Road to Mumble - Stress TEST Friday Dec 5th

Croswell

Space Marshal
Mar 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Croswell
If people don't have a PTT set, I will mute them. Fuck people that won't set a PTT. Fuck them in their stupid annoying asses.

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
We don't.

To have a server with as many users as we have members (not including affiliates), we require one.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
We don't.

To have a server with as many users as we have members (not including affiliates), we require one.
Getting a TS license and server is not a problem.

As an org, we can probably raise enough money to buy out the actual company if we wanted to!

The reason we are trying out mumble is that it is a proven platform tested under the weight of 15,000 man alliances in Eve Online. If it works for the huge organizations there, then it can work for us here.

Reactions: ShadyBrady

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
So do we have anyone, or know anyone who has done the work of setting up and maintaining one of those 15,000 man servers and handling the sort of headaches entailed in getting the features we desire working?

Erroll

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Erroll
Got it working, I will try to remember to step in for a few Friday night.

Macabre Poetry

Official Signature Generator Bot
Apr 24, 2014
RSI Handle
MacabrePoetry
It's important to note that this isn't a rash decision either and talk really started about it in probably early June. We weren't going to make the switch unless we were certain it was going to work. Montoyas a smart guy and we have a lot of diversified talent that can support this architecture.

Reactions: GlassCloud

Flashwit

Space Marshal
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Flashwit
I'm no expert but I'm fairly sure Mumble will be able to handle all our required features. If not built in there's going to be some plugin to do it. There's a reason it supplanted teamspeak/ventrilo in a lot of places.

Reactions: GlassCloud

Cyinni

Vice Admiral
Jan 20, 2014
RSI Handle
Cyinni
Seems to be handling a floating population of a dozen+ people pretty well the next day. How did the full stress-test go?

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
So...Mumble seemed to work pretty good, but for a few problems that were more about the hardware and windows configuration of said hardware. We'll need to try again when we can get more than the 25-ish people who managed to motivate their asses...err...kindly make the time in their busy schedules to assist with this trial run.

Erroll

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Erroll
I had a weird issue where I had to select the specific microphone rather than leave it as the default microphone. Once I did that it worked ok but I had also run out of time to chit chat. Seems to work well. It was clear and nobody had wildly different levels which is a problem that plagues vent.

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
Personally I think Mumble works fine. Sure Mumble doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Teamspeak has but I don't care much for all the fancy skins, tabs and whatnot. If you can talk it works. Guess I am a bit old school - like to keep things simple to keep my simple brain from overloading.

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
There are a few important things we need that Mumble does not have, simply because of how big TEST is. These include the ability to adjust, on your client, the sound levels coming in from each individual member in the chatroll as well as separate tabs for private messages. There are other things I want but can do without; these two are required.

Forgot your password?