Question about ship sales

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
In another thread someone mentioned that RSI occasionally puts ships back on sale that are not currently on sale. When this happens, are they offered with LTI again or is that sort of a first time only type of thing? I had decided that I want to add a Prospector and a Vulture to my fleet. I can pick up the warbond Vulture next month before the sale ends but it'll be stretching the budget to pick up two in the hopes that I can at some point maybe CCU the other Vulture into a Prospector. What are my options based on your collective past experience?

Stoutman

Space Marshal
May 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Stoutman
To get LTI on a ship which does not have it is easy to do. Just buy a cheaper ship which has LTI and then upgrade it (CCU) to the ship you want. The LTI from the smaller ship will be on the larger ship after the upgrade.

It is considered a good idea to have several LTI token ships in your buyback just for this reason. I do.

When a cheap ship is in concept with LTI, you buy one, then melt it, buy another, melt it, etc. Do this as many times during the sale as you want. Then when a larger ship which you want goes on sale, like the anniversary sale every November, you simple buy back a LTI token ship, or use one you already have and upgrade it to the larger ship you really want.

Often you can find the smaller LTI token ships for sale here by TEST members who have a bunch of them on buyback.

Heartwood

Space Marshal
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Heartwood
Hi @SoloFlyer
from my pov, the best thing to do right now is byuing 40$ LTI tokens from other players (like Stoutman said) and use them for every ship you missed along the way.

The returning november sale has most ships listed again, so you can CCU into those at that time and keep the LTI from the tokens.

Right now, you can check out the market area here in the forums and look for nox LTI ships or dragonfly packs. Those are pretty good. Followed by the 100i series ships with LTI. Looking at it a second time, you can also make use of CCU sales (for example: ship "x" into "y" for 10$). Sometimes those seem odd at first, but if you figure out a way to get there, you can bypass missing stand alone ships or the november sale and buy a direct CCU from another player.

Keep in mind that
a) ground vehicles cannot be CCU'ed into ships
b) gifted ships will lose the gifting ability after you received them

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
thanks for the replies guys. i've never melted or ccu'ed any ships before and way back when i first found out about SC i just bought what i thought looked cool while the sales were still going on. i think i'll take a look at the marketplace area for when i'm ready to make a purchase and see if i can somehow get a LTI token for not too much money

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Hello @SoloFlyer & welcome to the jpeg addiction support network. In my honest opinion, LTI is both wonderful & the original form of "bling" / status symbol in Star Citizen. Most of us here also happen to enjoy the consumption of Beer as well as clicking the like buttons when somebody likes what another had to say. I will give you fair warning, NEVER melt or CCU upgrade either a Mustang Omega or a Saber Raven because once those are modified or melted, there is nearly nothing you can do to get them back as they are limited time promotion only ships.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
To get LTI on a ship which does not have it is easy to do. Just buy a cheaper ship which has LTI and then upgrade it (CCU) to the ship you want. The LTI from the smaller ship will be on the larger ship after the upgrade.

It is considered a good idea to have several LTI token ships in your buyback just for this reason. I do.

When a cheap ship is in concept with LTI, you buy one, then melt it, buy another, melt it, etc. Do this as many times during the sale as you want. Then when a larger ship which you want goes on sale, like the anniversary sale every November, you simple buy back a LTI token ship, or use one you already have and upgrade it to the larger ship you really want.

Often you can find the smaller LTI token ships for sale here by TEST members who have a bunch of them on buyback.
Sadly this trick doesnt work anymore since all new concepts bought with credits no longer offer LTI. He would have to buy a warbond or a warbond pack(i assume larger summed packs may still get LTI but we dont know yet.).

@SoloFlyer my best suggestion for you is buy 1 or 2 warbond ships which are around your goal prices and buy CCUs to ships you want to eventually own. You should draw a map out to see what you want in the end and start getting ccus along the way(You could get lucky and get one CCU which has a price increase). If you ever looked in my hanger you would get lost trying to navigate around all the CCUs i have as i prep for my next big ship.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Sadly this trick doesnt work anymore since all new concepts bought with credits no longer offer LTI. He would have to buy a warbond or a warbond pack(i assume larger summed packs may still get LTI but we dont know yet.).

@SoloFlyer my best suggestion for you is buy 1 or 2 warbond ships which are around your goal prices and buy CCUs to ships you want to eventually own. You should draw a map out to see what you want in the end and start getting ccus along the way(You could get lucky and get one CCU which has a price increase). If you ever looked in my hanger you would get lost trying to navigate around all the CCUs i have as i prep for my next big ship.
so if i understand it correctly, if i'm able to get a cheap ship with LTI, I won't be able to get the one I want if I melt it, just hold onto it and wait until I can CCU it to the ship I want?

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
so if i understand it correctly, if i'm able to get a cheap ship with LTI, I won't be able to get the one I want if I melt it, just hold onto it and wait until I can CCU it to the ship I want?
If you buy a cheap ship with LTI and melt it then it will keep the LTI. The current deal is though the only ships that come with LTI now are warbond which means you have to use fresh money. The only other way is to buy an LTI ship from one of our shops in the marketplace after you have 3 months in test.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
@SoloFlyer there is a wealth of information I'm this thread. You can PM almost any one of is and we'll walk you through the process.

Buy your Vulture, and buy an LTI token when you can (from a cheap concept sale or from someone in test). In November, upgrade to whatever ship you want.

Barring that, I do believe I have one original concept Prospector left in my buybacks that is listed for sale on my Emporium thread in the marketplace. $140 iirc. ;)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Note of caution: Never melt your original game package - If it goes, so does your access to the game.

If like me you have CCU'd your original game package ship and have value locked into a ship you don't want, you can melt the game package and buy it back from your buybacks list either with fresh money or by using a bit of the store credit you have unlocked, but you only get one Store Credit Buyback token every 3 months to do this with so if you want to use credit make sure you have a token.

EXAMPLE:

You have an Aurora MR game package. You CCU'd it to a Hornet Ghost, but then the 100i concept sale happened and you learn about LTI and want it. The Aurora costs $54 and the Hornet Ghost $150 - you have a total of $150 locked in this ship, locked to your game package.

Melting the game package gives you $150 Store Credit but takes away your access to the game so you need it back ASAP. You can now either pay $54 in new money to buy your game package out of buyback, OR you can use $54 of your store credit and say bye bye to your credit-buyback-token until it is refreshed at the end of the quarter.

You now have your game package back and either $96 store credit and no buyback token, or $150 store credit, your token and a spend on new money of $54. The store-credit-buyback token is not worth anything as it refreshes, so your choice.

So, how to put LTI on your Hornet Ghost?

The 100i came with LTI during the concept sale and cost $45. The Hornet Ghost costs $150.

Buying the LTI 100i costs $45 in real money and cannot be bought with store credit and retain the LTI, so this is a new-money cost. The next concept ship sale may be more expensive, it may be even cheaper, that is an unknown but the value of the concept ship will go into the value of the ship you actually want so you can't really loose out there... your intention is to buy LTI and sort of "pay a deposit" on the ship you actually want.

Now you have an LTI 100i for $45. You can now buy a CCU (cross chassis upgrade) from the 100i to the Hornet Ghost - the CCU costs the difference between the two ships, so in this case $105. This can either be bought with fresh cash, or with the Store Credit from the original melting in this example ($96 needing $9 new money too if credit was used for the buyback, or from your store credit leaving you with $45 store credit if you bought your game package back with new money).

WARNING: be aware, If the LTI ship is more expensive than the ship you are aiming for, you can't CCU to it.

Once the CCU is bought, go in to "My Hanger" in your account click on the CCU and it will instruct you from there how to apply it to your 100i.

Job done, you now have a non-LTI Aurora MR which is tied to your game package and an LTI Hornet Ghost which you can how happily throw at things without a care in the world if it gets scratched.

Heartwood

Space Marshal
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Heartwood
In theory yes, but if you melt the gifted ship (which isn't giftable anymore) and buy it back 24 hours later with cash, then it is giftable again.
Indeed that is possible. And then again: If the ship's base is another ship (like most of mine) and has been CCU'ed into the desired ship, melting it will likely not be an option (as only the base ship can be bought back, any upgrade will be lost).

Star Citizen, ship buying simulator at it's best! Buy the new magazine now and see how Chris Roberts solves the puzzle of getting a saber raven LTI from a 0$ ccu starting with the beloved aurora 1337 series!

Last edited:

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I picked up a nox with LTI from the marketplace here, so I should be ok when the prospector comes available again.

CIG is moving more and more away from LTI, its not that big of a deal. Insurance is going to be just a tiny tiny fraction of the ships. Wouldnt wrap your head around it too much.
I know they've said since pretty much the beginning not to focus on the LTI stuff, but I know me. I know its a matter of time before I blow up my ship only to find out I forgot to renew my insurance and now no more ship lol. the main reason i'm putting my little fleet together now is that I have no idea how challenging it will be to earn credits in game, haven't had much luck so far in 3.x due to crashes plus this is only the alpha so the economic stuff is bound to change i'm sure

Forgot your password?