SC competition to win a Hurculese

MegaMonkey

Vice Admiral
Sep 12, 2017
RSI Handle
MegaMonkey
Thanks for sharing your story, some nice rapport and I think some popular culture references in there :slight_smile: - not sure what you mean about not being able to vote... If you are in Spectrum, which you will be to have been able to post your story, you can do anything you like :slight_smile:
I meant if I put a link and friends of mine who don't own a game package (and also most probably don't have an account on RSI webpage) will be able to see/vote :D

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I meant if I put a link and friends of mine who don't own a game package (and also most probably don't have an account on RSI webpage) will be able to see/vote :smile:
I think they'll be able to see but not vote :)

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
That was a wonderful read! I think you must have had some experience making limericks?
I started out making it into a drunken limerick & I got rather far, but when I went to save it before word checking, my PC crashed. Starting over wasn't fun, but gave me the idea to do it more like it is now. Although, in truth, when I initially finished it, it was at 400 words due to having added far more references to the story they invited us to use as inspiration. So I had to stream line it a bit & get creative with my story to get it down to exactly 250 words. Sadly, that meant that meant cutting quite a few lines. I had even tried to sneak in lines like,

"Hold my beer, I've got this, check this out.
TEST Squardon rules without a doubt."

I really wanted to keep those, but due to length limits & that they said "Stories that contain real world people or brands is not allowed" I didn't want to be disqualified for keeping things real. lols

So far all of the stories from our wonderful TEST members have been fantastic as far as I'm concerned. Happily upvoted my friend.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I started out making it into a drunken limerick & I got rather far, but when I went to save it before word checking, my PC crashed. Starting over wasn't fun, but gave me the idea to do it more like it is now. Although, in truth, when I initially finished it, it was at 400 words due to having added far more references to the story they invited us to use as inspiration. So I had to stream line it a bit & get creative with my story to get it down to exactly 250 words. Sadly, that meant that meant cutting quite a few lines. I had even tried to sneak in lines like,

"Hold my beer, I've got this, check this out.
TEST Squardon rules without a doubt."

I really wanted to keep those, but due to length limits & that they said "Stories that contain real world people or brands is not allowed" I didn't want to be disqualified for keeping things real. lols

So far all of the stories from our wonderful TEST members have been fantastic as far as I'm concerned. Happily upvoted my friend.
We'll need a directors cut for the forum :)

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
We'll need a directors cut for the forum :slight_smile:
I'll have to recreate what I had, I was exhausted & frustrated with the set back of having to rewrite it when I realized that I'd done too much. So I trimmed a pair of lines at a time until I got close without thinking to save the full version as something else. LoL Oops Damn that 250 word max limit.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
My go at it:
I hate length restrictions but I wouldnt want to read 300 of these stupid things either CIG person.

-Kellog VI, QuarterDeck-
-Level 82, Max Security Interrogation Room 16C-

The pencilpusher looked like a soaked rat. Beady eyes, hooked nose, and a hair of head so thin it would be been a mercy to shave it bare.

“Mr. McKenna, under UEE Regulations and pertinent laws you have be found guilty in absentia of the crimes, including but not limited to piracy, armed assault, and illegal ship/weapon modifications. As a standard briefing we will be asking you about the ship and equipment. Your cooperation will be taken into effect for your sentencing later this month.”

Might as well talk, they already impounded the Lucky Number 13.

“Mr. McKenna, you and 7 others were arrested in the possession of a stolen UEE Navy A2 Hercules dropship, registration number 1413-”

Gotta interrupt before he talks all day.

“I don’t care what the UEE Navy called it, but yeah, we got dropped by that Idris in our Herc. Lucky Number 13 we called her. Not so lucky, I guess?”

“Why, Mr. McKenna? Advocacy has intel that your pirate clan has access to several other heavy vehicles and ships that would be equally suited to-”

“Let me stop you right there poindexter. Yeah, we could have hit that ammo dump with our Cats or few Cutlasses instead. But when you need to scare the living word out of anyone, nothing says ‘surrender or we’ll blow you to high hell’ like a few MOABs backed up by more guns than a wing of Hornets.”

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
And I'm no professional writer or anything but some of the ones on Spectrum are just shockingly bad.
I admit that I'm no professional & I wasn't able to finish college, but I did my best.

Lol and watch, one of them wins an A2 for it! :beer:
I'd be more than happy if 1 or both of the winning Herc contest submissions ended up being awarded to TESTies.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Lol and watch, one of them wins an A2 for it! :beer:
I'm hoping thats the case because mines got the fun concept but the structure and pacing is a pile of arse. Fingers crossed!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
My go at it:
I hate length restrictions but I wouldnt want to read 300 of these stupid things either CIG person.

-Kellog VI, QuarterDeck-

The pencilpusher looked like a soaked rat. Beady eyes, hooked nose, and a hair of head so thin it would be been a mercy to shave it bare.

“Mr. McKenna, under UEE Regulations and pertinent laws you have be found guilty in absentia of the crimes, including but not limited to piracy, armed assault, and illegal ship/weapon modifications. As a standard briefing we will be asking you about the ship and equipment. Your cooperation will be taken into effect for your sentencing later this month.”

“Mr. McKenna, you and 7 others were arrested in the possession of a stolen UEE Navy A2 Hercules dropship, registration number 1413-”

“I don’t care what the UEE Navy called it, but yeah, we got dropped by that Idris in our Herc. Lucky Number 13 we called her. Not so lucky, I guess?”

“Why, Mr. McKenna? Advocacy has intel that your pirate clan has access to several other heavy vehicles and ships that would be equally suited to-”

“Let me stop you right there poindexter. Yeah, we could have hit that ammo dump with our Cats or few Cutlasses instead. But when you need to scare the living word out of anyone, nothing says ‘surrender or we’ll blow you to high hell’ like a few MOABs backed up by more guns than a wing of Hornets.”
Very nice story @AntiSqueaker :)

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I'm hoping thats the case because mines got the fun concept but the structure and pacing is a pile of arse. Fingers crossed!
... I like arse though...

lol no no it's good

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
My go at it:

-Kellog VI, QuarterDeck-

Nice, really lends the ship a bit of character and gravitas :)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Such a human story, really nice. I liked the lives in space aspect and a ship and previous ship being a home.

I also really like the way you constructed your sentences - I'm not sure if it was intentional, but I was hit by the realization that if you live in space for months at a time and only land for short periods to load and unload you are not going to have many conversations with many people and get a bit out of the loop with the latest slang and wording. Made it feel like this family might even have been from another system very far off originally, where syntax works or is formed differently.

It felt very much like lives lived in space.

Firen

Vice Admiral
Feb 6, 2018
RSI Handle
jeremyD
you hit the mark, that was intentionnal though i had a hard time to creat it in french then translate it in English to then change it to get to the 250 words limit.
The first shot was over 350 words and was filled with way more detail. like the fact that there father modified to wings of the gladius to fit better in the cargo hold :).
But i had to make choice

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
When I first saw it, I thought I was hallucinating. The clouds above lit up like I have never seen before, as if the heavens themselves had woken to intervene in our little conflict. It rained in thick sheets of red energy from the sky, decimating anything and everything that dare stand in its sweep across the battlefield. Vanduul fell before the onslaught like so many blades of grass under a scythe, obscuring the entire area with the chaos of fire and blood.

Our Starfarer fell from orbit during the initial attack, and we were left to fend for ourselves for over four hours in that Vanduul infested forest before our saviors arrived in their Hercules. I remember that it all started with a series of soul-rattling booms in the distance; four if I recall correctly. But one thing I will never forget is how the ground shook when they hit. Ooh It was simultaneously so beautiful yet so terrifying at the same time; To know that the thunderous horror was directed toward your enemy.

Makes a man feel powerful, ya know? As if God himself is above, waiting to smite enemies at your command. I will be forever grateful to the men and women aboard that A2 that day. They recovered us and an entire stranded platoon before the night was over. I never would have made it home without the Hercules, so that is why I have decided to pay it forward by crewing on one myself.

Forgot your password?