[Semi-Serious Not Really] The Economy of Likes

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Since the start of TEST Squadron in October 2013, we have shown a very healthy growth in forum activity despite the rising competitiveness of alternate social platforms such as Discord. Even when accounting for "stale" periods in SC development, we have shown constant growth.

Figure 1: Cummulative Users Active / Posts from Origin of Forums to Current Day

Recently, I have noticed a quite sudden popularity in Like/Meme Central threads where it is common behavior to Like the posts of those above you after replying to said thread. I was curious on how this is affecting the economy of "Likes". I present to you the following graph which includes like stats.

Figure 2: Holy F$#& (our annual quota of F&$@s given has been depleted go blame Snakey)

We see a sudden exponential increase in the number of likes being given out starting in around Jan/Feb of 2016. We see that there is little positive correlation with the number of posts/threads going up so we are currently devaluing the "like" market by by at least 8 times (so a like today is worth around 12.5% of a like in Jan 2016).

I ruled out the creation of "Don't Like Me Thread" as a culprit for this exponential increase as that was introduced in July 2015 and we don't see the increase until early 2016 (nearly 6 months afterwards).

Well, it turns out a few select active forum-users today signed up in the January~March of 2016 and almost single-handedly caused the rampant increases in the number of likes being given out. Not only handing out I could release the names but won't due to privacy concerns. So I let you off the hook this time @Sam K Macer , @Grimbli, @marcsand2 , @CrudeSasquatch , @Zapp Brannigan , @Han Burgundy , @Phantomoftruth , @Thugari , @GeneticPredator , @NaffNaffBobFace , & @Accented .

so you all might be asking...
HOW THE FUCK DOES THIS IMPACT ME?
Also do I get free pitchforks and torches?

Well...it doesn't. Go shitpost more you fools.

And thanks to all the forum users to making this the most active Star Citizen forums (filled with the best memes and the best drama and the best shit posts):)
I don't know why you mentioned me @SeungRyul - as I joined TEST forums in March 2016, and looking to your graphs: its not my fault! :D

But this downtrend in likes has to be stopped, thats for sure. Well, here comes the first aid workers: as Owl and I return, we will be able to manage and cure the like-curve which recently decreases. Right @Blind Owl ? Just put some oil under your mouse button against probable heat issues - and start to like! :D

https://econsciousconsulting.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/horror-like.jpg

Gearen

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Gearen
Don't get why would this ever mean something. Oh people is spamming likes....... and what? Like if that effects something drastically. I'm in the don't like me thread just for the fun of the shitposts and memes, nothing elese. Let people just have fun and don't give that much importance to the like system.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I will sell them likes later on ebay...oh no, wait. Lets face the big picture: I will collect them all, found a company "likebook", sell the likes for a tiny price (like 5$ per like?), make hell-ish lots of money, take over facebook for then selling my company to Microsoft which will, at that time, recently be bought by CIG. :D

Varku

Space Marshal
Apr 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Varku
More Likes!
You dislike somethingß Show your CONCERN by liking it!
You don't care about a Post? Show that you don't care by pressing the like button!
You like a post? why don't show everyone by pressing the like Button?
EDIT jay, for an average of 3.3 Likes per Post!

Harkuno

Sticker King
May 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkuno
by continuing to like every post in this thread, i am further reducing the value of them, causing more damage to the like economy, which may lead to a collapse of the economy entirely, followed by riots, tears and salt, resulting in business as usual i guess, who am i kidding this is TEST squadron :P

Forgot your password?