Realistic SC paper maps for Captains/Pilots

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
This is such a great job. Very elegant solution. The only thing I would add is a way to differentiate the origin system from the Jump Point Connection frame. A big black dot. Otherwise, nothing really jumps out.
I centered the system (odin in this case) in the jump point frame but is that where you mean change it? Have all the other systems stay the same symbol but the system the map is depicting be a larger more noticeable symbol?

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
I centered the system (odin in this case) in the jump point frame but is that where you mean change it? Have all the other systems stay the same symbol but the system the map is depicting be a larger more noticeable symbol?
Yeah, when I was looking at that map, it didn't read well. With a more prominent symbol, it would make it easier. It's not much but it will help draw the eye.

AwesomeDude

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 25, 2015
RSI Handle
TheAwesomeDude
Looks great! My only suggestion would be to add the distances for the planets in astronomical units(AU) you can find them on ark by using the routing system.

Edit: what is that font? I see it a lot with various diagrams but I don't know what it actually is.

Reactions: KingNerd

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Hey if you make a bunch of systems, would you mind letting us have them printed at our own local shops so we could have them bound? :D

Knax

Overwatch Room
Staff member
Donor
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
Knax
Dude this is awesome, when you get the finalized version of the maps you should totally do a book of star charts.

MagykLynk

Space Marshal
Aug 18, 2015
RSI Handle
Reizel
figured i should throw my voice in behind this, love the idea and would love to have some maps (over sized or even standard size)

Ryan2534

Vice Admiral
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
MontoyasNipples
HOLY SHIT! This is the coolest Thing EVER! @KingNerd First off Thank you for gracing us with your presence. Second That is the coolest FUCKING MAP EVER! If you print those out and make like a star chart book PEOPLE WOULD BUY THAT INSTANTLY. Big Maps of our HQ, wherever it is, or just of all the connecting systems. I would buy like at least 10 big posters of star systems to frame cause they LOOK DOPE AF. or just have handy for when the game comes out. Nonetheless you can make MAD CASH with these maps. ANYWAY, amazing job dude like you're awesome. Post when you have more come out I NEED THEM ALL!!!!

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I gotta chime in too, these maps look absolutely fantastic. With the edits to call out the jump points more clearly as suggested by Space Monkey, I have nothing more to add. Although, if you manage to dig up someone who can do it up in a full-size blueprint style, I might come out of pocket for a couple of those...

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
I can't think of any way to do it in blue but I think you're totally right. If it were an option or you can find one for me let me know, I'd love to give it a classical look which would be awesome. A classic blue print of a futuristic star chart, that would be freaking awesome!
Could we simply use blue colored paper with similar feeling (thin), then print white lines on first layer and then colors over that? It might not have that washed look but would still be neat.

This guy also teaches you to make your own. In fact its a SC aurora picture! QUICK SOMEONE INVITE HIM TO TEST!

https://hackaday.io/project/546-authentic-blueprints

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
Wow guys thanks for all of the awesome feedback. I am formulating ideas to try and get some blue prints made here at home, thanks for posting the link to the guy who did it at home it looks like it's not that hard I just need the right chemicals (no meth lab stuff for me anymore!)

Anyways, I'll try to have a map of Nyx up tomorrow for everybody to take a look at, I don't know how well it will fly trying to sell something made from the lore of Star Citizen and I definitely don't want to piss off CIG but I'm dead set on sending a couple of these to Chris Roberts and seeing if he likes them :)

I think what I've decided to do is work in a single sector and since I've stated in the Nyx area I might as well finish them all up. Could somebody provide me with an accurate list of what star's that would be so I can start knocking them out? Then perhaps I could work with MzHartz to bring you guys a full atlas of the Nyx sector with maps of all the solar systems along with the option to get full sized maps (blue prints if possible) of individual solar systems that you can hang up.

Anyways, slowly but surely guys, thanks again for giving me the boost in confidence and I'll start putting my head to the grindstone for you!

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Be sure to talk to Adiran and Space Monkey they were working on a rather in-depth diagram of the star maps.

Reactions: HeadClot

Knax

Overwatch Room
Staff member
Donor
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
Knax
Wow guys thanks for all of the awesome feedback. I am formulating ideas to try and get some blue prints made here at home, thanks for posting the link to the guy who did it at home it looks like it's not that hard I just need the right chemicals (no meth lab stuff for me anymore!)

Anyways, I'll try to have a map of Nyx up tomorrow for everybody to take a look at, I don't know how well it will fly trying to sell something made from the lore of Star Citizen and I definitely don't want to piss off CIG but I'm dead set on sending a couple of these to Chris Roberts and seeing if he likes them :)

I think what I've decided to do is work in a single sector and since I've stated in the Nyx area I might as well finish them all up. Could somebody provide me with an accurate list of what star's that would be so I can start knocking them out? Then perhaps I could work with MzHartz to bring you guys a full atlas of the Nyx sector with maps of all the solar systems along with the option to get full sized maps (blue prints if possible) of individual solar systems that you can hang up.

Anyways, slowly but surely guys, thanks again for giving me the boost in confidence and I'll start putting my head to the grindstone for you!
yeah if i can get a poster of the first system i discover that and you would be awesome.

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
Last edited:
Reactions: HeadClot

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
I've never posted anything on the Fans Spotlight until last night but it seems like it's doing pretty good thanks to you guys :) I'm number two on the Hot chart and number 6 on the Fresh :) That's awesome!

Reactions: Knax

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
Looks great! My only suggestion would be to add the distances for the planets in astronomical units(AU) you can find them on ark by using the routing system.

Edit: what is that font? I see it a lot with various diagrams but I don't know what it actually is.
Most of the font is "simplex". Also, when I tried to calculate distances in the routing system I could go system to system in the galaxy map and it would sometimes give me a weird AU sometimes it would just be 0. I'll see if I can get the plant to planet AU, I'd like to measure from the sun as the center out to the planets but technically that changes during their elliptical cycle though by how much I don't know.

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
Alright guys here's my first shot at the Nyx map please give me some feedback :) This one is larger, it's at the same basic scale but it's on a 24"x36" because the system was a little more detailed and large. Also some small edits were made to the Odin system, renamed Kellos to Kellog which is what it says on the ARK map, also boldened the current system in the jump points detail area.

EDIT: It appears that once I upload an image in my RSI citizen spotlight I can go back and edit text but I can't upload more images? I might wait to do a couple more before I start another spotlight. Do you guys think I should one big spotlight with a bunch of maps or should I do one for every map I make?

Attachments

Reactions: Ryan2534
Forgot your password?