does starfarer require a prospector to actually get quantanium? Can starfarer produce quantum fuel through other means? Or will starfarer be just the kinda... real dumb way of getting hydrogen fuel? I just might sell my gemini if that happens. I was kinda expecting starfarer to be able to make quantum fuel by visiting gas planets... =/

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I mean, Prospector already extracts fuel that it can't refine (Quantanium) which kinda makes me wonder... Does starfarer require a prospector to actually get quantanium? Can starfarer produce quantum fuel through other means? Or will starfarer be just the kinda... real dumb way of getting hydrogen fuel? I just might sell my gemini if that happens. I was kinda expecting starfarer to be able to make quantum fuel by visiting gas planets... =/
They said a while ago they were removing the ability for it to get quantanium and instead leaving it to just refining. I'm keeping mine, because I can always use it as a beefy guard for my mining ship. With a decent cargo hold it can even take a lot of ore to hold while the Mole keeps mining. And any quantanium that does get mined won't mean a trek back to the refinery since the Gemini can just take it and make it stable.

I really do hope they get fueling in soon and rework the Starfarers as they're severely outdated. I'm especially hoping they make the Base and Gemini different so I can have my massive guns, that'll help with guarding the miners. Dual S6 turrets are no joke!

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
They said a while ago they were removing the ability for it to get quantanium and instead leaving it to just refining. I'm keeping mine, because I can always use it as a beefy guard for my mining ship. With a decent cargo hold it can even take a lot of ore to hold while the Mole keeps mining. And any quantanium that does get mined won't mean a trek back to the refinery since the Gemini can just take it and make it stable.

I really do hope they get fueling in soon and rework the Starfarers as they're severely outdated. I'm especially hoping they make the Base and Gemini different so I can have my massive guns, that'll help with guarding the miners. Dual S6 turrets are no joke!
Oh, that's a shame. And yeah, I kinda like how beefy Gemini is, but... if gemini can't produce quantum fuel without a miner and a suitable location for mining... that's very limiting. Also kinda depends on how much those external fuel tanks will add to Geminis fuel capacity, I presume the current 11k is just the ship's own tanks. I mean, has to be. There aren't really any ships using S3 quantum drive that didn't have 11k or more quantum fuel. All the others have 11k or 44k in starfarers size class, and the starfarer is the only one of these that has literally half the ship worth of fuel tanks.

Also I think they might've just changed the turret sizes, Gemini is currently one size larger than the base starfarer, but instead of S5 and S6 guns, it's just S4 and S5...

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Oh, that's a shame. And yeah, I kinda like how beefy Gemini is, but... if gemini can't produce quantum fuel without a miner and a suitable location for mining... that's very limiting. Also kinda depends on how much those external fuel tanks will add to Geminis fuel capacity, I presume the current 11k is just the ship's own tanks. I mean, has to be. There aren't really any ships using S3 quantum drive that didn't have 11k or more quantum fuel. All the others have 11k or 44k in starfarers size class, and the starfarer is the only one of these that has literally half the ship worth of fuel tanks.

Also I think they might've just changed the turret sizes, Gemini is currently one size larger than the base starfarer, but instead of S5 and S6 guns, it's just S4 and S5...
That explains why in all the images I've seen of the 'Farer it's got redonkulous huge top turret guns! I had no idea it was supposed to have them - you've helped make my evening 🙂

Now just gotta wait to be able to slave that nonsense to the pilot 😄

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
That explains why in all the images I've seen of the 'Farer it's got redonkulous huge top turret guns! I had no idea it was supposed to have them - you've helped make my evening 🙂

Now just gotta wait to be able to slave that nonsense to the pilot 😄
The Reclaimer top turret is S6 right now if you want to see how they perform. Shit's ridiculous!

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

2020 has been their most successful year ever as far as money goes, why on earth would they kill the gravy train? They make more money by not finishing the game lol
So you're saying this will last for ever? Wow and Eve started in 2004 with a game... we don't even have that - 8 years, wow and eve would have had to start ASKING for money in 1996. Even to put this game (even though it is not) in the legend category is wrong. It is not a legend game yet, the more time that goes by with out a product, the more ridicule they will get as a scam. I have a ton of money invested in this game, but enough is enough. This will not last forever, there are only so many people willing to spend $600 on a concept; Normal people would call that crazy... I call it a dream fading. Enjoy the success... even people in their prime are put to pasture with time.
I think you are both right, in a way...I think CIG definitely keeps one eye on deadlines, and another on the funding coming in. If the funding keeps coming in, they can keep "making" the game, and keep postponing the "actual release" (and since it is an MMO, it will always be in development, with updates). Having said that, they can monkey around with the dates by knowingly selling ships the know we will all throw our wallets at...

With the Perseus, I believe CIG was thinking, "Crap, we need another year for development...what ship could we sell that would give us enough funding to get another year of dev time?" The marketing answer was "Something about $600 with BIG PEW PEWs on the front!"

CR has said before they look at it like a business with money going in and out, and how much do they have and how much do they need to go for x number of months. We are seeing some smart business people here, the kind that didn't need to go to school and get an MBA. I'm not saying that in a cynical way, I've sunk a lot of money in the game, and I have a lot of confidence it will get done right. Whether I live to see that day is another question!

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I think you are both right, in a way...I think CIG definitely keeps one eye on deadlines, and another on the funding coming in. If the funding keeps coming in, they can keep "making" the game, and keep postponing the "actual release" (and since it is an MMO, it will always be in development, with updates). Having said that, they can monkey around with the dates by knowingly selling ships the know we will all throw our wallets at...

With the Perseus, I believe CIG was thinking, "Crap, we need another year for development...what ship could we sell that would give us enough funding to get another year of dev time?" The marketing answer was "Something about $600 with BIG PEW PEWs on the front!"

CR has said before they look at it like a business with money going in and out, and how much do they have and how much do they need to go for x number of months. We are seeing some smart business people here, the kind that didn't need to go to school and get an MBA. I'm not saying that in a cynical way, I've sunk a lot of money in the game, and I have a lot of confidence it will get done right. Whether I live to see that day is another question!
The other thing people forget is yeah its taken 8 years but in comparison with the graphics etc we had 8 years ago and what they are offering us now and the level of tech being created and constantly reworked to be "Cutting Edge" the game is still going to be up to date.

Forgot your password?