RSI Polaris

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
Yeah I have a feeling they'll be showing it off at CitizenCon later this year. Being in the same timezone, I hope to see you on my wing harassing TEST's enemies late in the night.

When did the Carrack get an update? Can you link me some of that information? and yeah, honestly I thought it would be a bit bigger, but i've seen Ben L. say in February that it's going to be "about 100-125m long" and later (I think) that it will be about Carrack size.

Yeah I don't expect it to have a hangar at all. Except maybe in a cargo hold type area for one of those little transport shuttles like we saw on the Idris walkthrough but even then, I expect it to be an anti-fighter capital, hopefully some kind of missile boat with a mass storage of ammo so it can just make it rain.

I've been off the hype train for a little while, I wasn't aware the Carrack had an update, how is it a mini frigate though? It's offensive capabilities will be limited, its ship bay probably tiny... besides being bigish, I don't see how it compares to a frig.
The carrack as it sits on the website is 120. No news on white box size or anything like that. But i expect the carrack to grow (not a whole lot but get bigger all the same) as well as polaris as well when its actually made in game. But the 2 will likely be pretty close to the same size.

Makes me wonder why they are only calling the polaris a corvett. Since its gona be roughly the same size as carrack, 890 jump.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
The carrack as it sits on the website is 120. No news on white box size or anything like that. But i expect the carrack to grow (not a whole lot but get bigger all the same) as well as polaris as well when its actually made in game. But the 2 will likely be pretty close to the same size.

Makes me wonder why they are only calling the polaris a corvett. Since its gona be roughly the same size as carrack, 890 jump.
Still 'want.' Well shall see if that lines up with 'need'

bryceedmundo

Space Marshal
Dec 20, 2014
RSI Handle
bryceedmundo
I'm inclined to keep my Merchantman... it's one of the earlier announced ships that people have been dying to see but still is nowhere near completion so its not entirely unreasonable to hope that they do an Idris Corvette/Frig thing where the Merchantman owners get a lot more ship than they payed for. Also, if the Merchantman still has it's big spinal mount it'll really be able to bring the pain. Also it'll make for a good utility ship for moving stuff around.

Mog_No_1

Captain
Donor
May 3, 2016
RSI Handle
I'm inclined to keep my Merchantman... it's one of the earlier announced ships that people have been dying to see but still is nowhere near completion so its not entirely unreasonable to hope that they do an Idris Corvette/Frig thing where the Merchantman owners get a lot more ship than they payed for. Also, if the Merchantman still has it's big spinal mount it'll really be able to bring the pain. Also it'll make for a good utility ship for moving stuff around.
Greetings fellow owner of the Banu MM with sophistication and impressive tastes! :D I think your 100% on the money, will certainly get some tweeks I think, doubt you'll see a Banu Friget as the end result though. I'd suggest at a bare miniumum the original package would have to get an update with a poster and model to marry in with all the concept sales in recent times, looks bare bones currently. Love the look of this ship and the fact it's known as a 'wolf in sheeps clothing' so it should be able to get an arsenal attached for all those pesky pirates. Also is the biggest ship to make surface landings from what I have seen sooooooo its bigger than the Carrack? Interesting.........:eek: Wish there were more details to read about it to get me all hot and bothered! LOL:rolleyes:

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
I like banu.
Is it a corvette?
Pew pew DaKKa DaKKa.
The banu, carrack, and 890 jump are all as big or bigger than the polaris. Meaning they should all be considered corvetts. However cig is only calling the polaris one. Wich makes no sence.

Mog_No_1

Captain
Donor
May 3, 2016
RSI Handle
The banu, carrack, and 890 jump are all as big or bigger than the polaris. Meaning they should all be considered corvetts. However cig is only calling the polaris one. Wich makes no sence.
Doesnt make much sence though, question CIG should explain.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
unless corvette name is for military fighting ships only. There are yachts larger than corvettes now days.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I do think however your underestimating the difficulty in ransacking another vessel, it wont be an easy mechanic to master on any ship let alone a Corvette of all things. Guaranteed you will require a fleet of pirates and expect half of you to get wiped out in the process. Plus who is to say there are not like minded captains like me that in the end wont just blow the ship once your about to take it.
You make a good point but I don't think it will be an easy thing to do. I think the FPS combat people think they need to plan for is a minor portion of the task since most times you are looking to attack ships that do not have active players aboard and if they do, just one or two. Most times people will not leave their ships unattended in deep space for fear of pirates, but exploration craft like the Carrack are designed to be out in the farthest reaches and you can't commute back to your hangar from there every time you need to get some real world sleep, so that's where to find Carrack's.

As for self destruct. . .are you sure those work once you've been hit by an EMP? I think Warlock's may be more dangerous than you suppose. . .

Also as far as the NPCs go. Doubtful you'll have enough available by CIG to solo the Corvette.
Honestly I'm not sure I want a Corvette yet. I want to take one or ten, but I'm not sure i want to keep them. We'll see. I know I want a Carrack. The tourble is, even if you have 10 NPC's aboard and 10 players, you might have long periods of time where only 1 or 2 players will be aboard to respond to an attack, so I think it is going to happen that in some ways ships will be easier to steal than defend. We'll see.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Disappointing we still haven't see the Polaris. This is what it was last compared to, the Vandal Void:

LENGTH 124m
BEAM 90m
HEIGHT 33m
MAX CREW UNKNOWN
POWER PLANT 4 (equivalent)
ENGINE (PRIMARY THRUSTER) 3x TR5 (equivalent)
MANEUVERING THRUSTERS 10x TR3 (equivalent)
SHIELD 5 (equivalent)
FIXED GUNS 3 x Size 6 – Electron Cannon
MISSILES 4 x Size 4 – Triple-Mount Torpedo Cluster
TURRETS 7 x Size 4 – Laser Repeater Turret

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14774-Classified-Report-Vanduul-Bomber-Identified

That is not enough power plant for 7 energy weapon turrets unless other ships are way over their energy requirements. It is hard to say about the maneuverability and speed since the Vanduul ships have the huge cutting surfaces that extend the dimensions but not so much the mass. This ship should mass out much less than one would guess from these stats. A comparable UEE ship would have less beam, I would think. Probably near the mass of a Carrack but much more heavily armed, and faster, and with no ship-tender bay. Note that as a class, Corvettes do not generally sport heavy ship-to-ship weapons. They are not intended to go up against ships of the line, except in boarding circumstances. Usually, Corvettes are intended to go up against smaller or like sized vessels, so they don't need S5 turrets. They benefit from more, smaller turrets like this above. However these also have 3 anti-ship weapons so. . .who knows?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDUQWL4loAU

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The banu, carrack, and 890 jump are all as big or bigger than the polaris. Meaning they should all be considered corvettes. However cig is only calling the polaris one. Which makes no sence.
Corvettes are military ships, smaller than "ships of the line" like Frigates and typically very fast. Banu and 890 Jump are not military. One is a merchantman freighter and the other is a luxury yacht. The Carrack is a dedicated explorer and the Polaris is likely almost twice its mass, so I don't think you have any comparison here.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Team work. I intend to be the grey man who does y'all favours . . .until I've crossed the line. Then someone else will step into my roll. But my intention is to stay just on the line. We'll see how that works.
There is a means to remove points from your outlaw status. I saw someone running the missions the other day. You basically have to break into a comm station and hack the grid there, and if you can hold that room while security attacks you during the hack, you get a point removed. So you can move up and down the outlaw status progression albeit with some effort.

Point is though, that someone with a lawful status working with someone with an outlaw status can make use of the best of both worlds. It looks like UEE tracks actual ships, so a mixed team that swaps ships on the UEE periphery might make the most sense. Surely if you want to attack and take ships other than Vandal, you want to operate outside UEE space.

I could be happy specializing in taking Vandal Void bombers though. Those ships look very cool and with reactor upgrades would be hard to stop.

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
Corvettes are military ships, smaller than "ships of the line" like Frigates and typically very fast. Banu and 890 Jump are not military. One is a merchantman freighter and the other is a luxury yacht. The Carrack is a dedicated explorer and the Polaris is likely almost twice its mass, so I don't think you have any comparison here.
Then why not call the carrack (a former military ship) at least a former corvette? If not a actual corvette.

Its not important in any way wether they call it one or not, and likly im one of the verry few that it bugs. Just my opinion on it.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Then why not call the carrack (a former military ship) at least a former corvette?
Hard to say why CIG does what they do. It is fair to note they are pretty shrewd. Remember their main business is selling cyber-ships. They know that many players will be attracted to the class of ships that is the last thing before a ship of the line, just because big ships like the Idris, Javelin and Bengal require lots of players. The Corvettes appear at this time could be crewed by smallish handfuls of players with their NPC's. I would expect the Polaris will be in that class, like the Vandal Void above--that you could man it well with just 8-10 PC's and twice that many NPC's. In general you want about 3X as many characters as is needed since they won't all be playing at the same time. You could crew the Void with 8 players. This is much better than needing 50 PC's for a Javelin or some such. So compare the Void against the Carrack. It has more than twice the firepower, and half that of a Javelin. It's a nice middle size for pirates and power-mongers who want to rule the world.

The question for me is, do I want a Polaris or a Void? The Void looks really interesting. I'd love to specialize in capturing ships like that. TEST PALS could run a whole fleet of them. If the ship is fast and the spinal mounts have the damage and range one hopes, they will be amazing craft. Pretty much all a "Corvette" should be.

FYI, "Corvettes" are the archetypal pirate ships. From the Barbary Wars to the Spanish Main, thugs have loaded far too many people aboard fast ships and boarded more heavily armed vessels so they could fight hand-to-hand to win their booty. To be a true Corvette a ship needs to be fast.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?