Question about people/troop transport

Oneprophet

Grand Admiral
Jan 30, 2018
RSI Handle
Oneprophet
Not sure if anything like this has come up at all in official talks from the devs but I'm curious if anyone knows if there will be or is something like an ODST drop pod from Halo that would let us deploy troops from orbit around a planet. Something like this could be rather helpful if you need to defend a location on the ground but are engaged by hostiles while still in atmosphere or still in orbit.

Also one other thing, what is preventing us as players from just shoving as many people as possible in a ship to move them around for either combat or just transporting them to a location.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Not sure if anything like this has come up at all in official talks from the devs but I'm curious if anyone knows if there will be or is something like an ODST drop pod from Halo that would let us deploy troops from orbit around a planet. Something like this could be rather helpful if you need to defend a location on the ground but are engaged by hostiles while still in atmosphere or still in orbit.

Also one other thing, what is preventing us as players from just shoving as many people as possible in a ship to move them around for either combat or just transporting them to a location.
Not officially. We do have drop ships and troop carriers, but nothing from orbit down to planet.

The primary thing preventing you from shoving as many people into one ship is the ship's ability to support that many mouth breathers on board at one time. Life support and oxygen systems wont be able to handle more bodies than what the max crew is stated as.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Life support and oxygen systems wont be able to handle more bodies than what the max crew is stated as.
I never understood this.

My Connies max crew is 5. I put another 5 people on board and get them to put on their flight suits - we now have 30mins of oxygen. At the end of that 30mins the 5 who were not wearing suits put theirs on and the originals take theirs off. We have another 30mins with no issues.

So i've had an hour of flight with no problems, and if I haven't reached the destination by then i've then got however long it takes to suffocate which in a Connie would take a while.

You'll be able to get most places you want to go in 1 hour or the game is going to be boring backwards.

I'd have thought the Quantum Drive would be the limiter - too many biologicals on board and it just turns everyone into gray goo - it is fucking with Quantum Shit after all. This means short planet to ship evacuation or ship to planet evacuation which doesn't use Quantum Drive would still be a doable and entertaining part of the game.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

Its been asked from time to time for a drop pod but no official word on it as yet. As for preventing players from shoving as many players as possible into a ship. As of this moment nothing. In the future they talked about turbulence and ship movement having the potential of throwing players around and having them take damage. There is also talk about life support not being adequate to handle the additional players. Space suits would help with the situation for a limited run and even that can be extended with the oxygen recharge packs they sell. So mostly it seems that they will allow people to stuff their ships with players with the understanding that if the ship performs any evasive actions or gets hit by explosives it has the potential of hurting and killing the passengers not strapped in.

Oneprophet

Grand Admiral
Jan 30, 2018
RSI Handle
Oneprophet
Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I guess a few test will have to be done later on after more systems get put into the game.

Also if nothing changes and we don't get drop pods, we could drop ground vehicles from high up and use that to deploy people if needed. STLYounglbood put out a video where they dropped one of the golf carts from rather high up and survived.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
They've hinted heavily that they'd like to at least look into doing drop pods in the future, but there's a lot of potential technical limitations, and probly some unforeseen ones will pop up, too. Don't expect them to put them in for a few years, if ever.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I never understood this.

My Connies max crew is 5. I put another 5 people on board and get them to put on their flight suits - we now have 30mins of oxygen. At the end of that 30mins the 5 who were not wearing suits put theirs on and the originals take theirs off. We have another 30mins with no issues.

So i've had an hour of flight with no problems, and if I haven't reached the destination by then i've then got however long it takes to suffocate which in a Connie would take a while.

You'll be able to get most places you want to go in 1 hour or the game is going to be boring backwards.

I'd have thought the Quantum Drive would be the limiter - too many biologicals on board and it just turns everyone into gray goo - it is fucking with Quantum Shit after all. This means short planet to ship evacuation or ship to planet evacuation which doesn't use Quantum Drive would still be a doable and entertaining part of the game.
You gotta remember that during citizencon, they quantum travelled from one planet to another and it took 18 minutes IN quantum travel....and thats within the same solar system. Imagine trying to go from one system to a different one.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
You gotta remember that during citizencon, they quantum travelled from one planet to another and it took 18 minutes IN quantum travel....and thats within the same solar system. Imagine trying to go from one system to a different one.
Hmmmm, good point, but I 'aint got time for that shit.

I'll get an Argo and move containers from Hull C's to port. Thats quick gameplay.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
In my opinion, that would depend on the level of "fidelity". My personal experiences with road trips with large groups of people has taught me that the moment things get bumpy, somebody (if not many) will become rather gassy. If you have a limited air supply in a sealed environment with more people that is designed to be in there & that happens, ... bad things will happen.

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
In my opinion, that would depend on the level of "fidelity". My personal experiences with road trips with large groups of people has taught me that the moment things get bumpy, somebody (if not many) will become rather gassy. If you have a limited air supply in a sealed environment with more people that is designed to be in there & that happens, ... bad things will happen.
Throw the farter out the airlock.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Hmmmm, good point, but I 'aint got time for that shit.

I'll get an Argo and move containers from Hull C's to port. Thats quick gameplay.
They are making gameplay for everyone i suppose, those with patience and those without! :D

Why not something like this?
This is not very fast... took it several minutes to get to the surface, PLUS how will it work on planets and moons with no atmosphere? The parachute would have nothing to slow down.

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
Not officially. We do have drop ships and troop carriers, but nothing from orbit down to planet.

The primary thing preventing you from shoving as many people into one ship is the ship's ability to support that many mouth breathers on board at one time. Life support and oxygen systems wont be able to handle more bodies than what the max crew is stated as.
It could still work. The life support won't be able to support all the people, so the air will run out after an indefinite short bit of time, but then if they're wearing suits they've got their air supply in their suit to extend the time even longer. You only need to get to the surface and drop the troops then the life support could clean the air for the pilot and crew, or if there's a breathable atmosphere opening the doors to drop the troops off should bring in some fresh air. I could see it working making a short jump from a staging ground or mother ship of some kind.

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
The Vanduul have something called a Spike, a personal boarding torpedo used to get troops to the ground or into someones ship quick, fast and in a hurry. The Marines have a similar device known as a Nail, supposedly based on the Vanduul Spike. If the Nail functions correctly, it can take a Marine from orbit to deployed on the planets surface in under 90 seconds. There is a small failure rate, though. I'VE BEEN TOLD that CIG has said that Spikes and Nails will never be usable by players in game. I don't know if that means it's a lore device only, or what, but that's all I've got, except that there was a lore post about it, I think in early 2017 or late 2016.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
The Vanduul have something called a Spike, a personal boarding torpedo used to get troops to the ground or into someones ship quick, fast and in a hurry. The Marines have a similar device known as a Nail, supposedly based on the Vanduul Spike. If the Nail functions correctly, it can take a Marine from orbit to deployed on the planets surface in under 90 seconds. There is a small failure rate, though. I'VE BEEN TOLD that CIG has said that Spikes and Nails will never be usable by players in game. I don't know if that means it's a lore device only, or what, but that's all I've got, except that there was a lore post about it, I think in early 2017 or late 2016.
I'm sure they will allow them to be used by the enemy.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
It could still work. The life support won't be able to support all the people, so the air will run out after an indefinite short bit of time, but then if they're wearing suits they've got their air supply in their suit to extend the time even longer. You only need to get to the surface and drop the troops then the life support could clean the air for the pilot and crew, or if there's a breathable atmosphere opening the doors to drop the troops off should bring in some fresh air. I could see it working making a short jump from a staging ground or mother ship of some kind.
If everyone is using their EVA suit for life support in the ship, that leaves the troops no oxygen to use while in battle on the ground. Most planets/moons will not have breathable atmospheres. And if they do have a breathable atmosphere, you cant open the doors up while in high altitude or you will suffocate your troops.

Reactions: Ammorn and Bambooza

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
If everyone is using their EVA suit for life support in the ship, that leaves the troops no oxygen to use while in battle on the ground. Most planets/moons will not have breathable atmospheres. And if they do have a breathable atmosphere, you cant open the doors up while in high altitude or you will suffocate your troops.
Maybe the pod has a refil station for oxygen. Also if you are dropping people like that usually there is an egress point or someone is comming in after you.

Forgot your password?