Road to Mumble - Stress TEST Friday Dec 5th

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
There are a few important things we need that Mumble does not have, simply because of how big TEST is. These include the ability to adjust, on your client, the sound levels coming in from each individual member in the chatroll as well as separate tabs for private messages. There are other things I want but can do without; these two are required.
Yes, some people's mics are very low volume on my end, and since I can't adjust it, I can't hear what they're saying. The separate tabs thing isn't that big of a deal for me, but it's slightly nicer to look at in TS.

Reactions: Bothand

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
When you have 5 people PMing you, plus the general chat, all mixed together in one continuously scrolling mess, you'll see what I mean.

Scarthian

The Shadow Broker
Feb 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Scarthian
When you have 5 people PMing you, plus the general chat, all mixed together in one continuously scrolling mess, you'll see what I mean.
Yeah I can imagine it does get a bit crazy but I believe this is also why we are looking into Pidgin. Yes it is a separate chat program but I believe it will solve the issue with getting private messages. I for one did not expect Mumble to be our end all to be quite honest for if you look at Organizations of this size in other games they have in most instances at least 3 separate programs to use. This can range from Mumble/ TS, Jabber, even Skype sometimes for private discussions. Now while I enjoy the volume thing on TS their were issues trying to get our own server and a lot of hassle in the background which attributed to going to mumble instead.

Hopefully as we work out the kinks I believe eventually we will probably have a general pack of the different communication services involved. Some kinks to iron out and what not but down the road I won't be surprised if we have a few programs that will compliment each other to provide everything we need. Just think of mumble as the first drunken step in the road of many.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Divide and conquer... We need separate comm buses, that is why we need to go to a Mumble/XMPP integration or something similar. Yes, TS is nice with everything stuck in it but a DDOS attack is something we should be expecting on any major operation.

Reactions: CrashMan054

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
I think I figured out the TS3 thing. The TS NPL licensing rules state, "When we verify your website, it CANNOT have any donation buttons, advertising, marketplace/stores/shops, or commercial activity of any kind. It must also not contain links to other websites with commercial activity." We have an Amazon link on our website, which immediately disqualifies us. Also, the user cap on the TS NPL is 512; we have more than twice that in core membership alone, with many times that when you include affiliates.

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz
I think I figured out the TS3 thing. The TS NPL licensing rules state, "When we verify your website, it CANNOT have any donation buttons, advertising, marketplace/stores/shops, or commercial activity of any kind. It must also not contain links to other websites with commercial activity." We have an Amazon link on our website, which immediately disqualifies us. Also, the user cap on the TS NPL is 512; we have more than twice that in core membership alone, with many times that when you include affiliates.
Yes, this process was already done a few months ago. NPL was not a viable option for us.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
At the time when we looked into it, we removed all those things you mentioned.

The only think we had a was a link to our subreddit, which is reddit, which is a commercial site. They declined based off this.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Its not too bad, $300 for 512 slot.

The cost is not an issue, its just that mumble is open source and a lot more flexible.

Husker

Grand Admiral
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Husker2166
Ok I'm trying out the mobile app. Has anyone had any experience with it yet? It's asking me for info I'm not 100% sure on.

Server name
Server hostname or server ip
Server, username or certificate password

I'm using Mumblefy by the way.

Macabre Poetry

Official Signature Generator Bot
Apr 24, 2014
RSI Handle
MacabrePoetry
Ok I'm trying out the mobile app. Has anyone had any experience with it yet? It's asking me for info I'm not 100% sure on.

Server name
Server hostname or server ip
Server, username or certificate password

I'm using Mumblefy by the way.
You can name the server anything. It saves that as the connection name.

Hostname is mumble.testsquadron.Com

Your username. And you can also copy your certificate to your phone I imagone if you made a certificate on the cpu client.

Husker

Grand Admiral
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Husker2166
You can name the server anything. It saves that as the connection name.

Hostname is mumble.testsquadron.Com

Your username. And you can also copy your certificate to your phone I imagone if you made a certificate on the cpu client.

I forgot to mention I need a server port also.

Attachments

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz
What makes it more flexible?
The magnitude of plugins available that work well with integrating with other services. auto-afk, prevention of recoding, max users, auto-moderators, jabber/pidgin integration, better SSO support, etc. Much more light-weight and will be able to handle larger numbers of players without any issues...in the thousands.

You don't want to have all services in one. If we rely 100% on TS3 for all comm services, if that service goes down or gets attacked, we're SOL.

Forgot your password?